Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Panthers 7-3!!!!

NJ Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I like how you are twisting all the positive I have to say about a remarkable performance from a guy I’ve been harsh about, and rightfully so btw, just so you can keep your little narrative that I like to though dirt his way every chance I get.

Keep up the great work buddy!

Edit: Dawson Mercer will and maybe already has passed Nico on our depth chart. This kid has been electric from the start and has brought more in 9 games, as a rookie, then Nico thus far.
Being harsh is not the same as saying foolish wrong things over and over and over.

Reactions: Hisch13r

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Someone probably mentioned this at some point last night, but this is really impressive.

Mikey may never get to a consistent offensive level, but he definitely fills a role that could be valuable. Even if he amounts to just a 4C, we're so deep with talent at center that I'm not too upset about it.

And no, this is not an invitation to start the 2016 draft revision again. :laugh:

Yeah, Triumph mentioned last night that Mikey played a large portion of his minutes vs Barkov.

He also took 6 defensive zone faceoffs, and zero offensive zone faceoffs.

And not only does that mean that Mikey is playing these tough minutes, but it allows guys like Mercer, Boqvist Hughes when he returns, and even Nico, to play much easier minutes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I like how you are twisting all the positive I have to say about a remarkable performance from a guy I’ve been harsh about, and rightfully so btw, just so you can keep your little narrative that I like to though dirt his way every chance I get.

Edit: Dawson Mercer will and maybe already has passed Nico on our depth chart. This kid has been electric from the start and has brought more in 9 games, as a rookie, then Nico thus far.

Here’s the problem, he and others think Nico has been playing this well all the time. They don’t see it as his play is improving because his points are up. So yeah nobody is going to believe you when you claim results didn’t matter last night since other games the argument was precisely that - he was playing well, the points just weren’t there.

I admit I also fall in the category of he’s playing better because he’s scoring more but at least I admit it. I’ve never had a complaint about anything else Nico has or hasn’t done apart from scoring, I also don’t think his scoring is improving because he’s competing more or any of that stuff, he’s just getting a little more efficient/better with his offensive zone play.

Last edited:
Reactions: billingtons ghost

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I didn't really like ZBC calling you out and I still don't, but I just can't agree with this assessment of Johnsson's game. Johnsson went to the dirty areas plenty last season, here's his shot map from last season with light blue being least intense, yellow being more intense, and red most intense:

JYAbCy9.png

The shots he took last season are clustered right in the middle there. Now one problem I think Johnsson had was heeling or otherwise whiffing on shots that should've been good chances. He had the hockey equivalent of the yips. I don't know if I've seen a guy have that sort of trouble in that way before - there've been plenty of players who've just been unable to score, shots on open nets going wide or shots on half-open nets finding the goaltender far too often, but seeing a guy who just can't seem to get a good shot off on a simple one-timer, that's rare.

Johnsson still is not getting many shots on goal. His shot rate 5v5 is virtually the same. He's playing with more confidence and getting some bounces. We saw signs of this player pre-COVID on that line with Hughes and Bratt and then it went away.

That line shouldn't have been separated last year. This year he and Bratt need to stick together as a pair. It is important to note that while his shots are generally the same that his shot assists are higher. It won't stay this high but he's basically equalled what Jack did last year

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I know, right? We all want to see signs Nico can be a 60+ point guy as opposed to a borderline 50-point player with durability concerns. Hopefully the last few games are a start of him proving he can be a 60+ point legit franchise center and not just a guy we’re making excuses for why he’s only Zajac 2.0.

Yesterdays game was a reminder of what everyone should expect and demand from our captain. Points and analytics aside, he played great and nobody is going to have anything negative to say about him if he gives us the type of performance he gave us against the Panthers.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yesterdays game was a reminder of what everyone should expect and demand from our captain. Points and analytics aside, he played great and nobody is going to have anything negative to say about him if he gives us the type of performance he gave us against the Panthers.

I don't think Nico played particularly well last night. He got a tip goal and had a primary assist on a pretty fluky goal. I think he played much better against the Kings.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

man come on lol this is nonsense.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That line shouldn't have been separated last year. This year he and Bratt need to stick together as a pair.
This is a new year, and he is producing this year, but keeping Johnsson on the top line last year would have been pretty ridiculous.

I know this won't penetrate the echo chamber, but for others that do like open debate.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Here’s the problem, he and others think Nico has been playing this well all the time. They don’t see it as his play is improving because his points are up. So yeah nobody is going to believe you when you claim results didn’t matter last night since other games the argument was that he was playing well, the points just weren’t there.

I admit I also fall in the category of he’s playing better because he’s scoring more but at least I admit it. I’ve never had a complaint about anything else Nico has or hasn’t done apart from scoring, I also don’t think his scoring is improving because he’s competing more or any of that stuff.

Nico hasn’t played well prior to yesterday, we’ll not well enough for a #1 center who’s getting paid and wears the captaincy. His effort level wasn’t there, he was falling and getting pushed out of plays way too easily and wasn’t good in all 3 zones.

If you and others that have defended him think he was playing equally as good as he did yesterday, then I have to question myself on the level of comprehension some might have when watching a hockey game.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Here’s the problem, he and others think Nico has been playing this well all the time. They don’t see it as his play is improving because his points are up. So yeah nobody is going to believe you when you claim results didn’t matter last night since other games the argument was that he was playing well, the points just weren’t there.

I admit I also fall in the category of he’s playing better because he’s scoring more but at least I admit it. I’ve never had a complaint about anything else Nico has or hasn’t done apart from scoring.

I thought Nico's overall game has been pretty "good" from start to season so far, to now. There was maybe 1-2 game where he had a less than great showing, but neither did the entire team, where he was flat. Yes, his production was down early, but its looking more like old Nico as of the last bunch of games.

In the early games, to note, he missed out on a few glorious chances (one was PP non-goal by clock) that wasnt' really his "fault", I think there was another play or two that didn't get cashed in on by his linemates in those early games. In the games before where he wasn't producing, he was still one of the heaviest workers and snuffing out some plays defensively and heavy in the corners, and getting in the way to block shots and be the guy who would take a big hit to make a play.

I'm more than a bit of a Nico fan, so I'm also looking at this with some rose-tint glasses, HOWEVER I think he will be OK if the progress still goes as it is going now. I didn't chime into the earlier debate threads just to stay out of it.....

My main concerns with him are/were potential long-term effects from prior leg/head injury, but that concern maybe mitigated soon in my mind if his play continues to pick up where it has been the last few games.

Reactions: NJDevs26

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nico hasn’t played well prior to yesterday, we’ll not well enough for a #1 center who’s getting paid and wears the captaincy. His effort level wasn’t there, he was falling and getting pushed out of plays way too easily and wasn’t good in all 3 zones.

If you and others that have defended him think he was playing equally as good as he did yesterday, then I have to question myself on the level of comprehension some might have when watching a hockey game.
Nico isn’t an amazingly talented player. He was getting ~70% of high danger chances when I checked a game or 2 ago. How much more do you really want other than wanting the puck to go in the net more than it was? And a quick look at his SH% would tell you that it was going to.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't get this notion that people have them competing against each other.

We finally have depth, we should embrace all of it!
I'm loving that we recently called up 3 guys who were tearing up the AHL. I even like that Shara is forced to the bench. I think he will find his groove, but I just like that we can bring up young guys and let him clear his brain a bit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah cmon .. Mercer has been amazing but nico brings lots of intangibles to the game that don't show up on scoreboard all the time.. he plays the hardest minutes etc etc...
Mercer is also playing rookie minutes. Looks great in those minutes. Skating and skills are obvious. Love the production, showing the ability to put pucks in the net, etc. But he is playing sheltered minutes.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
man come on lol this is nonsense.

Mercer has been what I’m expecting out of Hischier. Buzzing up and down the ice, causing turnovers, creating offensive chances for him and his linemates, etc. The kid has clicked with everyone that was paired with him and that tells a lot when a veteran coach has to rely on a rookie to jump start certain vets that aren’t meshing at all with our best player.

For a rookie to eclipse our best player in his first 10 games as a pro is a superb sign that he’s on the rise and yes, I do feel he will be a more pivotal player for the New Jersey Devils in the non too distant future then our captain… which is good news all around for our team and us fans.

Reactions: SpitfireG

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Mercer has been what I’m expecting out of Hischier. Buzzing up and down the ice, causing turnovers, creating offensive chances for him and his linemates, etc. The kid has clicked with everyone that was paired with him and that tells a lot when a veteran coach had to count on a rookie to jump start certain vets.

For a rookie to eclipse our best player in his first 10 games as a pro is a superb sign that he’s on the rise and yes, I do feel he will be a more pivotal player for the New Jersey Devils in the non too distant future then our captain… which is good news all around for our team and us fans.

Mercer isn't getting the toughest matchups though, ultimately that is true. The opposition defense match ups are probably more aligned against the Zacha/Nico line than the one Mercer is one. If Mercer keeps playing like this, opposition will change their strategy, but to the point others are making, it's true that Mercer is not necessarily facing the toughest opposition minutes. That's why a lot of times rookies come out strong first year, and by second year, the NHL coaches/players wisen up and start actually strategizing against this new threat they didn't study before. That's not to say Mercer can't handle them though, and it is good that Ruff believes in him. Nothing to take away from Mercer, but I think you're taking a lot away from Nico by this comparison.

One question for me is, can Mercer continue this pace of play through an 82 game season?

I'd also say its very fair to give Nico some benefit of doubt since he didn't play even the full "half-season" last year, and he's coming off two monster injuries not that long ago (in terms of time - less than 12 months ago! --> leg injury in Jan, and face/sinus/skull injury in March or whenever it was).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisch13r

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mercer has been what I’m expecting out of Hischier. Buzzing up and down the ice, causing turnovers, creating offensive chances for him and his linemates, etc. The kid has clicked with everyone that was paired with him and that tells a lot when a veteran coach has to rely on a rookie to jump start certain vets that aren’t meshing at all with our best player.

Easy minutes. The analytics guys for some reason overlook it, but I guess the eye test guys do as well. Mercer has been great, but he has been great in protected minutes.

If we put Mercer in the McLeod role not way he looks this good. But a coach would never put a 20 year old rookie in such a difficult role.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Not Ty Smith?

And Sev's Graves and PK certainly provide rebound ops.

I think the issue is more on the fwd's then the D.

Severson maybe. Smith doesn't do it consistently and he has been shaky recently. Graves has an ok shot but nothing special. Subban misses the net by a mile most of the time.

But certainly, having more skill forwards looking for those deflections could only be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce