Devils goalie dissection thread

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The trouble is that Cory has needed off-season surgery last season and now this season. I don't see how he's 100% ever again.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
This was obvious. He was great to start the season and was never the same after the injury. Glad so many here said he’s “washed up” at 31/32 years old.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting to see how the Devils goalie situation plays out this off-season.

Schneider, Kinkaid, Johnson, and Blackwood signed through next season. They have to make a decision on signing Cormier and what they're going to do with Appleby (RFA) and Lack (UFA).

Usually teams only carry 5 goaltenders so who knows what they do. I'd imagine with Schneider's timeline and injury history, they're going to look to add goalie with some experience as the third string (could be Lack too). If they do that, they're almost definitely not signing Appleby or Cormier because they would struggle to find them playing time.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
for repeatedly ripping him a new one lol

i mean we eased off when he showed up in the playoffs, but this totally explains everything, especially with the 5 month timeline

i mean if he gets an apology for that, kinkaid deserves a meadow of flowers

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
for repeatedly ripping him a new one lol

i mean we eased off when he showed up in the playoffs, but this totally explains everything, especially with the 5 month timeline

its clear the side of the fence that some people fall on re: Schneider and that will never change

I had thought all along that he was still nursing something. Glad to see it and hopefully he returns 100% for October.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Well most, some were beating the he’s still hurt drum all along. I was skeptical they’d bring him back if he wasn’t healed and really they shouldn’t have but it does shed a new light on his awfulness coming ‘off’ IR
It was clear as day cory was playing hurt if you payed attention to his lateral movement. Maybe as a goalie those things are easier to spot, idk.

5 months would bring him to around game 1... I wouldn't expect him to start game 1 since he will prob miss or have very limited pre season playing time and will be behind in that regard.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It was clear as day cory was playing hurt if you payed attention to his lateral movement. Maybe as a goalie those things are easier to spot, idk.

5 months would bring him to around game 1... I wouldn't expect him to start game 1 since he will prob miss or have very limited pre season playing time and will be behind in that regard.

quick question- do you play goalie?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Schneids was a .920% goalie in the first 3 months of the season. And this was after he sustained his first LBI towards the end of October.

I don't believe for a second that he wasn't battling this nagging injury all along. I know @None Shall Pass has been most adamant about this since it occurred.

Hopefully he won't rush back to get into the regular season. We know Kinkaid is more than capable, so he can afford to take his time.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This was obvious. He was great to start the season and was never the same after the injury. Glad so many here said he’s “washed up” at 31/32 years old.
But as already pointed out. He may not be 100% again and the odds are that he probably won’t return to being elite again.

The trouble is that Cory has needed off-season surgery last season and now this season. I don't see how he's 100% ever again.
I thought he had surgery in the 2016 offseason and not last year? I do agree with about not being 100% ever again. Stranger things have happened though, but I don’t like the odds.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory still isn’t a top 10 goalie esp if he’s consistently injured
He has to return to close to the level he was previously at before 16-17 for more than one season for me to consider him top 10 again.

Other than that, I do remember when Kinkaid had some awful starts around December, Hynes said Cory would have played both sets of a back to back, but was dealing with something nagging or minor. Then he wound up playing both of the next back to back a week or two later. And that’s when he had his best two or three week stretch of the season before falling apart. I wonder if this was the same injury and it just got even worse?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Fully willing to chalk up Schneider's horrible year to the injury - and we'll just move on.

Don't think it would've changed his lack of rebound control that he's had since day1 - just his ability to recover and get that second-chance after the bad rebound.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I thought he really looked hurt in game 3 (late in the game) and game 5 of the playoffs. His recovery time was very slow at that point. He played a hell of a three games, but his recovery time was very slow in those games. It didn’t look quite as bad in game 4. I remember pointing that out. It didn’t lead to any goals against, but it took a while for him to get up whenever he went on his back or belly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad