Prospect Info: Devils 2022 Draft Day Two Primer

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The surprising selection of RD Simon Nemec at #2 overall changes the Devils priorities for Day Two.

[NOTE: I've edited this post, because I made a couple of statements which @Captain3rdLine thought were too speculative, and after careful consideration, I agreed he was right.]

I'm guessing the likelihood of NJ taking a RD in Round 2 has shrunk dramatically. This is actually unfortunate, as three of the best remaining prospects are RD -- Ryan Chesley, Tristan Luneau and Noah Warren. All would be great picks at #37, especially Chesley, who would represent the perfect pairing with Luke Hughes.

The Devils also need depth centers. Owen Beck is easily the top center available, and the only players close behind are The Other Jack Hughes and Logan Morrison. Morrison can likely be had in the 3rd round, but either Beck or Hughes can be a possible steal pick at #37.

Ultimately, the Devils missed out on a top-line caliber F in Juraj Slafkovsky. There are some players left befitting this description, and I'd say the top high-scoring options to be Alexander Perevalov, Gleb Trikozov and Jagger Firkus.

Fitzgerald has declared a desire to get tougher to play against, and as such I feel a power F might be high on his list. Possible picks here would include Julian Lutz, Jani Nyman, Kirill Dolzhenkov and NJ-native Devin Kaplan.

Here's a list of top players remaining by position:

CENTER:
1 Owen Beck
2 Logan Morrison
3 Jack Hughes
4 Aleksanteri Kaskimaki
5 Luca Del Bel Belluz
6 Matyas Sapovaliv
7 Sandis Vilmanis
8 Bryce McConnell-Barker
9 Servac Petrovsky
10 Brennan Ali

LEFT WING:
1 Adam Sykora
2 Viktor Neuchev
3 Julian Lutz
4 Rieger Lorenz
5 Jani Nyman
6 Dylan James
7 Joel Jonsson
8 Mikey Milne
9 Kirill Dolzhenkov
10 Beau Jelsma

RIGHT WING:
1 Alexander Perevalov
2 Gleb Trikozov
3 Jagger Firkus
4 Matthew Seminoff
5 Devin Kaplan
6 Vinzenz Rohrer
7 Marcus Nguyen
8 Jack Devine
9 Gavin Hayes
10 Maddox Flemming

LEFT DEFENSE:
1 Arseni Koromyslov
2 Calle Odelius
3 Vladimir Grudinin
4 Isaiah George
5 Tomas Hamara
6 Simon Forsmark
7 Alexander Pelevin
8 Lane Hutson
9 Artyom Duda
10 Tnias Mathurin

RIGHT DEFENSE:
1 Ryan Chesley
2 Tristan Luneau
3 Noah Warren
4 Artyom Barabosha
5 Michael Mastrodomenico
6 Seamus Casey
7 Michael Fisher
8 Ryan Healey
9 Ty Nelson
10 Kasper Kulonummi

POWER FORWARD:
1 Julian Lutz
2 Jani Nyman
3 Devin Kaplan
4 Kirill Dolzhenkov
5 Matyas Sapovaliv
6 Bryce McConnell-Barker
7 Danny Zhilkin
8 Daniil Bourosh
9 Liam Arnsby
10 Parker Bell

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The surprising selection of RD Simon Nemec at #2 overall changes the Devils priorities for Day Two, plain and simple, especially considering GM Tom Fitzgerald's now-clear MO of drafting for perceived team need over "best available player".

This might sound harsh, but I make it my business to study every NHL franchise for tendency and propensity, and the Devils are my favorite team, but ultimately fall into their own habits. In 2020, Mukhamadullin was the best big defenseman (which the Devils coveted), in 2021 Chase Stillman was the best power forward (which the Devils coveted) and in 2022 Simon Nemec was the best RD (which the Devils coveted) -- none were the best available player.

I'm guessing the likelihood of NJ taking a RD in Round 2 has shrunk dramatically. This is actually unfortunate, as three of the best remaining prospects are RD -- Ryan Chesley, Tristan Luneau and Noah Warren. All would be great picks at #37, especially Chesley, who would represent the perfect pairing with Luke Hughes.

The Devils also need depth centers. Owen Beck is easily the top center available, and the only players close behind are The Other Jack Hughes and Logan Morrison. Morrison can likely be had in the 3rd round, but either Beck or Hughes can be a possible steal pick at #37.

Ultimately, the Devils missed out on a top-line caliber F in Juraj Slafkovsky, whom I sincerely believe was their target at #2 overall. There are some players left befitting this description, and I'd say the top high-scoring options to be Alexander Perevalov, Gleb Trikozov and Jagger Firkus.

Fitzgerald has declared a desire to get tougher to play against, and as such I feel a power F might be high on his list. Possible picks here would include Julian Lutz, Jani Nyman, Kirill Dolzhenkov and NJ-native Devin Kaplan.

Here's a list of top players remaining by position:

CENTER:
1 Owen Beck
2 Logan Morrison
3 Jack Hughes
4 Aleksanteri Kaskimaki
5 Luca Del Bel Belluz
6 Matyas Sapovaliv
7 Sandis Vilmanis
8 Bryce McConnell-Barker
9 Servac Petrovsky
10 Brennan Ali

LEFT WING:
1 Adam Sykora
2 Viktor Neuchev
3 Julian Lutz
4 Rieger Lorenz
5 Jani Nyman
6 Dylan James
7 Joel Jonsson
8 Mikey Milne
9 Kirill Dolzhenkov
10 Beau Jelsma

RIGHT WING:
1 Alexander Perevalov
2 Gleb Trikozov
3 Jagger Firkus
4 Matthew Seminoff
5 Devin Kaplan
6 Vinzenz Rohrer
7 Marcus Nguyen
8 Jack Devine
9 Gavin Hayes
10 Maddox Flemming

LEFT DEFENSE:
1 Arseni Koromyslov
2 Calle Odelius
3 Vladimir Grudinin
4 Isaiah George
5 Tomas Hamara
6 Simon Forsmark
7 Alexander Pelevin
8 Lane Hutson
9 Artyom Duda
10 Tnias Mathurin

RIGHT DEFENSE:
1 Ryan Chesley
2 Tristan Luneau
3 Noah Warren
4 Artyom Barabosha
5 Michael Mastrodomenico
6 Seamus Casey
7 Michael Fisher
8 Ryan Healey
9 Ty Nelson
10 Kasper Kulonummi

POWER FORWARD:
1 Julian Lutz
2 Jani Nyman
3 Devin Kaplan
4 Kirill Dolzhenkov
5 Matyas Sapovaliv
6 Bryce McConnell-Barker
7 Danny Zhilkin
8 Daniil Bourosh
9 Liam Arnsby
10 Parker Bell
You have no clue if the devils thought Nemec was the BPA or not. That is a complete assumption with 0 basis. Stop confusing your personal BPA or even the consensus one as what the devils come up with for their drafts lists.

Every team has a different draft lists and rankings.
Many scouts saw Nemec as a top 2 guy and the devils very well could’ve as well.
Same with Mukhammadullin. You didn’t rank him there and the consensus didn’t but that doesn’t mean the devils didn’t actually just view that highly.
If the Devils really drafted for need they would’ve more likely taken the big power winger Fitz is looking for in Gauthier or the big physical RD in Jiricek who fits Fitz’s mold.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You have no clue if the devils thought Nemec was the BPA or not. That is a complete assumption with 0 basis. Stop confusing your personal BPA or even the consensus one as what the devils come up with for their drafts lists.

Every team has a different draft lists and rankings.
Many scouts saw Nemec as a top 2 guy and the devils very well could’ve as well.
Same with Mukhammadullin. You didn’t rank him there and the consensus didn’t but that doesn’t mean the devils didn’t actually just view that highly.
If the Devils really drafted for need they would’ve more likely taken the big power winger Fitz is looking for in Gauthier or the big physical RD in Jiricek who fits Fitz’s mold.
Honestly, you could be right. I'm admittedly speculating. And again, I'm a big fan of Nemec.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Honestly, you could be right. I'm admittedly speculating. And again, I'm a big fan of Nemec. But I'm similarly a big fan of maximizing assets on draft day, and I'm not sure I can be convinced we're doing that. Trade-downs are done all the time. Shero utilized this often.

Ultimately, I have a hard time believing Stillman was atop on the Devils draft board at #29 in 2021, and again maybe I'm wrong, but it's my opinion and I feel this is the most apropos place to air it. Nemec was of course still a good pick -- he immediately jumps to #2 on the NJ prospect board and easily to #1 among prospect RD. He's a high-floor defenseman with a very good ceiling, as well. So, I'm not upset, it just concerns me when I think about the rest of the draft to come.
I don’t think there’s any realistic trade down that could’ve happened where they still get Nemec if they wanted him.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Beck, Chesley, Firkus, Warren, Trikozov and Perevalov are all players I'm very high on. Would absolutely love to somehow add another 2nd round pick and come away with two of these guys.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Beck, Chesley, Firkus, Warren, Trikozov and Perevalov are all players I'm very high on. Would absolutely love to somehow add another 2nd round pick and come away with two of these guys.
I would be interested in that too. Take a Center and then either another RD such as Chesley or a high-upside winger. Or a goalie if there’s one we really want but I think we can leave that to the 3rd round or one of our 4ths.

I’d be fine trading Zacha for a 2nd round pick at this point unless there’s something bigger such as a hockey trade in the works.
Maybe Smith too but would probably need more than just a 2nd.

If we could get Chesley and a solid C prospect with middle-6 potential that would be great.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Please not Jack Hughes.

Neuchev sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind another RHD like Warren, Chesley or the captain of the Black Pearl, but he might be available in the 3rd.

I would be open to trade Smith for a high 2nd. I don't believe he will get a lot of opportunities (PP time) to regain his value.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Please not Jack Hughes.

Neuchev sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind another RHD like Warren, Chesley or the captain of the Black Pearl, but he might be available in the 3rd.

I would be open to trade Smith for a high 2nd. I don't believe he will get a lot of opportunities (PP time) to regain his value.
Looks like the Russians are all falling, as many predicted. Neuchev could possibly be had much later on. It's getting difficult to tell after Miroshnichenko and Yurov both fell past #20. Conversely, there is the possibility NHL scouts just did not have them ranked as highly as players selected before them.

I agree now would be a nice time to trade not only Smith but also Johnsson and likely Zacha. More 2nd round picks would be ideal. If the Devils could come away post-2nd round of the 2022 draft with another RD like Chesley or Luneau, after this player and Nemec the RD hole in the organization would be pretty well solved.

Another pick would also potentially enable the team to shore up the hole at C with another high-end guy like Owen Beck or take another shot at a high-end, top-6 W with Perevalov or Trikozov or Firkus.

Reactions: My3Sons and nugg

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
great primer, STI, thank you. lots of favorites for me in perevalov, lutz, beck, sykora, etc. cant wait to see where petrovsky and rohrer go, too, but perhaps not at 37 lol

i must say, as someone who was outwardly critical of picks like mukhamadullin and stillman, i am more than content with the nemec selection. simon is a tremendous puck mover, who clearly fits the mold of what our department values in defenders, and has one of the most glistening resumes of any prospect. while i know our general consensus on the board was that jiricek was a smidge better, nemec was much more commonly ranked above him outside here, and while it was far from prominent, lets not pretend he didnt get top 2 support as well (cam and wheeler stick out). on the wright situation: yes i wouldve picked him too, but all the talk on scouts being incredibly soured by his effort level and engagement seemingly turned out true (black book for quotes), and while i wouldnt condone passing on wright just because hes a center, NJ entering with slafkovsky at 1 and nemec 2 is totally believable to me and honestly i struggle to think we were the only ones to have nemec rated that highly. in any case, one pair with luke hughes on it and another with simon nemec will be very difficult for opposing teams to shut down both of

and im in agreement with @Captain3rdLine, even if we throw all of this out and say fitzgerald got cute, i dont even think the trade down scenario is there. ARZ? well they just willingly went cooley over wright, so i dont think theyd have entertained moving up. SEA? maybe. CBJ/PHI? do we really want to set a division rival up with a pissed off wright? CHI? i mean at this point nemec is so far out of the question theres no point in continuing. so we have SEA as the only team that really couldve made sense as a trade down candidate. whos to say francis had interest? whos to say francis wouldnt have picked nemec himself? there was a ton of smoke predraft on SEA looking at him. tom fitzgerald absolutely has a pick management issue but i dont think the simon nemec selection is representative of that (we'll save our complaints for pick 37 ;) )

very good day for the devils adding nemec to an already overflowing prospect cupboard

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
It depends who goes in the first four picks but I feel like Julian Lutz could be our pick. Power foward with excellent skating, odd European touch. All the elements are there.
I like what I read about him too. Black book has him at #26. (also of note they have Trikozov at #18)
Big Kid with playmaking skills, and a great skater. Incosistent after coming off an injury but a lot of talent. Id be very cool with that pick, or the 2 russians or Beck/sykora. Well, really, Id be happy with anyone who Is big and can really skate at this point

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Firkus is intriguing but doesn’t seem like a Fitz player at all. Good chance he’ll be gone before 37 though so we’ll likely never know.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It depends who goes in the first four picks but I feel like Julian Lutz could be our pick. Power foward with excellent skating, odd European touch. All the elements are there.
Agreed.

I'm also keeping an eye on 6'4 LW Jani Nyman and 6'4 C Matyas Sapovaliv. W Adam Sykora is just 5'11 but plays a ferocious power game, and from my understanding he's very close friends with Simon Nemec. -- he'd be an outstanding pick at #37.

If Owen Beck falls to #37 all bets could be off -- he's an incredibly fast and intelligent two-way center. And I'm still not ruling out another high pick on a RD, especially since we still need a defensive guy like Chesley or Warren to pair in the future with Luke Hughes. Luneau is also a steal RD at #37, more of a two-way threat.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't care that we took Nemec in the first round, I REALLY, REALLY want Chesley. I can't believe he's still on the board.

At least with Shero, we've seen a willingness, or even an over commitment, to target a particular position and over-draft it like we did when we drafted a ton of defensive LD a few years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if we took him should he still be available.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad