Confirmed with Link: Devils Change name to Angels

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I believe they changed their name to just the Rays because of that. That was many years ago though, before I lived here.

Didn't the NBA team change their name from the Bullets to Wizards because of the word bullet?

Funny enough when they dropped the Devil out of their name happened at the same time the franchise got good. Coincidence obviously (they were set to get going either way), but a funny tid bit none the less.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny enough when they dropped the Devil out of their name happened at the same time the franchise got good. Coincidence obviously (they were set to get going either way), but a funny tid bit none the less.
I don't remember what year it was, I'm gonna guess around 2002.

I was way off, it was 2007.

2008 was when they made the world series, so it was just a year before that. I thought they also made the world series in the early 00's too. Maybe getting them confused with the Marlins.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't remember what year it was, I'm gonna guess around 2002.

I was way off, it was 2007.

2008 was when they made the world series, so it was just a year before that. I thought they also made the world series in the early 00's too. Maybe getting them confused with the Marlins.

No they weren't good until the late 2000s. They were bottom of the barrel for years since they came into the league. Always one of, if not the worst team in baseball. It was a joke at the time that yes they dropped Devil, and went right to the WS. I think they made one more appearance (or came awfuly close) before backing off a bit. Remaining competitive enough, but not as good as they were.

Marlins won the WS in 2003 (over the Yankees). Then proceeded to have a firesale and trade everyone away (much like 97).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If NJ ever gets a pro Women's team, that should be the name and logo.

That is what I thought this was at first. It took me a second to realize it was an April Fool's joke. It never connected immediately for me.

I first thought we got a women's team, then I thought they moved the AHL team or an ECHL team here and named them this. THEN I realized it was a joke.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
That is what I thought this was at first. It took me a second to realize it was an April Fool's joke. It never connected immediately for me.

I first thought we got a women's team, then I thought they moved the AHL team or an ECHL team here and named them this. THEN I realized it was a joke.

hmmmmm Albany Angels

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

lol I saw it from Hugh on Twitter before I saw it here, so I figured it was a goof.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Poor RG will have to redo hundreds of avs.:sarcasm:

They certainly put a lot of effort in this joke. Well done.:laugh:

A video with David Puddy shouting 'We're the Angels, the Angels!' would have made it perfect.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It'd be hilarious if they wore those jerseys during warm-ups at our next home game just to **** with everyone :laugh:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
actual tweet I saw
@NJDevils focus more on winning instead of an April fools joke that probably took 2 weeks of design and planning

well its confirmed the PR team are responsible for on ice performance :D

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
actual tweet I saw

Could you imagine guys like Rico, Palms, and Gio just up all night working tirelessly on the re-design :P

Maybe this was another little competition between team Lars and team Palms

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
actual tweet I saw

I was gonna say I couldn't wait for the first person to crack that the Devils should spend more time figuring out how to get back in the playoffs as opposed to PR campaigns :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad