Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) Offseason version ‎IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He's a depth player on a cheap one year deal. Who gives a ****? If we're relying on a significant contribution from him, we won't be going anywhere. There are so many other glaring issues all over the ice that will be clearly more damaging. I hope he has a great year just to piss people off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think this team is going to surprise everyone both offensively and defensively.

I think this defense is decent and the added forward support is going to make a big difference.

Here is the defense that got us to the finals in 2012 -

Bryce Salvador (24 games) - Marek Zidlicky (24 games)
Andy Greene (24 games) Mark Fayne (24 games)
Anton Volchenkov (24 games) - Peter Harrold ( 17 games)

That defense wasn't that good personnel-wise, but it was good enough when combined with our forwards and the ability to roll 4 lines.

Our forwards this year wont be that, but they will be closer to "that" than have at any point in the last 4 years.

Being in a division with Washington, Pittsburgh, NYI and NYR is going to be difficult but I'm of the opinion that we are about to ice the best team we've had since Parise left.

That is all :)

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think this team is going to surprise everyone both offensively and defensively.

I think this defense is decent and the added forward support is going to make a big difference.

Here is the defense that got us to the finals in 2012 -

Bryce Salvador (24 games) - Marek Zidlicky (24 games)
Andy Greene (24 games) Mark Fayne (24 games)
Anton Volchenkov (24 games) - Peter Harrold ( 17 games)

That defense wasn't that good personnel-wise, but it was good enough when combined with our forwards and the ability to roll 4 lines.

Our forwards this year wont be that, but they will be closer to "that" than have at any point in the last 4 years.

Being in a division with Washington, Pittsburgh, NYI and NYR is going to be difficult but I'm of the opinion that we are about to ice the best team we've had since Parise left.

That is all :)

I think we can at least make the playoffs next season, but that's one of my unpopular opinions. :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think we can at least make the playoffs next season, but that's one of my unpopular opinions. :)

It's going to be real tough. I think we'll need some things to break just right while staying relatively healthy.

But we all know, a team never looks the same in February as it did October.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils forward unit was so much better in 2012 it's not even worth making such comparisons. Not to mention that the Devils didn't play one of the ten best teams in the league until the Finals.

I love that 2012 team - let's not go ruining their name by comparing this club with them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Devils forward unit was so much better in 2012 it's not even worth making such comparisons. Not to mention that the Devils didn't play one of the ten best teams in the league until the Finals.

I love that 2012 team - let's not go ruining their name by comparing this club with them.

The 2012 team just wasn't that good. It was really a hot mess until late January/February

The forward group was being driven by 3 players Parise, Elias and Kovalchuk.

The defense was in shambles early in the year when Taormina was playing top 4 minutes. Greene was injury, Tallinder was injured. The PP was horrific giving up short handed goal after short handed goal. Having Matt Taormina (30 games) and Kurtis Foster (28 games) playing a combined 58 games tells just about everything you need to know about the first half of the 2011-12 season.

Your heart maybe found of that team - But it really wasn't very good and they just happened to make some very minor but important additions at the right time that let them peek at a perfect time.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
The 2012 team just wasn't that good. It was really a hot mess until late January/February

The forward group was being driven by 3 players Parise, Elias and Kovalchuk.

The defense was in shambles early in the year when Taormina was playing top 4 minutes. Greene was injury, Tallinder was injured. The PP was horrific giving up short handed goal after short handed goal. Having Matt Taormina (30 games) and Kurtis Foster (28 games) playing a combined 58 games tells just about everything you need to know about the first half of the 2011-12 season.

Your heart maybe found of that team - But it really wasn't very good and they just happened to make some very minor but important additions at the right time that let them peek at a perfect time.
The Devils had 2 forwards in the top 10 in scoring, Parise with 69 pts and Clarkson with 30 goals. Not to mention Zajac didn't even play in the regular season. If Hall finished in the top 10, I'll be stoked. No one else is even close

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006

Nice to see your usual attachment to empiricism doesn't get in the way of dissing the Flyers and Rags. :laugh:

Second and sixth in the regular season to LA's 13th.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I also think the 2012 team was underrated cause of the division they played in. People say well they were the #6 seed and fourth in their division. Yeah fourth in a division with the Rangers 109 points (+39 goal difference), Penguins 108 points (+61 goal difference) and Flyers 103 points (+32 goal difference). All of those teams were in the top ten in goal difference and points.

The Devils got 102 points in the toughest division in hockey and beat two of them in the playoffs. And yes the acquisitions of Zidlicky (among others) and return of Zajac helped in the playoffs but I don't see ten better teams, certainly not without including more than one division team

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2011

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Ponikarovsky and the formation of the CBGB line were also great additions to that squad, especially the latter in that Rangers series. I do miss that team. They were just a fun group to watch.

I hope we get back to those days soon.

Group Chat Legend*

Hall, Henrique, Palmieri > Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias

Can we stop talking about a 2012 team in the 2016 thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad