HF Devils Three Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ok, didn’t get to watch the game, saw we were up comfortably most of the game till 3-1 with about 6-10 minutes left. Then got an alert that Nico scored in OT.

Don’t want to shit on the fun but what the hell happened lol?

Blackwood forgot what team he was on and gifted them the tying goal

Reactions: JK3

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So is Naz the better coach?!

Assistant Naz<<<< Man in Charge!

Possible Issue; Nico is a valuable center, but if you want to increase his production he might be perfect on Jack’s wing. At least OT or down goals late..

You can let Nico take the draws.

Absolutely no interest in that.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Ok, didn’t get to watch the game, saw we were up comfortably most of the game till 3-1 with about 6-10 minutes left. Then got an alert that Nico scored in OT.

See caps 3rd goal. Basically MBW had a mental lapse. And this place went into mental rage mode for a short while which was the fair reaction to it. Hughes and Nico saved the day for him.

Overall NJD controlled good sections of this game if they had converted more we probably could have had 2 extra goals for. If it werent for that gaffe we most probably would have cruised away with the win.

Nico had his statement game of season (thus far). He did everything well and looked like Hischier from a few seasons ago, offensively. Some fantastic board work in the game as well. Also took a huge shotblock and kept playing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So is Naz the better coach?!

Assistant Naz<<<< Man in Charge!

Possible Issue; Nico is a valuable center, but if you want to increase his production he might be perfect on Jack’s wing. At least OT or down goals late..

You can let Nico take the draws.
Not going to change the 5v5 lines, but

OT, PP, 6v5. In all of those situations absolutely.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

A pretty sweet tip by the Caps that almost looked like a baseball or maybe even a lacrosse play for the second goal, followed by Blackwood deciding to play a puck he could have covered right to the Caps player in front of the net. It was almost like he forgot we weren't the home team and saw the red jersey and thought he was giving it to a teammate.

Reactions: Devils Army and JK3

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jack has had a great start and got injured. He took some time to get acclimated once he came back, but he seems back to form now after having an extended Christmas break. Good for him, and glad he’s playing like we all thought he could/would. His injury was major, I expected a little adjustment period.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Jack has had a great start and got injured. He took some time to get acclimated once he came back, but he seems back to form now after having an extended Christmas break. Good for him, and glad he’s playing like we all thought he could/would. His injury was major, I expected a little adjustment period.
How dare you talk with logic

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Great game by Blackwood despite his blunder. Nico and Jack played at the level I want them to play 82 times a year.
Great game by Blackwood? Not even close! He made some great stops, but the 2nd goal he allowed was terrible, the 3rd was a benchable offense if we weren’t utterly devoid of a playable backup.

Reactions: Hisch13r

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Every goalie in the league has made a stupid gaffe like this at some point in their NHL career.
Late in the 3rd period giving up a game tying goal? Timing matters and that was possibly the worst timing for that kind of bone headed mistake possible. Blackwood isn’t a starting quality goalie. The stats back up the eye test. We aren’t getting to the next level with him in net.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
People need to stop acting like the 2nd goal against on Mac was awful. It was a hell of a play by Dowd, and certainly not an easy one to anticipate.

You won't find anyone giving him a pass for the game tying goal, though. And he has struggled mightily as of late, so not many people will give him much leeway on anything right now. He has to be better, there's no question. I thought this game was a step in that direction until the massive brain fart which will rightfully cloud everything else.

He has to start getting back to that mental frame of mind that had him locked in for the first month or so. You can tell he's fighting it physically and psychologically right now. We won't know the extent of the heel issue that has bothered him since the offseason but goalies are so regimented these days that if it's still ailing him, it wouldn't surprise me that it's weighing on his timing in net.

It also has not helped that we've largely had to lean on him in dire times and we haven't been able to find a reliable 1B. Bernier seemed like he would be but obviously no one could have seen that injury coming.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I watched the game from late in the first period. Weird game, but glad we came away with the win. Some thoughts:

Hughes takes away, and Hughes gives away. He had some amazing moves to pickpocket various Caps to create chances, but also had some baffling giveaways that almost resulted in goals against. He's an electric player, clearly a huge net positive, and I love seeing him create offense every time he touches the puck, but he's a Devil and needs to be more responsible with the puck and better defensively. I think that will come with more experience.

Nico was really good today. His tip in off the Severson point shot was exactly the kind of garbage goal I think we need to see a lot more of. And he doesn't have the best wrist shot but I loved seeing him rip it past Samsonov to win the game. I also noticed him several times making strong defensive plays. A complete game from the captain.

I don't know what the hell Blackwood was thinking with that giveaway. I think he expected the refs wanted him to keep the puck in play and weren't going to blow the whistle, but he still should have frozen it with Eller bearing down on him. He played really well otherwise, with a few saves he had no business making, like the shorthanded 2 on 0, or a pad save on a cross ice feed later. I don't think the second goal was stoppable. A guy throwing the puck up then batting it out of midair like that is even harder to stop than a deep slot deflection.

The other defensemen stepped up big time with Dougie going down early. It's still an adventure any time Severson or Smith touches the puck though, both had really weird giveaways. Poor PK didn't deserve the extra 2 on that roughing call. Siegenthaler and Graves were excellent eating hard minutes.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
People need to stop acting like the 2nd goal against on Mac was awful. It was a hell of a play by Dowd, and certainly not an easy one to anticipate.

You won't find anyone giving him a pass for the game tying goal, though. And he has struggled mightily as of late, so not many people will give him much leeway on anything right now. He has to be better, there's no question. I thought this game was a step in that direction until the massive brain fart which will rightfully cloud everything else.

He has to start getting back to that mental frame of mind that had him locked in for the first month or so. You can tell he's fighting it physically and psychologically right now.
He’s also still injured from what we know and has been reported lately. Unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad