Prospect Info: Devils 2022 Post-Draft Prospect Rankings, By Position & Consolidated

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think you're underrating european junior leagues a bit. How would you even compare them other than guys who have played both, like Zacha. He had 6g in 10games Czech U20 and then 16g in 37 OHL games. Really doesn't seem like huge difference. OHL just gets scouted way way way more and their player end up in NA leagues, where as Czech players ends up in european leagues. That doesn't mean the leagues are so much worse.

Also since you are so critical of Salminen's production and finnish U20 league, are you also implying Slakovsky's LiigaU20 production 34pts in 31gp compares to something like 15pts in 30 OHL games?
Slafkovsky had 18 points in 11 Finnish U20 games. He dominated there. His Liiga production was limited int he context of his usage. He's 20 tiers ahead of the players in this discussion.

Judging any player by a Zacha-barometer seems absurd, because all he's done is underperform at literally every level of hockey.

And my point is that Salminen gets top 6 minutes in an inferior Finland U20 as one of the oldest players in the league. It's tough to envision him getting those minutes in the CHL, because it's just a much faster league than Finnish juniors. Can you imagine Salminen trying to defend Kevin Korchinski or Pavel Mintyukov or Denton Mateychuk on the point? They'd be past him before he even started moving. There is no defenseman in Finland U20 with even close to the skating ability of these players. It's just a different level of play.

As for the Czech Junior Circuit, there is not a single NHL-drafted defenseman in the entire league. All the top teenaged Czech defensemen play in a pro league, like Jiricek has since he was 16 and Tomas Hamara did in Liiga last year. I'm not writing off Hauser yet, because quite honestly I haven't seen enough of him yet. We'll see how he does in the Czech men's league next year. As for Salminen, I haven't watched a ton of him either, but I've seen him a lot more than Hauser and his skating just really holds him back.

I'm not trying to write off my own team's prospects so much as I'm trying to inject reality into the discussion. Salminen and Hauser are my #29 and #30 prospects for the Devils because skating is huge and neither skate close to an NHL level. Stillman is in my top 15 because he can skate an NHL level. If either skated as well as Stillman, it would be a different conversation but, quite frankly, they cannot.

Reactions: My3Sons

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Slafkovsky had 18 points in 11 Finnish U20 games. He dominated there. His Liiga production was limited int he context of his usage. He's 20 tiers ahead of the players in this discussion.

I counted all his U20 production (previous years) in my example since 11 games is such a small sample size. But the point still stands, by your standards Slaf's 1.6ppg in liiga u20 would translate to ppg or less in OHL, when I'm fairly sure he'd be a 1.5ppg player in OHL with his skillset and size.

Judging any player by a Zacha-barometer seems absurd, because all he's done is underperform at literally every level of hockey.

And my point is that Salminen gets top 6 minutes in an inferior Finland U20 as one of the oldest players in the league. It's tough to envision him getting those minutes in the CHL, because it's just a much faster league than Finnish juniors. Can you imagine Salminen trying to defend Kevin Korchinski or Pavel Mintyukov or Denton Mateychuk on the point? They'd be past him before he even started moving. There is no defenseman in Finland U20 with even close to the skating ability of these players. It's just a different level of play.

I'm not trying to write off my own team's prospects so much as I'm trying to inject reality into the discussion. Salminen and Hauser are my #29 and #30 prospects for the Devils because skating is huge and neither skate close to an NHL level. Stillman is in my top 15 because he can skate an NHL level. If either skated as well as Stillman, it would be a different conversation but, quite frankly, they cannot.

I don't care about Salminen. My whole point was how do you compare different leagues, if not for players like Zacha who have played in both. Oh and I didn't know Czech U20 league was broadcasted in Brooklyn :sarcasm: How much have you really seen Hauser to have such a negative opinion about him?

I really don't see Stillman being an NHL regular anymore than I think Salminen Hauser or any of the other recent late round picks, unless he shows significant improvement next season.

As for the Czech Junior Circuit, there is not a single NHL-drafted defenseman in the entire league. All the top teenaged Czech defensemen play in a pro league, like Jiricek has since he was 16 and Tomas Hamara did in Liiga last year.

There are more options in Europe. Both junior and men's leagues in different countries and many european prospects make the jump to CHL to get better adjusted to NA hockey. For canadians there's not many other options than CHL, certainly not men's leagues. But that doesn't mean european junior leagues are that much worse.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’m asking this cause I’ve been wondering this a lot, and you two know way more in regards to Russian prospects than me. What are the realistic chances we see Gritsyuk in a Devils’ uniform some day, @Guadana @StevenToddIves? 70%? 80%?

I find it unfortunate to hear about how great he is as a prospect, but not being sure if he’ll ever come here. It’s a tease lol. I’m optimistic however. Just looking for a little more clarity on the situation.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’m asking this cause I’ve been wondering this a lot, and you two know way more in regards to Russian prospects than me. What are the realistic chances we see Gritsyuk in a Devils’ uniform some day, @Guadana @StevenToddIves? 70%? 80%?

I find it unfortunate to hear about how great he is as a prospect, but not being sure if he’ll ever come here. It’s a tease lol. I’m optimistic however. Just looking for a little more clarity on the situation.
He was quoted recently as still being in touch with the Devils and it read as looking to come over.

He still has his final year in the KHL to fulfill but I think it’s very likely he signs a deal with the Devils after that.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
He was quoted recently as still being in touch with the Devils and it read as looking to come over.

He still has his final year in the KHL to fulfill but I think it’s very likely he signs a deal with the Devils after that.
Yeah, I remember briefly reading that in the thread. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

50%
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

if he will not be traded, if USA and Russia will not go deeper where they are trying to go in relationship, if some KHL team will not give him 100 tonns of money after 30 goals(imagine he will score it), if he will be healthy etc he will be devils player. He wants to be better and play in NHL.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
50%
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

if he will not be traded, if USA and Russia will not go deeper where they are trying to go in relationship, if some KHL team will not give him 100 tonns of money after 30 goals(imagine he will score it), if he will be healthy etc he will be devils player. He wants to be better and play in NHL.
Thanks! At least we know he’s definitey interested and that we’re keeping in touch. That’s good.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I do have a small fear with the Russian prospects that given the unpredictability of diplomatic relations between Russian and North America. It may be for the next few years that it's just easier for them personally to just stay there rather than make the jump over, even if it is still possible. If they get to age 23-24 without committing to the NHL, they're probably lost forever.

I remember the Thrashers drafted a player way back named Ilya Nikilun who we kept seeing was a top d-man in the KHL, best d-man outside of the NHL, sure thing who just never came to play in the NHL. Every other year we would get teased as he used us for contract leverage but nothing ever came of it and then you wake up one day and the dude is 30 years old.

All of that is to say that I love Shakir, loved the methodology behind that pick, love how it's working out, have no issue with him going back to the KHL this year over logging AHL minutes. But I also wouldn't hate using him in a trade if it comes to that, given the depth we have at LD

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah I think that's spot on. I guess I'm more optimistic about Hauser since I haven't seen more than view clips but have seen a ton of Stillman. If Stillman was also a 5th round pick I'd be much less critical of the pick.
Stillman would be a very very good 5th round pick and he’s a much better prospect than Hauser.
He has a half decent chance at becoming an NHL player but unlikely it’s anything more than a 4th liner or maybe 3rd at best.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I do have a small fear with the Russian prospects that given the unpredictability of diplomatic relations between Russian and North America. It may be for the next few years that it's just easier for them personally to just stay there rather than make the jump over, even if it is still possible. If they get to age 23-24 without committing to the NHL, they're probably lost forever.

I remember the Thrashers drafted a player way back named Ilya Nikilun who we kept seeing was a top d-man in the KHL, best d-man outside of the NHL, sure thing who just never came to play in the NHL. Every other year we would get teased as he used us for contract leverage but nothing ever came of it and then you wake up one day and the dude is 30 years old.

All of that is to say that I love Shakir, loved the methodology behind that pick, love how it's working out, have no issue with him going back to the KHL this year over logging AHL minutes. But I also wouldn't hate using him in a trade if it comes to that, given the depth we have at LD
That is always a possibility, but in Mukhamadullin's case he has an actual ELC in place with NJ. He's technically in the KHL on a loan. For a guy like Gritsyuk I can see it being an issue. At some point his KHL salary will be more than an ELC and at that point you'd expect the player to want to play at home and make more than he would here. It's definitely a case by case basis, but I think a lot of KHL players would much prefer the KHL to the AHL and don't see the upside in rolling the dice on an AHL stint. I'm not sure if there is some potential for a contract where a player is guaranteed to either be assigned to the NHL or go back to the KHL after say 60 days of an AHL acclimation period once the season starts, but with the KHL season in full swing at that point I'm not sure how realistic that would be.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
Hello everyone, just a small correction - Málek did not have a stellar campaign in Czech juniors, having actually played only two games there. He played in the Czech second highest division.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I counted all his U20 production (previous years) in my example since 11 games is such a small sample size. But the point still stands, by your standards Slaf's 1.6ppg in liiga u20 would translate to ppg or less in OHL, when I'm fairly sure he'd be a 1.5ppg player in OHL with his skillset and size.

I don't care about Salminen. My whole point was how do you compare different leagues, if not for players like Zacha who have played in both. Oh and I didn't know Czech U20 league was broadcasted in Brooklyn :sarcasm: How much have you really seen Hauser to have such a negative opinion about him?

I really don't see Stillman being an NHL regular anymore than I think Salminen Hauser or any of the other recent late round picks, unless he shows significant improvement next season.

There are more options in Europe. Both junior and men's leagues in different countries and many european prospects make the jump to CHL to get better adjusted to NA hockey. For canadians there's not many other options than CHL, certainly not men's leagues. But that doesn't mean european junior leagues are that much worse.
I don't watch games on public access TV, you know this, right? I mean, I may be too hold to have any idea what TikTok is, but I'm pretty good at finding hockey feeds on the internet.

I don't have a *negative* opinion on Hauser. I'm just skeptical of his clearly below-average skating and need to see more in order to generate any positivity.

Not seeing Stillman as an NHLer is kind of herd-mentality stuff. No, he was not a shrewd pick in the 1st round of the draft. But he was nearly PPG in the OHL despite an injury plagued draft+1 season on two poor teams, he has an extremely translatable bottom-6 NHL skill set and a pretty high floor. I'd give him overwhelming odds of making the NHL, and I've been doing this a long time. I'd be shocked if he didn't make it.

Similarly, I need to see more of Hauser, but I don't think it's an unfair statement to say he needs to improve his skating to make the NHL, because the NHL is the fastest league in the world. And whether or not we care about Salminen, he has the same concern with the skating. As good as his shot and IQ are, his skating will need to improve dramatically for him to have any chance of even making the NHL. As such, Stillman is just light years ahead of these guys as an NHL prospect.

Hello everyone, just a small correction - Málek did not have a stellar campaign in Czech juniors, having actually played only two games there. He played in the Czech second highest division.
Thanks for this.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We can't rank Hauser high because we don't see him at all. Skating is a big factor now.
I would say if he will play some games in ahl or even in nhl, it would be success for late round pick.
Stillman has motor and it could be translatable on nhl level. He wasn't look bad in camp and his game as concept is understandable how we can use him after 3-4 years.
Hauser has a motor too and size, making him an actual power forward.

Stillman is more of energy forward, I don’t see him as having the size, strength or speed to power over much of anything,

624DA3B8-3F89-4EA5-A72A-CD789F4B9027.jpeg

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don't watch games on public access TV, you know this, right? I mean, I may be too hold to have any idea what TikTok is, but I'm pretty good at finding hockey feeds on the internet.

Maybe there's good hockey footage in TikTok.. But yeah it was obviously a joke :laugh:
Not seeing Stillman as an NHLer is kind of herd-mentality stuff. No, he was not a shrewd pick in the 1st round of the draft. But he was nearly PPG in the OHL despite an injury plagued draft+1 season on two poor teams, he has an extremely translatable bottom-6 NHL skill set and a pretty high floor. I'd give him overwhelming odds of making the NHL, and I've been doing this a long time. I'd be shocked if he didn't make it.

Herd-mentality? Wait, are you saying that for once I'm in the majority with my opinion? :naughty:

Stillman wasn't my pick, but I didn't hate it at first, I even liked how he looked in the prospect scrimmage that year. It's last season that has been disappointing as he doesn't seem to have progressed enough.

Similarly, I need to see more of Hauser, but I don't think it's an unfair statement to say he needs to improve his skating to make the NHL, because the NHL is the fastest league in the world. And whether or not we care about Salminen, he has the same concern with the skating. As good as his shot and IQ are, his skating will need to improve dramatically for him to have any chance of even making the NHL. As such, Stillman is just light years ahead of these guys as an NHL prospect.

Just to be clear I'm not expecting Hauser to become NHLer either. But he has lots of good qualities and could be Bastian type of net presence guy at least at AHL level. I'm sure everyone needs to improve their skating, especially big guys like Hauser, but condemning him as our worse prospect seems inaccurate and unfair considering how little anyone has seem him. Thanks for continuing this fun debate ;)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That is always a possibility, but in Mukhamadullin's case he has an actual ELC in place with NJ. He's technically in the KHL on a loan. For a guy like Gritsyuk I can see it being an issue. At some point his KHL salary will be more than an ELC and at that point you'd expect the player to want to play at home and make more than he would here. It's definitely a case by case basis, but I think a lot of KHL players would much prefer the KHL to the AHL and don't see the upside in rolling the dice on an AHL stint. I'm not sure if there is some potential for a contract where a player is guaranteed to either be assigned to the NHL or go back to the KHL after say 60 days of an AHL acclimation period once the season starts, but with the KHL season in full swing at that point I'm not sure how realistic that would be.

You’re forgetting that older players have shorter ELCs, that teams can burn a year off of an ELC and that bonuses can add quite a bit a money to ELCs if you’re a top prospect. Shesterkin got the same max performance bonuses that his 1OA & 2OA teammates did (2.85m, Fox didn’t even get that (he got 850k).

A quote from a Russian source in recent article about Kaprizov said he stayed in Russia as long as he did because because he was ask to (which can be read as pressured to). They KHL is not just some independent business entity, government owned companies own some teams and they’re known to be pretty pissy about having their star prospects/players poached by the NHL.

It’s a complicated dance for Russian stars/high end prospects to come over, I’m not pretending to understand all of it, but in life you don’t want to burn any bridges you’ll need to cross over in the future. So unless they’ll planning to really blow up their life they have to negotiate with their home club, National team, government, etc.

The guys who come over early are often fringier players who are just taking a swing at making here because they’re buried in their crowded MHL/VHL team. Maltsev is a solid player but he just wasn’t getting an opportunity at the time in his club, so he came over to the AHL.

There’s also always a danger in bringing a European player (from any country) over too soon, if their ELC runs out before they make the NHL then they head home. You want them to develop enough that if they do spend time the AHL it’s not too long.

Hell, Shesterkin did actually play half a season in the AHL (I think the huge bonuses were great idea too lol, whatever makes them happy).

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hauser has a motor too and size, making him an actual power forward.

Stillman is more of energy forward, I don’t see him as having the size, strength or speed to power over much of anything,

View attachment 567323
More than everything I had before.
if he has some speed, scouts sre good. Power forward with his size, motor and good hands is a gift in fifth round.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
If I may @StevenToddIves and @Guadana, I decided to give it a try and do my own evaluation of the Devil’s 2022 draft picks. So please don’t laugh and be gentle.

After watching countless minutes of video and reading one or two sentences on each player, here are my evaluations:

IAS Devils ‘22 Picks Eval -

1st - Simon Nemec: here’s a kid who’s last name ends with a “c” but sound more like a “ch” or possibly “itz”. If NJD can figire this out, they’ll have a top two D for years to come.

2nd - Seamus Casey: this is a player who’s first name isn’t pronounced the way it’s spelled but NJD stuck to their board and took him anyway. That’s good value right there.

3rd - traded for Vitek Vanacek: NJD went back to the well and took a player who’s last name has a “c” in it but it’s pronounced like a “ch”. Good on Fitz for sticking with his strategy.

4th - Tyler Brennan: with their first pick of the fourth round selected a player who’s been known to stand in front of pucks when they are shot. The thing about Brennan is as almost as he doesn’t want the opposing team to score. This might be the most underrated part of his game.

4th - Daniil Orlov: Scouts informed Fitz that if Orlov was a female, his last name would be Orlova. But when it was confirmed he was indeed a male, Fitz pulled the trigger. That’s good scouting.

4th - Charlie Leddy: one of the things that really stood out about Leddy was that when he skates, it’s usually in an ice rink. Something keep an eye on as he develops.

5th - Petr Hauser: this a brilliant pick by NJD. Recognizing they need to think about the cap and how they spend their money in the future, taking a guy who’s first name is spelled with one less “e” shows good economic sense. If he grows into it and becomes a player, he may earn that extra “e”.

6th - Josh Filmon: what can I say about Josh Filmon? He ties his skates before he plays. If NJD can keep developing that trait, they might have a late round gem.

7th - Artyom Barabosha: 6’3”, 190lbs, hits everything that moves. Plays a strong physical game as more of a stay at home D. Hasn’t put up big O numbers, but can shoot the puck from the point well and with power and might have some untapped offensive potential. Good pick in the 7th.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If I may @StevenToddIves and @Guadana, I decided to give it a try and do my own evaluation of the Devil’s 2022 draft picks. So please don’t laugh and be gentle.

After watching countless minutes of video and reading one or two sentences on each player, here are my evaluations:

IAS Devils ‘22 Picks Eval -

1st - Simon Nemec: here’s a kid who’s last name ends with a “c” but sound more like a “ch” or possibly “itz”. If NJD can figire this out, they’ll have a top two D for years to come.

2nd - Seamus Casey: this is a player who’s first name isn’t pronounced the way it’s spelled but NJD stuck to their board and took him anyway. That’s good value right there.

3rd - traded for Vitek Vanacek: NJD went back to the well and took a player who’s last name has a “c” in it but it’s pronounced like a “ch”. Good on Fitz for sticking with his strategy.

4th - Tyler Brennan: with their first pick of the fourth round selected a player who’s been known to stand in front of pucks when they are shot. The thing about Brennan is as almost as he doesn’t want the opposing team to score. This might be the most underrated part of his game.

4th - Daniil Orlov: Scouts informed Fitz that if Orlov was a female, his last name would be Orlova. But when it was confirmed he was indeed a male, Fitz pulled the trigger. That’s good scouting.

4th - Charlie Leddy: one of the things that really stood out about Leddy was that when he skates, it’s usually in an ice rink. Something keep an eye on as he develops.

5th - Petr Hauser: this a brilliant pick by NJD. Recognizing they need to think about the cap and how they spend their money in the future, taking a guy who’s first name is spelled with one less “e” shows good economic sense. If he grows into it and becomes a player, he may earn that extra “e”.

6th - Josh Filmon: what can I say about Josh Filmon? He ties his skates before he plays. If NJD can keep developing that trait, they might have a late round gem.

7th - Artyom Barabosha: 6’3”, 190lbs, hits everything that moves. Plays a strong physical game as more of a stay at home D. Hasn’t put up big O numbers, but can shoot the puck from the point well and with power and might have some untapped offensive potential. Good pick in the 7th.
You would have gotten a like, if you managed to post in the correct topic or went on for the other 30+ prospects.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I can't believe how bad our center depth is organizationally lol. It's horrific when you see it in writing.
I'd be happy with giving Sharanagovich some time at C next year, I think he's played their sporadically the last two years, but if he's gonna end up a jack of all trades middle 6er give him some run there. I think Hughes/Hischier/Mercer/Sharangovich/Boqvist/McLeod should be enough depth hopefully.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I can't believe how bad our center depth is organizationally lol. It's horrific when you see it in writing.
Makes it tough to fathom how we didn't contact Logan Morrison the moment the draft was over. Fortunately, the team is as set at top-6 center for the foreseeable future with Hughes/Hischier and have two passable bottom 6 centers in Boqvist and McLeod. But this will absolutely have to be addressed in the 2023 draft.

I would also be targeting some other teams' depth center prospects when trading players like Zacha, Smith, Johnsson etc.

[UPDATE: Fitzgerald adds to the center depth at the pro level by trading Zacha for Haula. Nice job.]

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad