Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) IV - March to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
tavares is a completely unrealistic pipe dream...but man it’s fun to think about. i really believe he’ll re-sign with the isles

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
As a form of development I'm OK with giving a young guy a stretch to catch his breath, watch the game, practice, get his confidence up. Is it that big a deal if a young player only plays 60-70 games in a season? No I think that is fine for development.

Is that what coaches are doing? Like with Severson and Zacha, I think it is.

Now as per playing Santini the most difficult minutes a d-man can get, have him struggle, then bench him for a long stretch? That seems like an odd development path, and I wonder if the development of Santini was factored into him playing those tough minutes for so long while getting shelled.
Well he hasn’t played in nearly a month and some are dismissing it likes he’s only been boxed for 3 games.

He’s going to be so bad when he gets his first game back baldy will probably scratch him again.

I’ve got no issues with Hynes as coach but he seems hellbent on stunting Santini’s growth.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've been OK with Lovejoy over Santini. But there is a limit as to how long a kid should be in the press box, and I think we are very near it.

I suspect the team feels the same. One way or another I think the situation will change.

same. it’s less about santini being better/worse than lovejoy (which my phone autocorrects to lovejob, which might be better)...it’s more about santini sitting when he needs to play in order to develop

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That’s if it’s early in the season. Past a certain date even 1 games burns a year. The Canucks did it with Boeser last year as he played like 4-5 games at the end of the season.
Does that mean we also burned a year of Wood and Zacha’s eligibility, who also played in that one game?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He’s not still waiver eligible next year? I figured he had one more year to go, unless he passed some game mark, whatever that mark is.

I do agree though. I don’t like that he hasn’t played since January 8th. Hynes is the one who put him in that top pairing role to begin with.

I’m fine with sending him to Bingo, but not fine with him just sitting up here and not playing.
No, him and Wood signed three year deals at the end of 2016 and both played in the final game of the season, burning the first year. Essentially means they get a raise after two seasons instead of three.

Good way to get your college players to turn pro. Bad news for us means he'll no longer be on his ELC.

Santini will be 23 in March. For a 23 year old to be waiver ineligible, they have to have two or less years of experience and 60 or less total GP. He exceeds both because currently has 75 career GP and he has played in three NHL seasons; 2016 (1 GP), 2017 (38 GP), and 2018 (36 GP). So this is his last season of waiver eligibility.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Palmieri, Mojo, Zajac, and the Plight of the Vets

Pretty good article about the struggles of MoJo, Zajac, and Palms this year. Need them to turn around.
Think of how well we are doing without them.

I think it should have some positive light shed on it instead of always negative. Obviously its a negative they arent producing but its also a major positive that the kids are stepping up (id rather this than the opposite case)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No, him and Wood signed three year deals at the end of 2016 and both played in the final game of the season, burning the first year. Essentially means they get a raise after two seasons instead of three.

Good way to get your college players to turn pro. Bad news for us means he'll no longer be on his ELC.

Santini will be 23 in March. For a 23 year old to be waiver ineligible, they have to have two or less years of experience and 60 or less total GP. He exceeds both because currently has 75 career GP and he has played in three NHL seasons; 2016 (1 GP), 2017 (38 GP), and 2018 (36 GP). So this is his last season of waiver eligibility.
How does playing a single NHL game burn a year of an ELC? Isnt it a 9-game stint is required to burn a year, hence players gets 4-8 games and then are sent down?

Or did I miss something in the discussion and were talking a different contract type?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'm gonna blame Nasreddine until proven otherwise.

DUCK YOU AUTOCORRECT!
dont-duck-with-me.jpg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How does playing a single NHL game burn a year of an ELC? Isnt it a 9-game stint is required to burn a year, hence players gets 4-8 games and then are sent down?

Or did I miss something in the discussion and were talking a different contract type?
There's a couple of different factors in play here. One is the college/juniors aspect. There's no transfer agreement with the NCAA, once a college player signs a professional contract they are never eligible to play college games ever again. With juniors and European players it's different.

There's also some confusing deadline issues, after certain dates the rules work differently. It's really complicated. Basically, that one game against Toronto on the last day of 2016 burned a year of Wood and Santini's ELCs, but not Zacha's.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Send Santini to the AHL already. He really has no place on the team the rest of the season. Might as well get minutes and hope he can rekindle his form from last year

That is nonsense. He is leaps and bounds better then Lovejoy and is better defensively then Severson as well.

A shaky defensive team shouldn’t be keeping one of their better defenders on the bench.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Santini has the worst Corsi in the NHL among DMen, or at least did for awhile when he was being force fed top line minutes

You do know that, right?

And it was proven multiple times that that was due to him not getting many chances for due to zone starts and match ups.

Shots against are in line with the rest of the D

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think that is about burning the year of waiver eligibility. Which I believe is different then the elc year.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
That is nonsense. He is leaps and bounds better then Lovejoy and is better defensively then Severson as well.

A shaky defensive team shouldn’t be keeping one of their better defenders on the bench.

Severson helps the team much much much more than Santini does. Vatanen is definitely better too. Analytics prove this. If you want to hide Santini on the 3rd pairing and put him in for Lovejoy, fine. Whatever. But it's not like Lovejoy has played bad in that role. Lovejoy is near the top of the team in CF%, GF%, and xGF%. When he's on the ice, we outscore teams on the 5 on 5 and out-possess and shoot teams on the 5 on 5. Why does he deserve to sit?

And it was proven multiple times that that was due to him not getting many chances for due to zone starts and match ups.

Shots against are in line with the rest of the D

Again, zone-starts have had little to no effect on his CF%. It's proven that zone-starts have no impact over the course of the season on a CF%. Even in extreme cases.

Did Santini have tough matchups? Yea he did. But this is a dude who isn't just bad in CF% and xGF%. His GF% on the 5 on 5 wasn't great either. This is a guy who is essentially dead last in the league in that. I'm sorry, maybe you're right. Santini probably could and would do a bit better playing easier minutes. But there's no way to say for sure he'd be playing better than any of those guys right now. In fact, he probably wouldn't considering Vatanen/Severson/hell even Lovejoy have all played top pairing minutes against tough competition and have all done better in CF% and xGF% than Santini. I mean I don't understand. Santini doesn't even pass the eye test when I watch him. He's a safe, play-absorber that doesn't keep the puck in the opponents zone and won't get the puck out of our zone much.

If you think Santini's CF% is going to go from 38% in tough minutes on the top line to 53% on the bottom-pairing, then you play Santini. I just don't think that's plausible however. Sorry.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Gibbons out 4-6 weeks from injury.

That's a big loss. Has Gibbons been lucky this year? Yup. But give him credit, he did produce on the 5 on 5 points wise when he got minutes. Desperately need another forward to step up and start chipping in on 5 on 5 points and help Nico/Hall/Wood/Bratt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad