Prospect Info: Devils Centric 2019 Mock Draft 1.01g1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
First off, don't hold me to this in June. A lot of hockey to be played, a lot of film to watch. Picks will be traded, prospect stocks will rise and fall. Things will certainly change a lot. But the Devils have two picks in the top 33 as of today, so I will go that far.

1 Colorado: C Jack Hughes -- a special player, simply dazzles every time he's on the ice. A future 100+ point scorer and fixture in the NHL scoring leaderboards.

2 New Jersey: RW/LW Kappo Kakko -- the rare physical power forward that can also dominate possession and play a highly intelligent two-way game. Just a star in the making. The idea of a future Devils power play with Hall/Hischier/Kakko/Palmieri/Smith is simply tantalizing.

3 Detroit: LD Bowen Byram -- the Wings get a kid who checks off every box in the #1D tool kit; skating, vision, intelligence, shot, physicality, compete level, you name it. If the Devils pick third overall, I would also bet on Byram being the pick.

4 Los Angeles: RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin -- the Kings have struggled for years to find wingers with the skill level to match Anze Kopitar, but Podkolzin is the complete package, mixing off-the-charts skill with a whole lot of intelligence and nastiness.

5 Anaheim: C/RW Dylan Cozens -- Big, physical and extremely skilled, Cozens fits in perfectly with the Anaheim model -- he's like a future version of Getzlaf/Perry.

6 Arizona: C Alex Turcotte -- even after several seasons of high draft positions, the Coyotes are thin beyond Barrett Hayton up the middle in the prospect pipeline. Turcotte mixes electrifying skating with a heady two-way game.

7 Florida: C Kirby Dach -- I think Florida's biggest organizational need is a defenseman, but there may not be a worthy top-10 candidate beyond Byram. Dach's game is comparable in many ways to Jonathan Toews, whom GM Dale Tallon is certainly glad he had in Chicago.

8 Chicago: C Trevor Zegras -- like Turcotte, Zegras has been overshadowed by Jack Hughes on the US-NTDP. Also like Turcotte, he is a tremendous skater with off-the-charts skills and a future 1C at the NHL level.

9 Edmonton: LW Matthew Boldy -- the Oilers desperately need wingers to pair with McDavid and Draisaitl. Boldy is a big, skilled finisher with the intelligence to compliment a superstar center.

10 Colorado: LW Peyton Krebs -- Joe Sakic said this week that Colorado is not trading either of their first-round picks. Krebs is infectious to watch -- not only is he talented, but he plays every moment of every shift with the ferocity and hustle of his very life depending on it.

11 NY Rangers: LD Philip Broberg -- one thing we can count on with the latest Rangers regime is that they will reach for a Euro skater with their first pick (see: Andersson over Mittelstadt, Kravtsov over Wahlstrom). I'm guessing they do the same in 2019.

12 Vancouver: LD Matthew Robertson -- the Canucks will certainly have their eye on the blueline at the 2019 draft. In my mind, the big, physical and silky-smooth Robertson is clearly the second-best D in the 2019 class after Byram.

13 Philadelphia: RW Raphael Lavoie -- before being fired, Ron Hextall built an extraordinary prospect pool in Philly. Their recent hot streak may lead current GM Chuck Fletcher to deal this pick for help making the playoffs. Lavoie is big, fast and can shoot the lights out.

14 St. Louis: C Ryan Suzuki -- like Philly, the Blues have recently gotten hot and dropped from the seller market for the coming trade deadline. Suzuki combines lightning-speed with extraordinary vision.

15 Minnesota: RW Cole Caufield --
in my mind, now that Peter Chiarelli is out of a job it's between Pierre Dorion and Paul Fenton for worst GM in the NHL. From the head-scratching Filip Johansson 2018 first-rounder to the absolutely baffling Niederreiter for Rask trade, he's displayed pretty much the opposite of vision. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with Caufield, a lights-out shooter who will score at any level despite his modest size.

16 Buffalo: RD Victor Soderstrom -- even with the addition of the sublimely talented Rasmus Dahlin, the Sabres need help on the blueline. Soderstrom is a fast puckhandler who may have the most upside of any Swedish prospect in the class of 2019.

17 Carolina: G Spencer Knight -- goalies rarely get even a mention in the first round, but Knight is often compared to Carey Price and, over the past decade, no franchise has suffered more woes between the pipes as the Hurricanes.

18 Dallas: C Alex Newhook -- the Stars are on a seemingly neverending search for secondary scoring beyond the Seguin/Benn line. Newhook has blazing speed and, like Turcotte, mixes great tenacity with a spectacular skill set. It would not be surprising to see him go in the top 10.

19 Pittsburgh: LW Arthur Kaliyev -- speaking of never-ending searches, the Pens are always on the lookout for scorers to compliment Crosby and Malkin. Though there have been some questions about his compete level and consistency, the Staten Island native Kaliyev is quite possibly the best pure shooter in the 2019 draft class.

20 Columbus: C Brett Leason -- among his other myriad complaints, Tortorella has complained quite vocally about his need for more center on the Blue Jackets roster. The overaged Leason has shown remarkable improvements in his skating over the past two seasons and could be close to NHL-ready.

21 Vegas: LD Thomas Harley -- a fast riser up many draft boards, Harley is big and mobile and pouring in points for the OHL's Mississauga Steelheads.

22 Washington: C Ilya Nikolayev -- the Caps are never afraid to take a chance on high-upside European forwards.

23 Boston: LW Samuel Poulin -- they like to ice big teams in Boston, and Poulin has soft hands to go along with projectable size.

24 Montreal: LD Mikko Kokkonen -- there is an intriguing discrepancy with how scouts view this slick-passing puck-mover. Some have him ranked just outside the top 10, while others have him outside of the first round altogether.

25 NY Islanders: C Connor McMichael -- the latest future NHL-er out of the London Knights prospect factory is projectable as the ideal 2C behind young star Mathew Barzal.

26 Los Angeles: LD Cam York -- after taking a stud forward with their own pick, the Kings could look D with the pick acquired from Toronto in the Muzzin trade. York is the prototypical new NHL offensive defenseman -- a tape-to-tape passer with high-end skating and puck handling skills.

27 Nashville: C John Beecher -- the most David Backes-like prospect available, projects to a big, middle-six force with physicality, smarts and decent offensive acumen.

28 San Jose: RD Moritz Seider -- no one drafts from Central Europe as much as Sharks' GM Doug Wilson, who would be thrilled to find this do-it-all, two-way minute-muncher available in the late first round.

29 Winnipeg: LD Alex Vlasic -- GM Kevin Chevaldayoff loves the big defensemen, and Vlasic's 6'6 frame belies very good mobility and capable offensive instincts.

30 Calgary: C Phillip Tomasino -- a team can never be too deep up the middle, and Tomasino's emergence for Niagara this season has many believing he has top-6 NHL potential.

31 Tampa Bay: RD Anttoni Honka -- the younger brother of Dallas' Julius Honka, Anttoni also has great skates and explosive offensive upside.

32 Ottawa: LW Nolan Foote -- the most hapless organization in hockey could wind up having turned Jack Hughes, Kyle Turris and Shane Bowers into a year-and-a-half playoff-less rental of Matt Duchene. That's not just bad, it's "Mike Milbury Bad".

33 New Jersey: RD Billy Constantinou -- the Devils are certain to draft the best available player with their early first-round pick, regardless of position. With their later picks, I expect them to concentrate on fortifying the prospect pool at C and D. Constantinou has good size and blazing speed to go along with excellent offensive instincts. He needs some work in his own zone but certainly fits in with the Shero-model of very fast, puck-rushing defensemen.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Is Hughes really that good? He definitely looks talented, but something about 150lb. jitterbugs like that scare me. Don't think he was a huge difference maker in the WJC either, though injury could have played a factor for sure.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Is Hughes really that good? He definitely looks talented, but something about 150lb. jitterbugs like that scare me. Don't think he was a huge difference maker in the WJC either, though injury could have played a factor for sure.

depends on what you consider "that good". He's not mcdavid, but he's also not yakupov or RNH.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Always appreciate these, Steve.

How do you feel this draft stacks up to recent ones as a whole? I've been having trouble getting hyped for it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Hughes was, in fact, injured at the WJC and still played well, though not to the best of his ability. I would not call him a "jitterbug" unless I was also using that term to describe Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov. Hughes' skating, vision and puck skills are absolutely dynamic. He's an outstanding scorer in his own right, but he's also the kind of guy who can turn your 25-goal wing into a 40 goal scorer. He projects to be a perennial 100+ point scorer in the NHL.

Yes, Hughes is really that good.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Always appreciate these, Steve.

How do you feel this draft stacks up to recent ones as a whole? I've been having trouble getting hyped for it.

I'm psyched one three levels: as a NHL fan, as a USA hockey fan, and as a Devils fan.

As a Devils fan, we should have a top 5 pick in a draft that looks to have a spectacular top 10, especially at the center position. The Devils are very likely to come out of the 2019 draft with another franchise cornerstone. Add to that two second-rounders, including one which could be in the top 35 overall. The Devils are also likely to accrue picks for Lovejoy among others and could possibly land another late first-rounder for Johansson. It's going to be a big draft for the Devils.

As a USA hockey fan, it's also very exciting. The US-NTDP is in a position to have an unprecedented four centers taken in the first round. Hughes is an unquestioned top overall pick, but Alex Turcotte and Trevor Zegras are good bets to go in the top 10, while John Beecher should be gone somewhere in the late first round. This isn't even to mention that LW Matthew Boldy could also go in the top ten, while Spencer Knight should be the earliest goalie taken in years.

As an NHL fan, well -- it's an extremely talented draft class. I'd say it's better than 2017, though not as strong as 2016. Maybe it gets the nod over 2018 just on the basis of being so much stronger at center and goalie, though not as stocked on the blueline.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Hughes was, in fact, injured at the WJC and still played well, though not to the best of his ability. I would not call him a "jitterbug" unless I was also using that term to describe Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov. Hughes' skating, vision and puck skills are absolutely dynamic. He's an outstanding scorer in his own right, but he's also the kind of guy who can turn your 25-goal wing into a 40 goal scorer. He projects to be a perennial 100+ point scorer in the NHL.

Yes, Hughes is really that good.

Well all those guys are wingers, not center. At center, size is a bit of a concern for me. As for the 100 point thing, he would really need to improve his shot unless he becomes like a 20g 80a type player I suppose. I guess it also depends on which team he ends up on.

Reactions: devilsblood

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Without knowing how the ping-pong ball combinations drop, I dont even know how you can do a mock draft right now. :dunno:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Without knowing how the ping-pong ball combinations drop, I dont even know how you can do a mock draft right now. :dunno:

The whole idea is not to be a sage mastermind whose predictions all magically come true, but rather to give the Devils fans on this thread a head-start in having a general idea of how the draft could go, i.e. who the top players are, what types of players are available, and what certain teams drafting around them might be looking for come draft day.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you @StevenToddIves

I always enjoy reading mocks from someone who’s done their research.

Can you give nhl player comparable for maybe the top 10 or so?

It's really tough and there's a lot more film to watch, so these might change. But to give a few to the best of my abilities:

Hughes: hybrid of Patrick Kane, Clayton Keller and Denis Savard.
Kakko: tough one, but I'll go with a hybrid Sasha Barkov/Peter Forsberg, but on the wing instead of C
Byram: another tough one. Maybe PK Subban?
Podkolzin: his mix of two-way play and high-end skill and nastiness makes him a bit of a unicorn. I'm going to go with Iginla for now.
Turcotte: Dylan Larkin
Dylan Cozens: Leon Draisaitl meets Bernie Federko
Trevor Zegras: Barzal
Kirby Dach: Getzlaf
Peyton Krebs: Brayden Point comes to mind, I guess
Alex Newhook: MacKinnon-lite

That's my top 10. I tried.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's really tough and there's a lot more film to watch, so these might change. But to give a few to the best of my abilities:

Kakko: tough one, but I'll go with a hybrid Sasha Barkov/Peter Forsberg, but on the wing instead of C
Podkolzin: his mix of two-way play and high-end skill and nastiness makes him a bit of a unicorn. I'm going to go with Iginla for now.

Wow, this will be an epic top 10 of he draft then ;)

I kid I kid. I’m not holding you to any of these comparables but it’s always interesting to see these and it makes it easier for those of us who don’t get to watch anything besides highlight videos.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Nice mock draft! Like you said there's still a lot of hockey to be played but the pieces are starting to fall into place. I can't argue with any of your reasoning but I can't help but think that a team is going to reach for Connor McMichael in the top-15. It'll also be interesting to see where Soderstrom ends up getting taken because he's been on a tear for Brynas lately.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your effort, Steven.

I hope the hockey gods favor us one more time.

Also: if we're all mentioning Hughes' size, you can bet that all the scouts who have been following him for years have considered the same factor. And they still have him at the top. Mistakes are always made, but time is rarely a bad filter.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Now everyone is going to want Zegras.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Now everyone is going to want Zegras.

Thought the same thing when I saw it.

All jokes aside, I do think Zegras is one of the best one-on-one players in this draft - whether he has the puck or not. He's an incredibly intelligent and creative playmaker.

Seeing the rise of Zegras and Turcotte, and looking at their impressive #'s, I feel picks 3-10 could be super fluid.

I'm not even that concerned with winning the lottery really.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I seem to remember you comparing him to Drew Doughty. I believe Byram himself said he tries to pattern his game after him.
And if I were to compare Subban and Doughty as players? I'd say Subban is more energetic, more aggressive, more reckless perhaps. Doughty, smoother , a bit more cerebral and more sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad