GDT: Devils @ Hawks 8.30pm - LAMORIELLO INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

Another problem. If Severson and Santini don't turn out to be very, very good Dmen. Our dreams of a stacked D corps is dead, as the others playing in the NHL now are projecting to be not much more than average/journeymen D men.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another problem. If Severson and Santini don't turn out to be very, very good Dmen. Our dreams of a stacked D corps is dead, as the others playing in the NHL now are projecting to be not much more than average/journeymen D men.

What?

What's wrong with Larsson and Merrill? Other than Merrill having a sophomore slump.

kiwidevil

What?

What's wrong with Larsson and Merrill? Other than Merrill having a sophomore slump.

Larsson is probably a lower end top pairing guy and Merrill probably a lower end top 4 guy. If one of the prospects don't come in and be genuine #1's, our group will be more solid than spectacular.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Larsson is probably a lower end top pairing guy and Merrill probably a lower end top 4 guy. If one of the prospects don't come in and be genuine #1's, our group will be more solid than spectacular.

C'mon man. Andy Greene didn't become andy green for another 3 or 4 years. Give them some time. Chara wasn't Chara at age 22 or 23. Warts and all, I couldn't be anymore pleased with what we've got here. I remember just watching the Hasek brodeur duel from 94 thinking what a train wreck that kid niedermayer was... Stevens must have bailed him out 15 times in the first period alone. He made Gelinas look like lidstrom.

Stevens was always great, but he didn't really pull it all together and put a cap on his aggression until he hit 29.

We have some special kids here.

kiwidevil

I just see Larsson's ceiling as a Dan Hamhuis, while Merrill might have a Seidenberg top end.

I just don't think either has shown any X-factor that should at least be visible at times by now. Just no real elite levels in any of the main skills.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I just see Larsson's ceiling as a Dan Hamhuis, while Merrill might have a Seidenberg top end.

I just don't think either has shown any X-factor that should at least be visible at times by now. Just no real elite levels in any of the main skills.

I agree with that, but i think you can still be a contending team without a star on D, assuming you have no major weak points on D.

It's up front where you really need elite talent to succeed IMO. Hell, the Devils made it all the way to the finals in 2012 rolling out guys like Fayne, Harrold, Volch, Sal... No real elite talent there. But they had Zach and Kovy.

kiwidevil

I agree with that, but i think you can still be a contending team without a star on D, assuming you have no major weak points on D.

It's up front where you really need elite talent to succeed IMO. Hell, the Devils made it all the way to the finals in 2012 rolling out guys like Fayne, Harrold, Volch, Sal... No real elite talent there. But they had Zach and Kovy.

Of course you can do it without Elite D men. But our blue print seems to be a real league wide strength through defense. We need a Elite/Genuine #1 to be the back bone of that strength.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I used to scoff at the Marc-Andre Bergeron comparisons but I can't any more. This is a guy who just can't put it together. Not an every night player, at all.

We could of got something nice from his gaudy numbers. He has all the individual parts to fool you but he isn't putting it together.

We need to trade him now to avoid more ******** with his agent but we could of gotten something decent last summer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Lars and Merrill's ceiling is higher. It's a highly cynical view.

Also Santini and Severson are high end. There is zero reason to worry about our D.

And if you really want to we are primed to draft another potential star at D if we choose.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Of course you can do it without Elite D men. But our blue print seems to be a real league wide strength through defense. We need a Elite/Genuine #1 to be the back bone of that strength.

I'd like to see that blueprint adjusted. I'd prefer to have a solid D with no elite players and a legitimate Elite 1st line center than an OK D with an Elite D man and a group of just solid forwards.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

I would be happy with 'Hamhuis' type career for Larsson but first I really want to see him play a full season with Greene + power play time. I think the potential is there to be a 40 point defenceman, and we don't know if we have it with Adam unless we stick with it for an entire season.

Camille the Eel

There's no reason to be disappointed in Larsson. He's been solid since the coaching change, especially in front of our own net and that's where the problem was.

Severson has the potential to be a Drew Doughty caliber guy - you saw him moving the puck fast, with great instincts and anticipation, quarterbacking the power play, skating with the biscuit when necessary . . . Don't over do the comparison. But he has elite potential and is only, what, 19?

Defense is not our problem right now.

Also there are no more doubts about Schneider in the goal. He has proved that he's a # 1 goalie without question.

Our issue is rebuilding up front.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What I envision is a defense as group that will be greater than any individual..

And really that is what we had when we were at our best...yes Stevens and Niedermayer were spectacular but during their best years in New Jersey they were never getting league wide accolades or recognition....guys like Coffey, Bourque, Chelios, Blake and Leetch were winning Norris trophies while being losers...

And the devils put out a Workman-like bunch in Stevens, Niedermayer, Driver, Daneyko, Albelin, Chambers that was solid and never putting up eye poping numbers that got recognition.... they just went about their winning.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

:devils NEW JERSEY DEVILS :devils

LwJ3fSS.png

:hawks CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS :hawks

g7xSGNh.png

*All exaggerations for comic effect. Dont get your panties in a bunch ;)

don't stop by here all that often, but I saw Lams Interview and thought I had to see it. Not what I was expecting...much better.

that was awesome.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would add though that I'm not sure if it is possible to build solid top to bottom teams in a cap world anymore... LA has been able to do it rather successfully but they seem to be the exception... Boston was built that way and they have been having cap difficulties for the last couple of years.

Having 6 good forwards plus 4 good defensemen and a good goalie seems almost an impossible juggling act in today's NHL.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
Some things I observed:
Too many turnovers/bad passes. Chicago is without a doubt the better team so I'm not surprised at the results. Cory Schneider is unbelievable, as is Crawford.
I'm pretty sure someone said Petey Jr. would score here, maybe I'm mistaken. I expected more from the defense tonight. Jon Merrill played most of his game from his stomach on the ice. He seemed a little lost last night with the exception of his zone entry in the 3rd. I want to give Gelinas a pass since he hasn't played in a while but too many no look passes resulting in CHI picking the puck up in the NZ or right in front of Cory, giving us no chance. I'm not sure if Zid was just trying to maintain position on that second goal, but I wish he took out one of them. Was it Greene who stuck with a Hawk on a 2 on 1 and stayed in position to eliminate a chance? Pretty sure it was.
Looked good in the first ~30 minutes. Blackhawks are just better, simple as that.
Not much to say about the offense. Jagr still has it, just no speed. Cammy, Elias, Henrique, Jagr and Zajac seem to be the only one's who are doing well with the Hydra system. Is Zubrus injured or just showing his age? Dropping his stick and kicking at the puck seemed to be his best chance with the puck. Also, Josefson seems more confident with his stick handling ability under the new regime.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
oh well. we lost. checked my imgur, last winning streak I presided over was Rooster Cloweburn :(

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I would add though that I'm not sure if it is possible to build solid top to bottom teams in a cap world anymore... LA has been able to do it rather successfully but they seem to be the exception... Boston was built that way and they have been having cap difficulties for the last couple of years.

Having 6 good forwards plus 4 good defensemen and a good goalie seems almost an impossible juggling act in today's NHL.

Semi-consistent good drafting and roster management is essential to even have a shot at sustaining a good seven or eight year run anymore of being a really good or top team in that timeframe.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Semi-consistent good drafting and roster management is essential to even have a shot at sustaining a good seven or eight year run anymore of being a really good or top team in that timeframe.

And that's why we find ourselves in this predicament 4 of the last 5 seasons.
Horrific forward drafting for over a decade and inconsistent roster mgmt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad