Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm not normally the reactionary type, but I would trade Henrique. It's probably not going to happen, he's a fan favorite and all that.

But he's a one dimensional player whose actual value is less than his boxcar stat value. I suspect he's very well regarded around the league too. We could probably get a solid return.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not normally the reactionary type, but I would trade Henrique. It's probably not going to happen, he's a fan favorite and all that.

But he's a one dimensional player whose actual value is less than his boxcar stat value. I suspect he's very well regarded around the league too. We could probably get a solid return.

Agree with this.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Would gladly send Henrique+ (as long as the + isn't our 1st) somewhere for a young defenseman. He wouldn't be very difficult to replace. I'd be surprised if Zacha wasn't a better overall player than him in a year or 2. If we land one of the big time centers in the draft I think it makes Henrique quite expendable, and trading him away increases our odds of landing a high pick. 2017 pick - Zacha - Zajac - McLeod would be decent enough organizational depth at center. Plus we'd be addressing our organizational weakness at D with the trade most likely.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'd only do this if we get a young defender of similar age in return. Otherwise, it's pointless.

I'd much rather trade Cammalleri, retain whatever needs to be done to make it worth it, and use that as a wake-up call.

Henrique still is young enough to be an important part of this team. The way this team is trending this year it looks bound for a top four pick so if we can add another young center prospect and bounce Henrique to LW, we will be in much better shape.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

I agree with your assessment of his value and he's on a reasonable deal, but I think it has to involve a comparable forward or an upgrade. The forward group is bad enough as it is.

I would try to trade Cammalleri before Henrique.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I watched Slepyshev #42 for Edm last night alot. He's very fast, just got called up as Puju was moved down. Slepy is 6'2, 200plbs, 22 yo. RW
He was a 3rd rounder in '13.
He's kinda buried by the O that Edm has. It'd be nice for a small move like this, along with a big splash for a D man and another for some serious scoring

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
The only thing making me twitch about trading henrique is that garbage goal to clinch the east against the rangers in 2012

Never has the Rock shaked so much or been so loud.

otherwise i agree with everyone else. At this point he might be expendable.
I'm still on the trade cory bandwagon.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
The only thing making me twitch about trading henrique is that garbage goal to clinch the east against the rangers in 2012

Never has the Rock shaked so much or been so loud.

otherwise i agree with everyone else. At this point he might be expendable.
I'm still on the trade cory bandwagon.

For the right deal I'd consider basically anybody at this point. We need a culture shake up as much as a talent one.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
For the right deal I'd consider basically anybody at this point. We need a culture shake up as much as a talent one.

couldnt agree more

except i'd keep santini and speers and rights to bastian and rykov

im so beat down by them, im not sure i can stomach to watch tonight.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Cammalleri's play is a pretty solid reflection of our current play this year. As one of the regarded veterans on our team, he's basically showing the opposite of what a leader/veteran should be doing. I haven't seen anyone lose so many board battles, he's uninspired and doesn't seem to have a care in the world out there.

That level of compete, or lack thereof, is contagious in a locker room and is most probably the reason why so many of our players are half assing it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Cammalleri's play is a pretty solid reflection of our current play this year. As one of the regarded veterans on our team, he's basically showing the opposite of what a leader/veteran should be doing. I haven't seen anyone lose so many board battles, he's uninspired and doesn't seem to have a care in the world out there.

That level of compete, or lack thereof, is contagious in a locker room and is most probably the reason why so many of our players are half assing it.

Exactly.

Which is why I would say to get his ass out of NJ in whatever way possible. He's the least important piece to the future as far as the valuable players on this team goes.

With Henrique, you have the hope that he turns it around in the off-season and can go back to being the player he was earlier in his career. Palmieri could still be a 20-20 guy that plays with some fire. Zajac plays a ton of important minutes at C and same goes for Greene at defense.

With Cammalleri, he plays the position we have the most prospects (and NHL-ready) ones at LW and Hall has basically made him expendable. Trade him, retain 2.5 million, take back a cap-dump if you have to, and then tell Henrique/Palmieri they are next if they keep playing like they have.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
serious question
why does everyone automatically pencil in Palms as a legit 2nd liner?
as much as henrique has been crap, palms to me seems just as awful if not worse.
i cant take the obligatory one time from the offwing at the top of the circle that nearly never hits the net and always leads to a turnover.
what is the god damn point of that one timer? he should take a wrister and get it on net atleast and hope for a rebound.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Could Henrique + get us Duchene or Landeskog?

I don't see why they would do that.

They're looking to upgrade their defense by trading one of those two. Devils cannot help them there.

The most intriguing option with trading Henrique is targeting Vatanen out of Anaheim. Only problem there is Vatanen is a RD which we don't necessarily need. If we were trading Henrique, I would much rather it be for a LD otherwise it will just be trading Henrique to get rid of him and then we'd still have to make a move down the road.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If we're moving Henrique, I want a d-men back. The left or right side is pretty irrelevant cause we need as much help as possible on both sides. If Vatanen is our option, we'd have a stacked right side and acquiring left handed guys is easier to do anyways. It could also push Lovejoy down our depth chart cause I wouldn't want to see Santini get shortchange if we were to acquire a RHD.

BL has to go unprotected. He's the exact type of blueliner I don't want to see on our team. You can be a solid shutdown d-men but if you can't skate or make a simple breakout pass, you shouldn't be playing a important role on any team at the NHL level.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Vatanen would be a good addition as he can actually move the puck around. Would the Preds or Habs be interested in Henrique? I'm just wondering if Shero could acquire someone like Beaulieu or Ekholm if we were to trade Henrique. I'd be fine with Ellis too if something was added.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Trading Henrique is the more akin to spinning wheels at this point. I'd get rid of all the vet excess (Greene, Zajac, Camm) before I'd entertain trading him. I think Henrique can be a proven scorer if he can play wing with someone talented.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Trading Henrique is the more akin to spinning wheels at this point. I'd get rid of all the vet excess (Greene, Zajac, Camm) before I'd entertain trading him. I think Henrique can be a proven scorer if he can play wing with someone talented.

For me, I'm fed up with his lack of work ethic.

Zajac and Greene work hard and play strong defense. You need those guys around to help the youth.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Been joking with my Nashville Predators fan friend about Henrique for Ellis. The more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. We might have to add but Nashville could use a guy like Henrique and Ellis would fit in on our defense.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

I agree that Cammalleri should go.

I think Zajac and Greene should stay. We need to keep some veteran presence. I also don't want the team to be complete crap.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Before the season started I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would want Henrique traded. Unfortunately his supreme lack of effort has made me ambivalent to whether he would stay or go. I'm not focusing on just last nights games either; he has lacked effort the majority of the year.

I still think Henrique is a good player if he's playing hard; I'm just not sure we will see Henrique putting out a good effort with the Devils staying out of the playoffs. So I'd listen to trade ideas but I also would hope Henrique gives a better effort next year if he's still a Devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad