Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Exactly. When I think of forwards who have been consistently better than Bratt during the pre-season, I think Zacha, Palmieri, Johansson, Hall, Hischier. I don't think anybody else has been consistently better. Henrique has looked better at times, but worse at times, too. Same with Stafford. Am I forgetting anybody?

That sounds about right. I thought JQ played as well or better than him last night, but he hasn't been as consistent.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I have been absolutely blown away by Bratt. I understand the hesitance with handling a prospect his age, but his outstanding play needs to be rewarded.

Sticking to principle here hurts the team and it hurts Bratt. The kid certainly looks ready.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Random thought, I think we still need another high pick, but if we're taking a defenseman we could still find a stud in the middle of the first round or even with a few second rounders. These guys won't pan out for 3-4 years but look at the canes as an example. Guys like Slavin, Faulk and Diguiseppe were all second rounders and later I think

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Random thought, I think we still need another high pick, but if we're taking a defenseman we could still find a stud in the middle of the first round or even with a few second rounders. These guys won't pan out for 3-4 years but look at the canes as an example. Guys like Slavin, Faulk and Diguiseppe were all second rounders and later I think

We have enough assets to move up if we need too. God bless Shero.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I also have to applaud the Stafford signing. Shero has an uncanny knack for identifying serviceable veterans that fit our system. Much like the Stempniak signing and the Parenteau waiver claim, Stafford came out of nowhere, but it looks like he'll pan out much like his two predecessors did.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
At times, and you could say more often than not, I'm more comfortable with Prout out there than I am Lovejoy.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Also Prout has also been very mobile in the offensive zone taking the puck in deep by himself. He is also not afraid to shoot even though his shot is pretty putrid. He has looked SOLID.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
If Zacha and Hischier keep it up we won't even need McLeod IMO. He could be the odd man out in a package to move up or for a defense prospect

Even guys like Speers and Anderson can become more expendable now with the emergence (hopefully) of Bratt.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'll agree with others, Prout has been MUCH better than LJ and looked plenty serviceable throughout preseason. Plus, we know he'll take out the trash when we play certain teams like Philly.

I don't normally place much value on that attribute but we do have some young up and comers projected to be on our roster so there are games where having a tough customer in the lineup isn't the worst thing in the world. If he's playing better that makes it all the easier to have him in the lineup at times.

With regard to LJ however, I'll refer to a quote by JL.
"(Ben Lovejoy) looked like he lost the ability to play this game, which is strange. I have never seen this, never." :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'll agree with others, Prout has been MUCH better than LJ and looked plenty serviceable throughout preseason. Plus, we know he'll take out the trash when we play certain teams like Philly.

I don't normally place much value on that attribute but we do have some young up and comers projected to be on our roster so there are games where having a tough customer in the lineup isn't the worst thing in the world. If he's playing better that makes it all the easier to have him in the lineup at times.

With regard to LJ however, I'll refer to a quote by JL.
"(Ben Lovejoy) looked like he lost the ability to play this game, which is strange. I have never seen this, never." :laugh:

A player that can play a regular shift AND is able to drop the gloves and protect players is very useful. Prout looks like he can play a regular third pairing shift, but isn't going to let our players get roughed up.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A player that can play a regular shift AND is able to drop the gloves and protect players is very useful. Prout looks like he can play a regular third pairing shift, but isn't going to let our players get roughed up.

I don't want a defenseman regularly fighting. Playing short a forward for 5 minutes is whatever, playing short a D can put the team in some tough spots.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Posted my predictions on the cuts the other day, but I don't think much has changed:

Definites:

G: Ken Appleby, MacKenzie Blackwood, Scott Wedgewood
D: Tim Erixon, Josh Jacobs, Viktor Loov, Jacob MacDonald, Brian Strait, Colton White
F: Brandon Baddock, Nathan Bastian, Austin Cangelosi, Brian Gibbons, Brandon Gignac, Bracken Kearns, Ryan Kujawinski, Jan Mandat, Kevin Rooney, Ben Thomson

Debatable, but likely cut (keep one forward if Boyle isn't back yet to run 5 lines):

D: Michael Kapla, Yaroslav Dyblenko
F: Blake Pietila, Nick Lappin, Blake Speers, John Quenneville

That would leave the Devils with the following group and needing to cut two players.

Hall - Johansson - Palmieri
Bratt - Zacha - Stafford
Henrique - Hischier - Noesen
Blandisi - Boyle - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - McLeod

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Mueller - Santini
Butcher - Prout

Schneider
Kinkaid

Only thing I would probably change is keep Quenneville for now in place of McLeod if he's hurt. Maybe keep one of Speers/Lappin as well if Boyle isn't going to practice soon and give them a game with better linemates.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Exactly. When I think of forwards who have been consistently better than Bratt during the pre-season, I think Zacha, Palmieri, Johansson, Hall, Hischier. I don't think anybody else has been consistently better. Henrique has looked better at times, but worse at times, too. Same with Stafford. Am I forgetting anybody?
I think Bratt has exceeded his expectations the most and played on par with most of the guys you mentioned. So I'd say he's had the best camp. Blandisi and Noeson are the other guys that have had great camps and should be on the team. Quenville's camp was a slight step below but also very good. He should make the team, but I'm not sure how many spots there are. 3 guys that will need to show more to get on the team are Wood, McLoed and Speers. None of them played bad, the other players just had more of an impact.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Couple of thoughts

- Mcleod isn't NHL ready. Injured or not.
- Lovejoy's career is over. Here's how I see the D

Greene - Severson
Moore - Santini
Mueller - Butcher
Prout

- Give Bratt the 9 games, see how he does
- Quenneville is NHL ready
- Down the middle: Zacha, Hischier, Boyle, Zajac, Henrique, Coleman
- Mueller looking good
- Johansson/Stafford/Hischier looking good
- Palmieri in for a huge year

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Sigh.

This board, after all, is the paradigm of level-headed analysis and isn't overly prone to excessive emotion. Especially after an 8-1 win which is this board's equivalent to about 2am in Vegas.

I like Bratt. I'm just thinking that four games does not a career make and I'm trying to pre-emptively dull the pain that will show up around game 10 this year.

Hope I'm wrong. By all means, prove me wrong Jesper. Prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad