GDT: Devils @ Hawks 8.30pm - LAMORIELLO INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
You know i watched Schneider's post game and he was lost for words, it's clear what the problem is. We can't score goals, the whole purpose of this game is to outscore the opponent. We got one goal and prayed to survive and every single one of us knew that was not going to last. Its ok Schneider just say it, we need to score goals you cant stop them all.

This is embarrassing for Devils fans. Very sad. I have a feeling Lou went down there to die with this team because he knows he's done also. He's classy like that...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Semi-consistent good drafting and roster management is essential to even have a shot at sustaining a good seven or eight year run anymore of being a really good or top team in that timeframe.

You show me a team that has had a good consistent 7 or 8 years of drafting while also being a successful team...that really doesn't exist.

I guess it depends on the definition of good, both at the drafting table and on the ice, but most "good" teams in the league today have gone through prolonged periods of suck to get where they are...it's so easy to look at the final stages of success and say "do it like that" and forget about the sometimes decades of drudgery the organization went through like LA, Chicago, NYR, Montreal, Anaheim, or Pittsburgh.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
You show me a team that has had a good consistent 7 or 8 years of drafting while also being a successful team...that really doesn't exist.

I guess it depends on the definition of good, both at the drafting table and on the ice, but most "good" teams in the league today have gone through prolonged periods of suck to get where they are...it's so easy to look at the final stages of success and say "do it like that" and forget about the sometimes decades of drudgery the organization went through like LA, Chicago, NYR, Montreal, Anaheim, or Pittsburgh.

Easy? C'mon it's the American way!

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The guy from our GDT thread has a few resemblances to Chico. I just noticed that. He even talks about rating foods and how he eats a lot lol.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
You know i watched Schneider's post game and he was lost for words, it's clear what the problem is. We can't score goals, the whole purpose of this game is to outscore the opponent. We got one goal and prayed to survive and every single one of us knew that was not going to last. Its ok Schneider just say it, we need to score goals you cant stop them all.

This is embarrassing for Devils fans. Very sad. I have a feeling Lou went down there to die with this team because he knows he's done also. He's classy like that...

Its the "devils way" according to Lou tho. Doesn't matter if we win 2-1 or 1-0 and offense doesn't really matter....as long as we score that 1 goal. This puts SO much pressure on the goalies to be flawless night in and night out and I feel so bad for Cory. He has to be near PERFECT for this team to even get 1 point these days and then pray someone can score in the shootout for the guy.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

This is embarrassing for Devils fans. Very sad. I have a feeling Lou went down there to die with this team because he knows he's done also. He's classy like that...[/QUOTE]

I think so too.
Lou is 100% class, a throwback, a legend in our organization and in the game of hockey.

I believe he will be asked to retire/resign as GM at season's end.
I said in October that we needed to make the playoffs to continue Lou's reign of hockey operations.

I think by him going to coach was one last hurrah.

Camille the Eel

I doubt it - the team's response since Pete was let go has been very positive. We still have an identity; we still have structure; and there is a sense that we are building. Winning too much is actually counter productive to our position in the draft. Competing and being about 500 with the sense that the young defensemen are gaining confidence and skill - while still selling tickets at the Pru Center these last fifteen to twenty home games - that's actually better.

That's a big plus on where we were spirit wise around New Year. Lou is responsible for the sense of confidence and lack of panic.

He won't go in the off season. No reason for him to. It would in addition be a big mistake. Show me who else is going to take over and keep the sense of identity and confidence going during the rebuild.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

This is embarrassing for Devils fans. Very sad. I have a feeling Lou went down there to die with this team because he knows he's done also. He's classy like that...[/QUOTE]

I think so too.
Lou is 100% class, a throwback, a legend in our organization and in the game of hockey.

I believe he will be asked to retire/resign as GM at season's end.
I said in October that we needed to make the playoffs to continue Lou's reign of hockey operations.

I think by him going to coach was one last hurrah.

Next year will be his farewell tour. Everyone knows that next year will probably be worse. No one is turning this around in 1 year. He'll be retired then. By next year, all the luster and public sympathy will be exhausted. You can already hear the whispers in and around the fanbase. Everyone knows why the team is the way it is. I don't hate the guy but he's in so over his head, it's almost comical.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Next year will be his farewell tour. Everyone knows that next year will probably be worse. No one is turning this around in 1 year. He'll be retired then. By next year, all the luster and public sympathy will be exhausted. You can already here the whispers in and around the fanbase, I don't hate the guy but this is so over his head, it's almost comical.
Yeah, I don't know that.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I doubt it - the team's response since Pete was let go has been very positive. We still have an identity; we still have structure; and there is a sense that we are building. Winning too much is actually counter productive to our position in the draft. Competing and being about 500 with the sense that the young defensemen are gaining confidence and skill - while still selling tickets at the Pru Center these last fifteen to twenty home games - that's actually better.

That's a big plus on where we were spirit wise around New Year. Lou is responsible for the sense of confidence and lack of panic.

He won't go in the off season. No reason for him to. It would in addition be a big mistake. Show me who else is going to take over and keep the sense of identity and confidence going during the rebuild.

Show me how/why Lou is going to make this team a contender.

I'm sure the owners can look around the leagues at other teams' head scouts or assistant GM's who can do a better job than Lou has. This is a team that has missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years with no indication that they will turn that around soon.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Show me how/why Lou is going to make this team a contender.

I'm sure the owners can look around the leagues at other teams' head scouts or assistant GM's who can do a better job than Lou has.

A younger, hungrier guy with a different perspective would do wonders here. Status Quo, while once a strength has been a horrible detriment to this franchise of late.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would add though that I'm not sure if it is possible to build solid top to bottom teams in a cap world anymore... LA has been able to do it rather successfully but they seem to be the exception... Boston was built that way and they have been having cap difficulties for the last couple of years.

Having 6 good forwards plus 4 good defensemen and a good goalie seems almost an impossible juggling act in today's NHL.

Considering the issues LA and Boston are having and the lack of cups for Boston. The window doesn't last very long. Having to pay all these guys and the constant threat of guys leaving without pick compensation anymore.

I think we are well on our way to building the defense like the old days. A high quality unit greater then it's parts. I think we will cobble together a good enough foreard group. Maybe get lucky in a draft and get a superstar or star level guy.

Compete and then it's time to hand out pay checks to all the kids. Wonder what happens next.

Camille the Eel

Wait, what's our identity?

Strong goal tending. Built from the goalie out. Solid defense group. Responsible team defense. Take over center ice and score just enough on the counter attack and forecheck to win. No or few stars, team philosophy. We are not winning with it now, but since Lou has come back behind the bench with Stevens as an assistant (or what do you call them) - the team is trying at least to stick to that script.

Then with Elias and bringing Gomez back and with Stevens behind the bench, preserve some institutional memory.

Plus, in this structure, Lou Lamoriello himself is a big part of the team's identity. As in its personality and its collective memory.

For better or worse that's how it is. For a team playing like we are, my impression is that ticket sales and attendance have been surprisingly steady this year. With owning the arena, the club is solvent. Far from a failed franchise. The idea is keep it that way.

If Lou walks we lose an awful lot of that.

Now I share the same doubts as to rebuilding as everyone else does. But I think there is logic in the five paragraphs above. It makes sense to me.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I think the fear of life after Lou has kept him here longer than he should of.

Is NJ a place players want to play without him here ? who knows.

At some point we're going to have to move on regardless. I much as I would like to hand the reigns over to Marty and continue on as normal in 2 yrs or so we have to be okay if that doesn't happen.

As for potential new GM's...funny I'm going to mention him because he's a former Devil but Pat Verbeek has been learning under Stevie Y in TB and I wonder if he want's a shot to be a GM.

Just one name on a shortlist and a few thoughts I've been having.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
There's no reason to be disappointed in Larsson. He's been solid since the coaching change, especially in front of our own net and that's where the problem was.

Severson has the potential to be a Drew Doughty caliber guy - you saw him moving the puck fast, with great instincts and anticipation, quarterbacking the power play, skating with the biscuit when necessary . . . Don't over do the comparison. But he has elite potential and is only, what, 19?

Defense is not our problem right now.

Also there are no more doubts about Schneider in the goal. He has proved that he's a # 1 goalie without question.

Our issue is rebuilding up front.

Thank goodness that's the easiest part of a team to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad