Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The frustration for Wood is his decision making and inability to control the puck this year.

I think the decision making is coming from Wood trying to grow as a player so I think that will get better. I hope his puck control improves because it’s very harmful offensively and defensively right now.

If Wood had a few more pucks ping pong in the net then people wouldn’t be harping on him and, at least right now I’m his career, I think luck plays a big portion in his goals so he is more prone to large streaks, good and bad, than others players may be.

great post, i don’t disagree at all. he’s only 23, it wouldn’t be the first time a kid signs his first big contract and lays an egg the first year. i’m confident he can rebound next year

Drew Stafford. Although he hasn't played very much, so I'm not sure how much he'd even be in consideration.

haha yeah i considered him too. but i went with noesen since stafford barely plays (as you noted) and he is more useful on the PK and in the shootout

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
id like to see lappin get another chance honestly. he's not a difference maker but he plays hard and has a nose for the net at least

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Noesen is pretty much useless away from Zajac and Coleman. Luckily we only gave him a one year deal so we can get rid of him pretty easily if we need to.

As for Zacha, it is rather annoying that he only seems to play well offensively after he gets scratched/demoted. Then after a few games he's back to passive Zacha again. It's so frustrating because you can see the ability is there, he just doesn't seem to want to use it for whatever reason.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Noesen's pretty much a whatever scrubini dime a dozen bottom six guy, yeah he's been bad but I'm not expecting much. Zacha's 4 points as 2c is laughably bad, just pathetic, we're counting on him (yadda yadda something about defense...whatever). Wood's hold out and subsequent vanishing act has him on my shit list too, he's another one we were counting on to take a step. They're supposed be impacting the game not my liver.

Reactions: NJDevs26

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Noesen is pretty much useless away from Zajac and Coleman. Luckily we only gave him a one year deal so we can get rid of him pretty easily if we need to.

As for Zacha, it is rather annoying that he only seems to play well offensively after he gets scratched/demoted. Then after a few games he's back to passive Zacha again. It's so frustrating because you can see the ability is there, he just doesn't seem to want to use it for whatever reason.
Could it be that...and hear me out here...maybe he's just not that good?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
can't believe he doesn't have a single assist the whole season, like you can have nothing to do with a play and still luck into an assist at some point, especially playing center

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
So I legitimately was not trolling with the zacha question, I was unsure. But the fact that some of you said yes proves you’re just being fanboys.

Awful awful hockey player, and because ray didn’t do anything since last February, there’s no one that can step into his role. So rather than let him develop, he’s playing a role that he can’t cone close to handling. 4 points in 24 games is laughable for a second line center.

BUST

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
can't believe he doesn't have a single assist the whole season, like you can have nothing to do with a play and still luck into an assist at some point, especially playing center

He's not good and also unlucky. There've been 10 goals scored not by him with him on the ice and he doesn't have an assist on any of them. The odd thing is that his GF/60 is still 45th percentile or so, so goals are still going in at a good 3rd line rate with him on the ice.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So I legitimately was not trolling with the zacha question, I was unsure. But the fact that some of you said yes proves you’re just being fanboys.

Awful awful hockey player, and because ray didn’t do anything since last February, there’s no one that can step into his role. So rather than let him develop, he’s playing a role that he can’t cone close to handling. 4 points in 24 games is laughable for a second line center.

BUST

it’s a really odd thing to ask a question that you could’ve easily looked up yourself, and when people attempt to answer it to the best of their recollection you take it as a feather in your cap.

it’s even odder to say that there are zacha fanboys on these boards. i can’t think of anybody outside of ZBC (who disappeared mysteriously?) who kept pumping the guy’s tires, talking about sean couturier...and even ZBC seemed to face reality during zacha’s first pointless streak to start the year.

everybody rags on zacha all the time, and deservedly so. that you’re puffing out your chest about something that’s been said a million times before you on the boards isn’t the best look.

oh but you said you weren’t trolling so that must be true

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
it’s a really odd thing to ask a question that you could’ve easily looked up yourself, and when people attempt to answer it to the best of their recollection you take it as a feather in your cap.

it’s even odder to say that there are zacha fanboys on these boards. i can’t think of anybody outside of ZBC (who disappeared mysteriously?) who kept pumping the guy’s tires, talking about sean couturier...and even ZBC seemed to face reality during zacha’s first pointless streak to start the year.

everybody rags on zacha all the time, and deservedly so. that you’re puffing out your chest about something that’s been said a million times before you on the boards isn’t the best look.

oh but you said you weren’t trolling so that must be true
We’ve already done the going into people’s podts from the summer thing once this year, I don’t have the patience to do it again. And you’re wrong. People are still saying he plays well in every gdt.

Joke of a hockey player, very evident from the beginning of last year

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Like I said above, during the game they credited him with an assist, they must have taken it away.

So it's not about being a fanboy.

This is what this 'debate' is about? Because someone said he has five points instead of four? Talk about a reach. Especially when either total is pathetic anyway.

And look I'm done with Zacha too but anyone (not you) constantly bragging how you're right in every single thread on something negative is basically just posting to get under everyone's skin. Nobody's keeping track of how many things we all get right or wrong and I'd take no pleasure in being right about something negative on 'my' team.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
He's not good and also unlucky. There've been 10 goals scored not by him with him on the ice and he doesn't have an assist on any of them. The odd thing is that his GF/60 is still 45th percentile or so, so goals are still going in at a good 3rd line rate with him on the ice.

yeah that’s abnormal. and it’s not like he turns the puck over a ton or anything, he can move it to his teammates. he’s not good but he’s not 0 assists in 23 games bad

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

There were plenty of them.

But the first 20 or so games of this season was the giant meteor that finally extinguished the Zachasaurs. They just couldn't hold on any longer.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
There were plenty of them.

But the first 20 or so games of this season was the giant meteor that finally extinguished the Zachasaurs. They just couldn't hold on any longer.

i think there’s a really big difference between a fanboy and someone not willing to write off a 21 year old who has shown brief flashes of excellence. if you think there were plenty of zacha fanboys, then we obviously disagree on the definition of what a fanboy is.

and just to be 100% clear, the definition of fanboy that zharkenby was referring to was somebody mistakenly thinking that he got a point over the last nine games.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i think there’s a really big difference between a fanboy and someone not willing to write off a 21 year old who has shown brief flashes of excellence. if you think there were plenty of zacha fanboys, then we obviously disagree on the definition of what a fanboy is.

Yeah I would HOPE most fans would give their younger players the benefit of the doubt until they prove they can't produce at this level. Otherwise you're just a cynic more than a fan.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

and just to be 100% clear, the definition of fanboy that zharkenby was referring to was somebody mistakenly thinking that he got a point over the last nine games.

And it was an honest mistake because he was credited with one that was seemingly taken away for whatever reason.

I think not wanting to give up on a 21 year old kid is a pretty fair way to look at it.

I think one issue here is that some posters take their frustrations a bit too far and get into this weird super hatred of a player. You would think some of these guys shot their dogs or something.

The vitriol can get a bit out of hand.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And it was an honest mistake because he was credited with one that was seemingly taken away for whatever reason.

I think not wanting to give up on a 21 year old kid is a pretty fair way to look at it.

I think one issue here is that some posters take their frustrations a bit too far and get into this weird super hatred of a player. You would think some of these guys shot their dogs or something.

The vitriol can get a bit out of hand.

and honestly- i’ve said this before- zacha is a perfect 4th line center with PK duty on an actual stanley cup contender. we needed him to be a 2C because of other deficiencies in our roster/prospect pool, and he’s not. it sucks, but it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad