Pre-Game Talk: Devils Canes Round 2

Who wins?

• Total voters

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Unfortunately the broadcast barely caught it. Go to matchreplaytv dot com and view the Canes/Devils game at 59:50 to see it in action.

I can’t make a gif but here’s a pictorial:

Pulls up in front of the net after a whistle.

IMG-2930.jpg

Devils player crosschecks him in the chest and tries to swing on him.

IMG-2932.jpg

Not today, Devil.

IMG-2933.jpg

Unfortunately the broadcast cut away at that instant, but can confirm that Slavin made no attempt at retaliation… he just held the guy’s hand above his head till he stopped trying and went away.

New avatar!!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Perhaps, but the underlying question remains: so what?

This team is good. We know they're good because we watch them. Those other folks generally don't. Why should we expect their opinions to be any different?

I mean, sure, it's frustrating to me that Jordan will never be considered for a Selke despite the fact that he is obviously one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL, and it's frustrating to me that Slavin will never be considered for a Norris despite the fact the he is obviously one of the best defenseman in the NHL. But that doesn't mean that the above statements aren't true; it means that individual accolades are mislabeled or given for the wrong reasons.

Yes, McDavid is great. He never does shit against us. Some fans will always claim that's boring. Fine. The Devils reached 5 Stanley Cup finals and won 3 of them by being boring. I'll take that kind of boring every single year, forever.
I won’t take literally ruining the game of hockey from a watchsbility standpoint like the Devils did. I just can’t. No matter how much that benefits the Canes. Luckily that’s not Rod. His system is just go go go. If you find it boring because your team can’t keep up, pound sand.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
He's young and unproven, but one of the things the Devil's lacked in the first two games is a defenseman who is quick and can move the puck via skating or passing. Luke Hughes can do that. Defensemen like that can negate a strong forecheck.

Hes 19 and green and light.... It's just as likely that we knock him off the puck with impunity.

Reactions: hockeynjune

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
I read that thread where our team is boring (and the logo sucks and the market and the fanbase isn't "real")

I can almost promise, if Svech/Aho/Slavin played in bigger markets they'd all be gushed over. It amazes me for instance that posters still don't know about Slavin.
The buy in for our system also likely dampens Svechnikov/Aho/Necas stats....

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Perhaps, but the underlying question remains: so what?

This team is good. We know they're good because we watch them. Those other folks generally don't. Why should we expect their opinions to be any different?

I mean, sure, it's frustrating to me that Jordan will never be considered for a Selke despite the fact that he is obviously one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL, and it's frustrating to me that Slavin will never be considered for a Norris despite the fact the he is obviously one of the best defenseman in the NHL. But that doesn't mean that the above statements aren't true; it means that individual accolades are mislabeled or given for the wrong reasons.

Yes, McDavid is great. He never does shit against us. Some fans will always claim that's boring. Fine. The Devils reached 5 Stanley Cup finals and won 3 of them by being boring. I'll take that kind of boring every single year, forever.
The so what was the next sentence from the original post.

It shows that people (and organizations) undervalue defense, and what the Canes have on the backend is exactly what you need to stop what the Canes do offensively.

If the Canes were dumping and chasing all game on Slavin/Burns and Pesce/Skjei, they wouldn't have nearly the success they do against the "modern" roster builds.

Reactions: Sigurd

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
I won’t take literally ruining the game of hockey from a watchsbility standpoint like the Devils did. I just can’t. No matter how much that benefits the Canes. Luckily that’s not Rod. His system is just go go go. If you find it boring because your team can’t keep up, pound sand.
It all comes down to Rod holding the team to his insane conditioning standards.

Dec 30, 2013
I'm gonna need you guys to make it to the Finals and make sure Toronto doesn't (if Florida can't pull it off).

BBQ brothers unite!

Then when the Stars and Canes face each other, we can truly find out which smoked meat will be crowned king.

Family friends were hosting a celebration on Saturday, they had a whole hog, a neighbor brought pork shoulders, another brought ribs, and one brought brisket.

Not sure if my blood pressure will ever recover hahaha

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Last edited:

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Probably just Rod being Rod, but he seemed a little perturbed about the goalie situation when asked in this pregame clip. Around the 1:58 left mark.

Its probably extremely frustrating have 2 injury prone goalies ahead of your rookie that clearly needs to be a backup for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad