Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
…….

They need to do an intermission segment on what former Devils are up to. The less obvious one's. Not like Marty and Lou, or even Salvador and White. As we've seen them recently and White does Devils alumni, along with Driver, Grant Marshall and Jim Dowd. I'm talking more like guys like Ryder, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Mike Foligno too!:laugh:

vilgrain designs parks and playgrounds and golf courses as of a few years ago…..i just remembered his interview with stan

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Something I really don't understand is why Kalinin has not gotten any PK time.

He's showed a strong defensive game. He's shown a good ability to generate turnovers. He has an incredibly long reach that would be useful on the penalty kill.

As of right now, we rotate only five guys on the power play -- Zajac, Henrique, Josefson, Gionta, and Stempniak. Palmieri joins the rotation when we get into penalty trouble or one of those guys is in the box. All of those guys already play heavy minutes except for Gionta. Kalinin usually only plays ~13 minutes a game. I would rather see Kalinin be used in a PK role to keep our forwards fresh.

He's not particularly fast, which is the single most important skill of a forward on the powerplay. All the other guys you mentioned are faster than him and aside from Palmieri are about as good defensively (and it's not like Palmieri is bad). Kalinin's real value to the team is at even strength, where his possession abilities can shut down the opponent. You don't really get to play the possession game he thrives on down a man.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
vilgrain designs parks and playgrounds and golf courses as of a few years ago…..i just remembered his interview with stan

I remember that goal he scored on Hextall, because it was the first thing I thought of when Claude Lemieux did it a few years later in the playoffs. It was almost identical, aside from Vilgrain burning every Flyer.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He's not particularly fast, which is the single most important skill of a forward on the powerplay. All the other guys you mentioned are faster than him and aside from Palmieri are about as good defensively (and it's not like Palmieri is bad). Kalinin's real value to the team is at even strength, where his possession abilities can shut down the opponent. You don't really get to play the possession game he thrives on down a man.

He doesn't look fast, but he covers a lot of ground quickly with his long strides.

He constantly overpowers players in puck battles and gets takeaways on a consistent basis. He's shown to be solid defensively.

I just think he should be rotated in to give our better players a rest. We need to get some more bottom-six players who can play the penalty kill, I think. We place too many of our skill players there.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
Would anyone do a Severson for Drouin trade ?

When it's been discussed before most posters seemed to be against it, but I would be open to it. We'll never draft 3rd overall and get a Drouin-esque player as long as Schneider is healthy, and it's much easier to get defensive talent outside of the very top of the draft. I know it would be a risk, but I don't anticipate every trade will be a Palmeiri-esque heist. You have to give to get.

Edited to add I forgot the lottery is different now, so it would be easier for a team to narrowly miss the playoffs and still draft high, but I still would at least entertain the idea of making that trade. I'm not saying I definitely would, but I wouldn't reject the idea out of hand either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Any chance Severson is on the trade block, maybe for Drouin? Just a thought.

They would not be scratching him for that purpose unless a trade was imminent. It doesn't exactly build up trade value to have the guy you want to trade be a healthy scratch.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
He's not particularly fast, which is the single most important skill of a forward on the powerplay.

This is not true. The powerplay is where speed is the least important part of being a forward. In fact, it's the only time that speed isn't important at all for a forward. It's very important on the penalty kill and a definite advantage at even strength. Think about Michael Ryder.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean, we kind of knew he was injury prone when we signed him. It's just really ****** timing that he's hurt now.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We should trade Step and Schmlenko at the deadline if we keep losing or don't go on a winning streak here. Highly unlikely we are making the playoffs, should get some return for these two. Can always try to sign them in the offseason.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Soooo about those playoff hopes...As I said, if we are truly honest with ourselves, judging just how bad our even strength goals are, do we really believe we could make it past the first round in post season?

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Soooo about those playoff hopes...As I said, if we are truly honest with ourselves, judging just how bad our even strength goals are, do we really believe we could make it past the first round in post season?

first round?!?

we'll be lucky to make it in the playoffs.

if by some chance we do make it, we'll be lucky to win a game against the Caps.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York

Agreed, even if we make it we would be lucky to win a game in round 1. This team just can't score a goal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Do I even need to post the Jim Mora video?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
At this point, if teams offer anything worthwhile for any of the UFAs, pull the trigger.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I still maintain a team might offer a first for Stempniak. Schlemko might be a surprise too as far as what he might bring back.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I still maintain a team might offer a first for Stempniak. Schlemko might be a surprise too as far as what he might bring back.

Nobody is offering a first, no chance. He isn't a star player. He doesn't have a history of this type of production and also isn't young. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he brings back that high of a return.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Nobody is offering a first, no chance. He isn't a star player. He doesn't have a history of this type of production and also isn't young. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he brings back that high of a return.

I don't think we'll get a first for him but teams do stupid things at the deadline.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Do I think it will happen? No but I certainly wouldn't be shocked. Teams do weird things at the deadline and just because he doesn't have the history of the type of season he's having, doesn't mean he's currently not playing well. Maybe a team gambles on that carrying over down the stretch and through the playoffs? I think a 2nd is almost a lock and it needs to be considered if offered.

Edit: I just did a little research and Versteeg and Fisher were both traded in 2011, with similar numbers as Stempniaks right now, and brought back 1sts. I don't know their contract situations or anything like that but just from a statistical standpoint they're very similar to Stempniak this year. I mean Gaustad brought back a first at the deadline in 2012. It wouldn't be completely shocking is someone overpaid for Stempniak.

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
****ing tired of Cammalleri and his body made of glass. What an absolute waste when we need him the most.

Anyone complaining clearly has no clue about his history. He misses time every year. If you didn't expect this and are angry or upset I do not sympathize for you. This is what the team paid for and make no mistake they knew what they were getting.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Do I think it will happen? No but I certainly wouldn't be shocked. Teams do weird things at the deadline and just because he doesn't have the history of the type of season he's having, doesn't mean he's currently not playing well. Maybe a team gambles on that carrying over down the stretch and through the playoffs? I think a 2nd is almost a lock and it needs to be considered if offered.

Edit: I just did a little research and Versteeg and Fisher were both traded in 2011, with similar numbers as Stempniaks right now, and brought back 1sts. I don't know their contract situations or anything like that but just from a statistical standpoint they're very similar to Stempniak this year. I mean Gaustad brought back a first at the deadline in 2012. It wouldn't be completely shocking is someone overpaid for Stempniak.

It would be shocking considering the trade market. Step is in his 30s now he isn't young and does't have a history of scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad