GDT: Devils @ Lightning - 7:00PM - MSG2

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1706416142266.gif

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I think the blame Ruff crowd and the blame goaltending crowd and the blame luck/injuries crowd all have to realize that none of us are saying it's mutually exclusive.

The game model isn't working as well as last year and the goalies suck and absolutely cost us several games we should have won earlier this season and we are icing half an AHL squad and all of these things are connected and related and share various amounts of the blame on any given night. Changing any one of these things alone is not fixing all of it.
Yes but there's a common denominator. Better coaching will improve how the team plays as a unit, which will improve how they play in front of the goalie, which will improve how the goalie performs, which will mitigate the impact of injuries.

This is NHL 101. Teams with great systems and total buy-in weather these storms better. See: Boston Bruins. Carolina Hurricanes. Pittsburgh Penguins before they got old. Late 2000's NJ Devils.

Not to mention, the same issues are present when there aren't major injuries. The only difference earlier in the season was talent dragged them to wins they often didn't deserve.

If this team wants to win a championship, Lindy is not the f***ing guy. I don't know how much clearer it can be. The injuries have just exposed the flaws further. There's really no point now. Just rip the f***ing band-aid off, as a matter of principle but also maybe we'll get lucky and go on a new-coach run.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Honestly this feels a bit like the month before Lou fired Julien. The lineup was depleted due to injury and they just weren’t competitive in games, but underneath it all threes were deeper issues.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Another disappointing loss but I agree with some here that this was Vitek's "best" game to date (which isn't saying all that much).

This season is lost, folks.

If it wasn't before, it is now.

Are the Devils going to be sellers (sort of) at the deadline? That's what I want to know.
Technically the season isn't lost but if we turn it around or not goal is to compete for multiple cups and best bet is to sell Toffoli get best asset we can and this allows them to move up Holtz and that asset can be used to do moves in the summer where it will be well thought out and some teams will be needing to make moves themselves hopefully keeping the cost within reason....Maybe an Ullmark to hold us until Daws Malek are ready to step in maybe Schmid finds his game....Would allow Clarke to come up too....This team will need miracle to win cup this year is there a shot sure but they probably get bounced first round if they get in at all....

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I am really sick and tired of watching Timo Meier play one horrific game after the other. I have to admit at the time I thought he was the perfect acquisition for us, but it's been almost a year now and he simply doesn't seem to fit. His -23 in 34 games says it all, the eye test says exactly the same. I'd rather put Holtz in his place and let Meier play on the 4th line. That is where he belongs, if not in Utica. As of now I'd say that trade was the worst in franchise history.

Reactions: Mgd31

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
At this point if you wouldn’t go back and undo the Timo Meier trade/extension I do not understand you.

I supported it at the time too, and I don’t think we gave up too much, but he’s been a disaster.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
At this point if you wouldn’t go back and undo the Timo Meier trade/extension I do not understand you.

I supported it at the time too, and I don’t think we gave up too much, but he’s been a disaster.
Yeah, I agree. Let's hope his second full season is as good as Hamilton's once he was fully recovered from his injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad