Dreger: Devils close to moving out pieces

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

If it happens, I’m guessing the big piece will be Vatanen. Looks like Hall will be out for a while, so the playoffs aren’t going to happen. Vats is a free agent after next season and he’ll probably command more money than the Devils want to give him. Pretty valuable piece for a playoff team that’s thin on D, which always brings you to Toronto. Just my speculation though.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Blake Coleman to Dallas makes sense if they are willing to deal him. Better depth guy than anything we have and he'd love to play here. Good 3rd liner and can score some goals. Not that we need anymore bottom 6 players but I wouldn't complain

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The article specifically says no big pieces. So that means no Hall, Palmieri, Severson, Vatanen, etc.

We're talking upcoming UFAs like Boyle, Johansson, Lovejoy, etc. and other depth guys.

Blake Coleman to Dallas makes sense. Better depth guy than anything we have and he'd love to play here. Good 3rd liner and can score some goals.
Lol no.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Severson to the Leafs would be nice. How high do devils fans value him at this point? I know he was thought pretty highly of a few years back but don't here too much anymore

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Blake Coleman to Dallas makes sense. Better depth guy than anything we have and he'd love to play here. Good 3rd liner. Not exactly what we need but it's a start I suppose

Doesn't make much sense for the Devils. Coleman is the type of player we should be keeping a hold of and he was just given a multi-year contract this past summer.

If I had to guess it'd be smaller pieces like Boyle, maybe Lovejoy if a team is desperate. MoJo and Vatanen may be in play as well in my opinion. Vatanen is fine but we have a lot of defenseman that are similar in style, it's kind of redundant and he would probably get the best return.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The article specifically says no big pieces. So that means no Hall, Palmieri, Severson, Vatanen, etc.

We're talking upcoming UFAs like Boyle, Johansson, Lovejoy, etc. and other depth guys.

Lol no.

Why would he not be available? One of their better depth pieces that could bring a good return. Is it because of his recent extension I assume?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why would he not be available? One of their better depth pieces that could bring a good return
Why would he be available? We need more Coleman type players, not fewer. He's on pace for 25 goals and 41 points, is signed to a great deal, and is one of the best defensive players on the team. That you claimed he could be had cheap or that the Devils should be moving him is ignorant.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So is this a retool or a re-rebuild?

More than likely just shipping out the impending UFAs, nothing too major. Nichols' transcription of Dreger's interview said that guys like Hall/Palmieri weren't going to be moved.

Trade somebody like Johansson for draft picks, then maybe use those picks for a player from a club with cap space / roster size problems. Best case scenario was trading Jagr for picks and then using those to get Palmieri. But more typical situation was like trading Lee Stempniak for picks then using those picks for Mirco Mueller.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Severson to the Leafs would be nice. How high do devils fans value him at this point? I know he was thought pretty highly of a few years back but don't here too much anymore

Depends on which Devils' fans you talk to. Reality is, Severson is a 2nd pairing offensive defenseman that can skate well and is prone to defensive blunders. He gets a lot of flak for his defensive play but he's also been asked to play over his head too often because of the Devils' poor defense. If he was slotted correctly and behind a true first pairing I think he'd flourish. And I also think the Devils are better off keeping him in hopes that they can acquire one elsewhere. Severson's a good, still youngish defenseman and that's something we don't have enough of.

So is this a retool or a re-rebuild?

A retool/continuation of our existing rebuild. The defensive make-up is poor, too much of the same thing right now and that could desperately be changed. We've also gotten some of the worst goaltending, only ahead of the Flyers, this season. Does Shero believe Blackwood can take the net next season, or that he can find a competent starter for next season? That probably plays a pretty big factor in how competitive he thinks we can be next year.

Reactions: BHD

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
I know its probably unlikely Hall is moved but he's always been a favorite player of mine and would love him on the Hawks. What would it take?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Blake Coleman to Dallas makes sense if they are willing to deal him. Better depth guy than anything we have and he'd love to play here. Good 3rd liner and can score some goals. Not that we need anymore bottom 6 players but I wouldn't complain

Coleman is probably right behind Hall/Palmieri/Nico/Bratt as a forward that has no chance of being traded.

He has been arguably our most consistent player this year

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad