Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This situation reminds me of when we brought over Marcus Johansson from Washington, a forward with some success on a loaded team then gets here and is basically lost and useless

Completely different situations. Johansson was coming off five straight seasons of 40+ points and was an effective two-way player even with the Devils.

So much so that Boston acquired him for the post-season.

Johnnson is in just his third NHL season after a surprising rookie season as a 24-year old and playing just 43 games last year.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Completely different situations. Johansson was coming off five straight seasons of 40+ points and was an effective two-way player even with the Devils.

Johnnson is in just his third NHL season after a surprising rookie season as a 24-year old and playing just 43 games last year.
ok I'm wrong he's doing well

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Johnsson will need to stay in the lineup enough to make him eligible as a veteran for the expansion draft. Hopefully he improves enough that he's at least viable on the fourth line. I cannot imagine that he is incapable of playing in the NHL even if much of his scoring success can be attributed to playing with Matthews, et al.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
ok I'm wrong he's doing well

Sorry if my post was unclear. I wasn't saying Andreas was doing well; just the opposite.

Marcus Johansson was an established player, and a key piece for the Caps, before the Devils got him.

Johnsson was a bit of a flash in the pan and is still an unknown quantity. To this point he has done little to suggest he deserves a roster spot ahead of Jesper Bratt when he returns or the guys from Binghamton, including Brett Seney.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Sorry if my post was unclear. I wasn't saying Andreas was doing well; just the opposite.

Marcus Johansson was an established player, and a key piece for the Caps, before the Devils got him.

Johnsson was a bit of a flash in the pan and is still an unknown quantity. To this point he has done little to suggest he deserves a roster spot ahead of guys like Jesper Bratt when he returns or the guys from Binghamton, including Brett Seney.
I wasn't comparing the players against one another, just the situation in my opinion, MY expectations were higher for both of them, and I know I might be jumping the gun with Johnsson, its early.
I've seen this before with Grabner, and going back to Esa Tikkanen, and Jocelyn Lemieux, forwards that come here and disappoint thats all.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Johnsson will need to stay in the lineup enough to make him eligible as a veteran for the expansion draft. Hopefully he improves enough that he's at least viable on the fourth line. I cannot imagine that he is incapable of playing in the NHL even if much of his scoring success can be attributed to playing with Matthews, et al.

dude we don't even have enough worthy forwards to protect as it is, especially if Palms is gone

Hughes is exempt as is Gusev (if he even stays)

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Sponsor
dude we don't even have enough worthy forwards to protect as it is, especially if Palms is gone

Hughes is exempt as is Gusev (if he even stays)

yes, but the team has to meet the minimum requirements of exposing two forwards that meet the requirements of games played. Right now, that's not so easy. Hopefully enough young guys qualify over the course of the season.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This situation reminds me of when we brought over Marcus Johansson from Washington, a forward with some success on a loaded team then gets here and is basically lost and useless

Johansson is far more talented than Johnsson. I think his worst game as a Devil was still better than Johnsson's 5 games in the red and black. I don't think Johnsson's had a single shift yet which wasn't cringeworthy.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I never saw him as a Leaf, my expectations were based on what I read here!

I'm not sure where the narrative came from that Andreas Johnsson was some terrific young scoring stud who was simply blocked in Toronto. He had every chance to crack the top 6 in Toronto. Last year his play was so lackluster that he was often out of place on the third line.

This is from my take the day of the trade (found on page 8 of this thread):

I've already written how much I love the trade for Murray and the signing of Crawford. I'm going to say that with Johnsson -- though I do not despise the deal, I don't particularly love it either.

Andreas Johnsson's greatest strength is probably his lack of a discernible weakness. He's a pretty good passer and shooter, a pretty good passer, he's pretty good two ways and he's not soft, so he gives you a decent net-front presence, where he has pretty good hands.

Because of this, Johnsson is the type of guy a coach can slot up and down the line-up. If your top-line winger is hurt for a week, you can slot him up to a top 6 role and he'll be fine. If you play him as a regular on your third line, he'll be decent there too.

But we're also talking about a player who is coming off a 21 point season in 43 games despite playing on a high-octane offense team alongside elite talent, and getting significant minutes on the 2PP. True, he scored 20 goals the year before, but that was with an unnaturally large shooting percentage which may not be sustainable. So, my conclusion about Johnsson is he's a solid NHL player with some maneuverability, but he's not a guy who moves the needle and he's making $3.4 million for the next three seasons.

The reason I don't love the deal is that I am convinced that, by the end of it, Joey Anderson will be a superior player. I think Anderson is just as capable as a 40+ point season playing with top scorers, and I think he's a superior two-way player with a superior compete level.

I understand Fitzgerald's thinking on this -- draft picks of RWs Holtz and Mercer made Anderson organizationally expendable, and Johnsson will make the Devils better in 2020-21. This is tough to argue with. But considering how desperate the Leafs were to get rid of Johnsson's cap hit (they were over the cap and actually will be again after re-signing their two RFAs), I don't think NJ needed to give up anything of value to get Johnsson and his contract.

Again, I don't want it to seem like I'm shredding the organization -- this trade is not terrible any way you look at it. And I do agree that Anderson was expendable. But I can't help but think that -- in the very near future -- the Devils or any NHL team would be much better off with Anderson on their third line than with Johnsson on their second line, and Anderson will be about $2 million cheaper.

In retrospect, my lukewarm optimism concerning the Johnsson acquisition was misplaced. I stand by most of what I wrote here the day of the trade, except the line "Johnsson will make the Devils better in 2020-21", which I admittedly already look moronic for writing.

It's tough to complain about much Fitzgerald has done as Devils GM -- he's been very good so far. But after five full games of not even one single good shift, I think it's time to cut the cord on Johnsson, at least for the time being. Let him sit for a few weeks and get some higher end talent in there. You watch him on a shift and then watch Jesper Boqvist, and it's just blatant that these two are not even on the same talent plane. It's really not even close. Boqvist does not look out of place in the NHL, while Johnsson is in way over his head.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I'm not sure where the narrative came from that Andreas Johnsson was some terrific young scoring stud who was simply blocked in Toronto. He had every chance to crack the top 6 in Toronto. Last year his play was so lackluster that he was often out of place on the third line.

I've already written how much I love the trade for Murray and the signing of Crawford. I'm going to say that with Johnsson -- though I do not despise the deal, I don't particularly love it either.

Andreas Johnsson's greatest strength is probably his lack of a discernible weakness. He's a pretty good passer and shooter, a pretty good passer, he's pretty good two ways and he's not soft, so he gives you a decent net-front presence, where he has pretty good hands.

Because of this, Johnsson is the type of guy a coach can slot up and down the line-up. If your top-line winger is hurt for a week, you can slot him up to a top 6 role and he'll be fine. If you play him as a regular on your third line, he'll be decent there too.

But we're also talking about a player who is coming off a 21 point season in 43 games despite playing on a high-octane offense team alongside elite talent, and getting significant minutes on the 2PP. True, he scored 20 goals the year before, but that was with an unnaturally large shooting percentage which may not be sustainable. So, my conclusion about Johnsson is he's a solid NHL player with some maneuverability, but he's not a guy who moves the needle and he's making $3.4 million for the next three seasons.

The reason I don't love the deal is that I am convinced that, by the end of it, Joey Anderson will be a superior player. I think Anderson is just as capable as a 40+ point season playing with top scorers, and I think he's a superior two-way player with a superior compete level.

I understand Fitzgerald's thinking on this -- draft picks of RWs Holtz and Mercer made Anderson organizationally expendable, and Johnsson will make the Devils better in 2020-21. This is tough to argue with. But considering how desperate the Leafs were to get rid of Johnsson's cap hit (they were over the cap and actually will be again after re-signing their two RFAs), I don't think NJ needed to give up anything of value to get Johnsson and his contract.

Again, I don't want it to seem like I'm shredding the organization -- this trade is not terrible any way you look at it. And I do agree that Anderson was expendable. But I can't help but think that -- in the very near future -- the Devils or any NHL team would be much better off with Anderson on their third line than with Johnsson on their second line, and Anderson will be about $2 million cheaper.

In retrospect, my lukewarm optimism concerning the Johnsson acquisition was misplaced. I stand by most of what I wrote here the day of the trade, except the line "Johnsson will make the Devils better in 2020-21", which I admittedly already look moronic for writing.

It's tough to complain about much Fitzgerald has done as Devils GM -- he's been very good so far. But after five full games of not even one single good shift, I think it's time to cut the cord on Johnsson, at least for the time being. Let him sit for a few weeks and get some higher end talent in there. You watch him on a shift and then watch Jesper Boqvist, and it's just blatant that these two are not even on the same talent plane. It's really not even close. Boqvist does not look out of place in the NHL, while Johnsson is in way over his head.
Well I wasn't directing my optimism based on what you wrote, just the general "vibe" of the board, again it's early in the season, maybe he'll start producing soon, lets hope, I'm just naturally pessimistic based on what I've seen so far from the kid.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Johnsson’s “terrible” 8 goals and 13 assists in 43 games last year is still better than what I think Zacha, Kuokkanen, Boqvist, McLeod, Bastian, Merkley, etc. will provide. You’d think we have some surefire stars that Johnsson is blocking with the rush to bench this guy. 5 games. He has a decent track record. Boqvist has 4 points in 39 games, he hasn’t earned a thing either.

My3Sons

Sponsor

I think the team should let Johnsson play - on a fourth line if need be - for enough games to get him to the vet exposure minimum for the SEA expansion draft. After that, sit him as necessary. Something tells me there is more to the story. It's not likely he goes from an ok if unspectacular NHL player to a guy who can't even play competently on a fourth line at his age. He should be a bit better than last year, not so terribly worse.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Johnsson’s “terrible” 8 goals and 13 assists in 43 games last year is still better than what I think Zacha, Kuokkanen, Boqvist, McLeod, Bastian, Merkley, etc. will provide. You’d think we have some surefire stars that Johnsson is blocking with the rush to bench this guy. 5 games. He has a decent track record. Boqvist has 4 points in 39 games, he hasn’t earned a thing either.

My argument is simple. I've watched 5 Devils games in 2020-21. Jesper Boqvist is playing like an NHLer. Andreas Johnsson is not.

Jesper Boqvist is 3 years younger. He is faster, smarter, a better puck handler, better defensively, has better passing vision and plays at a higher compete level.

I can talk about the rest of those young Devils, but the fact is that there needs to be accountability for an NHL team. Five games in, Johnsson has been the least effective player on the team. It's one thing if we were saying "oh well, he had three bad games but two pretty good ones". He has yet to have a single good shift. He's been a virtual black hole for whatever line he plays on. If we were talking about some young kid with standout talent and huge upside, it would be one thing. The kid's a bottom 6 talent who hasn't played like a NHLer in any shift all year. Let's put someone in who can keep up with the NHL game, that's all I'm saying.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
My argument is simple. I've watched 5 Devils games in 2020-21. Jesper Boqvist is playing like an NHLer. Andreas Johnsson is not.

Jesper Boqvist is 3 years younger. He is faster, smarter, a better puck handler, better defensively, has better passing vision and plays at a higher compete level.

I can talk about the rest of those young Devils, but the fact is that there needs to be accountability for an NHL team. Five games in, Johnsson has been the least effective player on the team. It's one thing if we were saying "oh well, he had three bad games but two pretty good ones". He has yet to have a single good shift. He's been a virtual black hole for whatever line he plays on. If we were talking about some young kid with standout talent and huge upside, it would be one thing. The kid's a bottom 6 talent who hasn't played like a NHLer in any shift all year. Let's put someone in who can keep up with the NHL game, that's all I'm saying.
It’s strange that despite Jesper’s terrific passing vision, puck handling, and smarts, he has yet to record a single assist.

5 games. Elias Pettersson has been horrific for 8 games. It happens. I’m willing to be reasonable and at least give him double digit games before I draw any type of conclusion.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It’s strange that despite Jesper’s terrific passing vision, puck handling, and smarts, he has yet to record a single assist.

5 games. Elias Pettersson has been horrific for 8 games. It happens. I’m willing to be reasonable and at least give him double digit games before I draw any type of conclusion.

Pettersson has struggled, but has had several good shifts. Johnsson has yet to step out on the ice and not be a detriment to the team. There's a huge difference there.

Again -- I can see sending a guy out there again and again despite struggles because he's an impact talent -- like Elias Pettersson. But what are we hoping from Johnsson? That he can score double-digit goals in a 56 game schedule? What's the point, really?

As for Jesper Boqvist, no one is calling him an elite passer, my point was he is better than Johnsson, though admittedly that's not high praise. With Johnsson -- well, though throughout his short NHL career, he has not been particularly bad at anything. I'll give him that. He's not a bad shooter or a poor defensive player. But the problem is he's not particularly good at anything either. What does he give you that Nathan Bastian or Ryan Merkley or Yegor Sharangovich does not? He doesn't give you Bastian's physicality or net-front presence. He doesn't give you Merkley's passing vision or compete level. He doesn't give you Sharangovich's speed or size. And, unlike those three players (and Boqvist too), Johnsson is going on 27 years old and has over 100 games under his belt. He's not getting any better. He is what he is, a bottom six winger who has struggled mightily in his last season-plus of NHL play.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Pettersson has struggled, but has had several good shifts. Johnsson has yet to step out on the ice and not be a detriment to the team. There's a huge difference there.

Again -- I can see sending a guy out there again and again despite struggles because he's an impact talent -- like Elias Pettersson. But what are we hoping from Johnsson? That he can score double-digit goals in a 56 game schedule? What's the point, really?

As for Jesper Boqvist, no one is calling him an elite passer, my point was he is better than Johnsson, though admittedly that's not high praise. With Johnsson -- well, though throughout his short NHL career, he has not been particularly bad at anything. I'll give him that. He's not a bad shooter or a poor defensive player. But the problem is he's not particularly good at anything either. What does he give you that Nathan Bastian or Ryan Merkley or Yegor Sharangovich does not? He doesn't give you Bastian's physicality or net-front presence. He doesn't give you Merkley's passing vision or compete level. He doesn't give you Sharangovich's speed or size. And, unlike those three players (and Boqvist too), Johnsson is going on 27 years old and has over 100 games under his belt. He's not getting any better. He is what he is, a bottom six winger who has struggled mightily in his last season-plus of NHL play.
We’re hoping for an average NHL player because he’s been that in the past. And we traded for him and are paying him to be just that. He will be getting more than a handful of games to show his worth.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We’re hoping for an average NHL player because he’s been that in the past. And we traded for him and are paying him to be just that. He will be getting more than a handful of games to show his worth.

I sure hope you're right my friend, but it's been over a year since he has been an average. And so far this year, average is about a dozen levels of quality over what Andreas Johnsson has given on the ice -- he has a loooong way to go to hit average. But again, I hope you're right and Johnsson somehow returns to the average player which he seemed to be becoming two seasons ago.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Joey Anderson just isn't that great so I am totally fine with them taking the shot on Johnsson like they did. Like I said, lets give it more than a week's worth of games before declaring the dude dead here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Joey Anderson just isn't that great so I am totally fine with them taking the shot on Johnsson like they did. Like I said, lets give it more than a week's worth of games before declaring the dude dead here.

It's not about Joey Anderson as much as it's about the $10 million in cap space over three seasons Jonsson is taking up. If he really stinks the joint out this season that contract is gonna be a net negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad