Confirmed with Link: Devils 2021 Schedule

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This Swiss cheese defense is gonna get absolutely destroyed in that division.

There’s like one team that has any kind of decent chance of being worse than us, the Sabres, and even that I’m not at all confident in.

I was told the days of this team competing for last place were over. Yeah right, I’ll believe it when I see it. It seems pretty clear to me that the only realistic chance of that is if Blackwood and Hughes become stars in this league overnight.

You don't know how to read, because in the next post, I clarified that that was referring to 2024, not this year.

Reactions: Darkauron

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This could end up being epic, depending on the standings.

Kind of feeling the baseball vibe. Changes the coaching strategy.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You don't know how to read, because in the next post, I clarified that that was referring to 2024, not this year.
I obviously didn’t see it, it was further down the page, you weren’t quoting me, and I hadn’t read through every post.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You have to be drinking some major kool aid to think there’s a decent chance the devils are not gonna be at the bottom of that division. Every single other roster is better (the only reason I’d rank Buffalo lower is because of their recent reputation for ineptitude).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I obviously didn’t see it, it was further down the page, you weren’t quoting me, and I hadn’t read through every post.

It also should've been obvious from context that I was talking about that because 'long over' could not refer to last year, and I was talking about you shifting the goalposts on rebuilding. Incredible how you didn't see it but managed to remember the previous post so well that you could quote it.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It also should've been obvious from context that I was talking about that because 'long over' could not refer to last year, and I was talking about you shifting the goalposts on rebuilding. Incredible how you didn't see it but managed to remember the previous post so well that you could quote it.
So obvious that you had to clarify it to a completely different poster.

Man, the snark.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Schedule surprisingly not as condensed as I expected. Devils with two solid goalies should have an advantage but perhaps not an incredible one. Devils should still be thinking playoffs and extending at least one of Palmieri/Gusev though. Definitely can't have a repeat of last year's opening month(s) at least.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So obvious that you had to clarify it to a completely different poster.

Man, the snark.

Easy to read past the context when you're not in the conversation. I didn't make it particularly clear, but again, you're digging up those words to try to dunk on me in a different thread. So yeah, the snark.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You have to be drinking some major kool aid to think there’s a decent chance the devils are not gonna be at the bottom of that division. Every single other roster is better (the only reason I’d rank Buffalo lower is because of their recent reputation for ineptitude).

i don't know about 'decent' but given all the uncertainty and general nuttiness of this 'schedule' there is of course a chance we finish at the bottom of the 'division'.

the team is in great shape on paper, it's all going to come down to ruff. no kool aid required for that opinion.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
i don't know about 'decent' but given all the uncertainty and general nuttiness of this 'schedule' there is of course a chance we finish at the bottom of the 'division'.

the team is in great shape on paper, it's all going to come down to ruff. no kool aid required for that opinion.
We are in great shape on paper??

I hope as much as any fan that my team will do well, but this is not grounded in reality especially when comparing to other rosters they will be playing against.

This is the same story every off season for the last six odd years, and every year the lack of objectivity about this team’s talent level gets worse.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as I posted in the other thread....

- the Devils have a new coach, one with a proven track record. We haven't had one of those in how many years?
- the Devils have a bunch of new players
- the Devils have a bunch of young players whom you could realistically think are going to improve, especially under a coach known for progressing young players
- the Devils have one of the top goalie tandems in the league, which will really help in this condensed season

anyone claiming that they know definitively where the Devils are going to finish in the standings is just being a know-it-all. They won't be one of the best teams in the league, but they could definitely be right on the playoff bubble.

In fact, if you know they'll be bad, why watch? Why come to this board?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We are in great shape on paper??

I hope as much as any fan that my team will do well, but this is not grounded in reality especially when comparing to other rosters they will be playing against.

This is the same story every off season for the last six odd years, and every year the lack of objectivity about this team’s talent level gets worse.

yes? our coaching staff is (likely) better, our defense is better, our goaltending is better. our forwards are still unknown, there could be some wildcards earning a spot out of camp, but having said that they can't be worse than they were.

6 years is a long time, and i'm so sorry the turnaround wasn't completed overnight, but as you know shero had shit to work with.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Devils are not in great shape on paper at all. Team going into last year was much better "on paper." With that said there's reason for hope, and playoffs are possible. Ruff and Crawford are big time upgrades I think and most of the returning players other than Zajac I also expect to improve. Regardless there are still a ton of holes and the bottom 6 in particular might be a disaster.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Devils are not in great shape on paper at all. Team going into last year was much better "on paper." With that said there's reason for hope, and playoffs are possible. Ruff and Crawford are big time upgrades I think and most of the returning players other than Zajac I also expect to improve. Regardless there are still a ton of holes and the bottom 6 in particular might be a disaster.

so the team isn’t better on paper at all, but you think our two biggest problem areas (goaltending and coaching) both got big time upgrades.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
so the team isn’t better on paper at all, but you think our two biggest problem areas (goaltending and coaching) both got big time upgrades.

I think that's a defensible position. Note that he said that the Devils are not in great shape on paper, not that they aren't better, but I think they're probably not better 'on paper' either.

Last season's roster to start the year, not here this year: Hall, Coleman, Vatanen, Greene, Schneider, Simmonds, Rooney, Anderson, Hayden, Mueller

Players here this year not here last year: Crawford, Johnsson, Murray, Kulikov, (Merkley), assorted players

That's counting on a lot of internal improvement, even with Hall being awful last season. Now the offseason isn't over and I could see the Devils adding a forward, especially if they can't sign Bratt, but yeah, I'll take last year's team on paper. This one has a good shot at being better than that one, though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think that's a defensible position. Note that he said that the Devils are not in great shape on paper, not that they aren't better, but I think they're probably not better 'on paper' either.

Last season's roster to start the year, not here this year: Hall, Coleman, Vatanen, Greene, Schneider, Simmonds, Rooney, Anderson, Hayden, Mueller

Players here this year not here last year: Crawford, Johnsson, Murray, Kulikov, (Merkley), assorted players

That's counting on a lot of internal improvement, even with Hall being awful last season. Now the offseason isn't over and I could see the Devils adding a forward, especially if they can't sign Bratt, but yeah, I'll take last year's team on paper. This one has a good shot at being better than that one, though.

right, so the defense is better (let's add smith to your list too), the goaltending is better, and we have a presumably better coach. i'll take that all day long over last year.

i agree that we'll be counting on a lot of internal improvement, specifically at forward, more specifically from hughes, and i'd bet we see it

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Just because we’ve upgraded the coaching and goaltending and we MIGHT be better than last year does not automatically mean we are going to be better than 7 other teams in the division, and if you are looking at those other teams and claiming that there’s a good chance we will be in the thick of the playoff hunt with them you are not being objective, I’m sorry.

This is not about being pessimistic, it’s about setting aside your emotions as a fan for a second and recognizing reality.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
as I posted in the other thread....

- the Devils have a new coach, one with a proven track record. We haven't had one of those in how many years?
- the Devils have a bunch of new players
- the Devils have a bunch of young players whom you could realistically think are going to improve, especially under a coach known for progressing young players
- the Devils have one of the top goalie tandems in the league, which will really help in this condensed season

anyone claiming that they know definitively where the Devils are going to finish in the standings is just being a know-it-all. They won't be one of the best teams in the league, but they could definitely be right on the playoff bubble.

In fact, if you know they'll be bad, why watch? Why come to this board?
I didn’t say I know it for a fact, I’m not Nostradamus. I’m simply talking about realistic likelihoods. So yes I watch to see if they will prove me wrong, because contrary to what you and your ilk say I’m still a fan of this team and I want to see them do well even if it doesn’t appear realistic or likely.

Additionally, as a fan you have a vested interest in watching how individual players perform/progress and various other aspects of the game/team.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
This is some really dumb stuff to argue about. But then again, I am never surprised by some posters in having to be right. :) how about you just wait for the season and see what happens.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the thing is these teams are all going to beating up on each other. There are no games against Ottawa, Detriot, etc to pad wins and stats. All of these games will be tough. And yes, the Devils are not one of the best teams in the division....but there are still a bunch of question marks in our division

How long will Marchand/Pastrnak be out for Boston? Without those 2, is Boston nearly as scary?
How will Samsonov react to being the #1 and not having Lundqvist there to help? Also, Washington has a lot of older players.
I would put the Rangers right on the same par as the Devils on paper...probably slightly better because they have a legitimate star in Panarin
Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin but is anyone honestly scared of anyone else there? They got worse this offseason IMO
The Sabres goaltending situation stinks and their roster really isn't that great either. We worried about them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad