Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Other than their salaries and past history, what have Gusev and Palmieri done to stay in the lineup ahead of Boqvist, Kuokkanen and Merkley?
A little early for that IMO because they have to make decisions on both players with respect to if/what type of contract they want to offer. Like I said in my above post, I would like to see rotating Fs once they get an extra on the roster and would consider putting those guys in if they do not pick it up.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I get the impression Ruff likes Kuok a lot more than posters here realize. Everyone has him on the bench when everyone is healthy and I am not so sure that will happen, especially for any long stretch.

As a general comment, the Devils be rotating Fs when Bratt is back and they are carrying one more F on the active roster. As an example, Sharangovich looks like he needs a day off and IMO should not play in both of the back to backs this weekend.

Kuokannen had a nifty play on the Zajac goal, dropping the puck back to Johnsson and then tying up the defender to allow Johnsson's shot to get through. I'd certainly be in favor of seeing Ruff rotate some guys in/out of the lineup at F once Bratt returns and sooner on defense.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kuokannen had a nifty play on the Zajac goal, dropping the puck back to Johnsson and then tying up the defender to allow Johnsson's shot to get through. I'd certainly be in favor of seeing Ruff rotate some guys in/out of the lineup at F once Bratt returns and sooner on defense.

This is likely a big reason why. He’s been involved in generating chances and moving the puck up the ice even if he isn’t the most notable one out there. McLeod and Bastian are both noticeable and it was hiding the fact that Kuokkanen was making a lot of nifty plays to set them up and push the play.

Never mind ignore waivers, I thought Kuokkanen needed them this year. Kuokkanen, McLeod, Hughes, Sharangovich, Boqvist, and Merkley for a couple more weeks can go to taxi squad without waivers.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

This is likely a big reason why. He’s been involved in generating chances and moving the puck up the ice even if he isn’t the most notable one out there. McLeod and Bastian are both noticeable and it was hiding the fact that Kuokkanen was making a lot of nifty plays to set them up and push the play.

Kuokkanen also partially benefits from needing waivers to go the taxi squad as well. Right now we’re running with 12F, 8D, 3G. Only Hughes, McLeod, Bastian, Merkley (for a couple more weeks) and Boqvist don’t need waivers to go back to the taxi squad. Interesting to see how that plays out with Bratt back.

Kuokkanen does not need to clear waivers to be sent down to the taxi squad while Bastian does.

Given Bastian's start to the season though, I don't see them taking that risk to try to send him down.

Eventually something is going to have to give with the roster - whether they try to send Wedgewood and/or Comrie down to the taxi squad to drop to 2 goalies on the active roster and/or waive Carrick and/or Tennyson to the taxi squad to open up some spots. Otherwise there's not much flexibility to rotate in/out forwards.

Camille the Eel

Kuokkanen had a strong game last night. He was very noticeable and involved in the play. Fast in on the forecheck and it seemed that when he was, we chased pucks down and didn’t get caught by counter attacks.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Other than their salaries and past history, what have Gusev and Palmieri done to stay in the lineup ahead of Boqvist, Kuokkanen and Merkley?

I don't see why they'd need another reason. Sitting a guy who has consistently been really really good and another who was 7th in 5v5 primary assists per 60 last season (even with an awful start) because they've had slow starts after 10 months off doesn't make sense. It isn't even like Boqvist, Kuokannen or Merkley have been amazing or anything either where it'd make sense to play them over Palmieri or Gusev

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Stands to reason that if three guys who are at the beginning stages of their respective careers are already more effective than veterans who lost a ton of hockey games over the past few seasons that those younger players are going to continue to improve as they get experience and mature physically.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kuokkanen does not need to clear waivers to be sent down to the taxi squad while Bastian does.

Given Bastian's start to the season though, I don't see them taking that risk to try to send him down.

Eventually something is going to have to give with the roster - whether they try to send Wedgewood and/or Comrie down to the taxi squad to drop to 2 goalies on the active roster and/or waive Carrick and/or Tennyson to the taxi squad to open up some spots. Otherwise there's not much flexibility to rotate in/out forwards.

Oh yes you’re right about that.

Devils will likely just carry 8D and 3G. Send down either Tennyson or Carrick if Butcher isn’t dealt somewhere by then. With Sharangovich, Boqvist, Kuokkanen, and McLeod all being able to go down to taxi squad without waivers it’s almost like having an extra four forwards right there. Just rotate them in and out as their games tail off or if they need rest.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Ideally, the Devils will send down Carrick and Tennyson to the taxi squad once Vatanen is ready to play. Doubt either one gets claimed, but if one does I wonder if the Devils risk sending the other down as the defensive depth beyond those players drops off significantly. Having those two on the taxi squad frees up players such as Bahl and Maltsev to practice/play with the AHL club. It also gives some flexibility to the forward group, as eventually a key forward will come down with an injury that'll cause him to miss a game or two but not be long-enough to place on IR - at which point the player needs to sit out at least 7 days. It also gives Ruff the flexibility to bench a player like Zacha, Johnsson or whoever if he feels they need a kick in the ass.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ideally, the Devils will send down Carrick and Tennyson to the taxi squad once Vatanen is ready to play. Doubt either one gets claimed, but if one does I wonder if the Devils risk sending the other down as the defensive depth beyond those players drops off significantly. Having those two on the taxi squad frees up players such as Bahl and Maltsev to practice/play with the AHL club. It also gives some flexibility to the forward group, as eventually a key forward will come down with an injury that'll cause him to miss a game or two but not be long-enough to place on IR - at which point the player needs to sit out at least 7 days. It also gives Ruff the flexibility to bench a player like Zacha, Johnsson or whoever if he feels they need a kick in the ass.

I'd like to see Okhotiuk get a shot at the third pairing. He looked great in camp.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I am always confused when I see "marone" cause the way my family pronounced that doesn't sound like that is spelled...

The Italian side of my family (mother side 100%) would pronounce that like mot-own

I have never in my life seen it as “mot-own”, but now I’ll never be able to un-see that.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I am always confused when I see "marone" cause the way my family pronounced that doesn't sound like that is spelled...

The Italian side of my family (mother side 100%) would pronounce that like mot-own
It’s “madon” as in Madonna, mother of Christ.

5-D894333-6525-433-C-AE5-E-29-D61-EF0-D64-D.jpg

Reactions: Clam Jensen

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
The bearer of hope is a translation of “Hoffnungsträger”, a very commonly used word in German for someone who people put hopes on. In English it sounds a bit medieval, majestic in my ears. Nico, the bearer of hope, came riding on his white horse, the wind in his hair, the people of New Jersey to his feet... ready to conquer mount Stanley...with his bloody wooden prosthesis leg!!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s “madon” as in Madonna, mother of Christ.

5-D894333-6525-433-C-AE5-E-29-D61-EF0-D64-D.jpg
Feel dumb. I have heard that all my life and never realized that's what they were saying....I honestly thought it was just slang and I can even speak a little a bit. By a little I mean probably a 100 or so works I used to communicate with great grandmother. Wow, never put 2 and 2 together

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Never mind ignore waivers, I thought Kuokkanen needed them this year. Kuokkanen, McLeod, Hughes, Sharangovich, Boqvist, and Merkley for a couple more weeks can go to taxi squad without waivers.

This makes almost no sense...Unless he accumulated a major portion of these stats in the past 2 games....

Because before this NO ONE on his line was generating shots to any great extent...Bastian is 11th on the team and McLeod is 13th in shots...Who is he shot assisting on? Or another explanation is the 4th line was playing behind Subban a lot, who leads the team in shots...Which means all he is doing is tossing it up to the point and the "nifty plays" is just a narrative?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad