Development of Kakko and Laf

Would you be feeling

• Total voters

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think its unfair to judge them both collectively because Kakko I have some concerns, Laf I'm not at all. Poll would be better with the two separated.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Are they underachieving or are expectations simply unreasonable? I think more of the latter. I'm expecting them to be around 0.5-0.6PPG next season.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
If you told a Ranger fan that by 22 (a couple weeks till 23) they'd be a 0.4 ppg player they should be very concerned.
I agree. If those high end picks don’t score 60-100 points in the near future (next 1-3 years) they can definitely be considered busts. You don’t pick #2/4 overall for a 30-45 point player

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't understand why Rangers fans make threads like this that only help give a bad reputation to our players.

Do you seriously believe most people answering this question have watched these players more than 2-3 times this season? You can only get a small snapshot of a player's game and development that way, so any analysis would be largely stats based or based on watching a very small sample size of games.

I'm not saying the answer to the question is don't worry at all. But what are you going to learn airing out your grievances about our development of these prospects on the main boards?

Reactions: TopShelfYzerman

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I don't understand why Rangers fans make threads like this that only help give a bad reputation to our players.

Do you seriously believe most people answering this question have watched these players more than 2-3 times this season? You can only get a small snapshot of a player's game and development that way, so any analysis would be largely stats based or based on watching a very small sample size of games.

I'm not saying the answer to the question is don't worry at all. But what are you going to learn airing out your grievances about our development of these prospects on the main boards?

First, I don't think that a thread that I post has the power to "give a bad reputation" to millionaire hockey players on the internet.

Second, the reason I posted this is because of an ongoing argument in the Rangers boards, where a few people want Quinn fired, largely because of how few minutes (overall and on the powerplay) he is giving to the Rangers best four young forwards (they have regularly been getting ~10 or 11 minutes per game for a month now, getting fewer minutes than anyone else on the team). One of our points is that this (stapling top young players to the bench) goes against literal decades of precedent on how to develop high end young talent.

The other side argues that the constant benching is a good thing, despite the fact that no other team has done this with 1st/2nd overall picks, and that because the Rangers are apparently such a superstar team right now, these kids can only get 4th line minutes. When I pointed out that the Rangers approach doesn't seem to be working, they deny it, and say that it is working fine. The two sides literally can't agree on the facts. I pointed out to one of the other side's ringleaders that none of us would have been happy if we'd been told how Kakko's first two seasons and Laf's first season had gone if someone told us on draft day. I was laughed at and told that this was a view held only by "Quinn haters."

Well, the results are in. Other than one vote (by the LolDevs guy, haha), every other fan would be concerned to some degree. Nobody would have expected these players to struggle the way they have.

The point is not to "give them a bad reputation." I fully believe that they will grow into the players we believed they could be on draft day. The difference of opinion is in how they can get there. I think the coach needs to get the hell out of their way and give them some sheltered minutes and some PP2 time so they can get on the ice and go through some growing pains, and figure it out. The other side seems to think what we've been doing is fine, and they'll surely become superstars by...apparently sitting on the bench and watching the rest of the team barely beat NJ and get embarrassed by the Islanders.

I didn't include the context of the debate in the OP because I didn't want to bias the poll results.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They are running into the Rangers biggest issue. They have a lot of winger depth. I guess an argument can be made to play LAF over Kreider and maybe Kaako over Blackwell but thats semantics. Restricting their ice time and creating a Laf/Chytil/Kaako line allows them to give them favorable zone time and shelter them.

They'll be fine. Both will push their way up the lineup.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Did Trouba suddenly get better recently and worth the contract he signed?
He's out now. Got injured last night. But yes, he's been playing pretty well the second half of the season. Worth the contract? No, it's a really big contract/cap hit, but he's been very solid the second half.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Every Ranger game I watch (I see periods of play here and there) I’ve really liked Kakko and Laf. They are both really young, of course, but they are both bigger guys who control the puck and make good plays. With puck on stick they are very good. Away from the puck, like almost every young offence star coming up, they are learning. These young star guys had the puck a lot more in the lesser leagues, than in the NHL. So there is always a development curve on how to play when they don’t have the puck.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not concerned this year with Kakko. Production isn't there, but his overall game is a complete 180 from last season. He's great on the boards. He's forechecking, back-checking, and creating a lot of turnovers. If Kakko can take this 2-way game and bring production in the O-zone next season, I'll be quite happy. If we're not seeing any production next season, yeah, i'll be concerned.

This is our current coaching strategy. When things are going right, put Blackwell in the top 6, when something goes wrong, bump him down and start rotating a winger on the Panarin-Strome line. As soon as any momentum is gained, push Blackwell back into that top 6 spot. The second unit gets anywhere from 15-30 seconds of PP time, and most of that is spent trying to enter the zone. It's hard to gain any confidence when you don't even touch the puck.

With Lafreniere, you can see the talent when the puck is on his stick, but he's forcing passes trying to make plays that aren't there. Awareness needs to be better in his own end when they take the puck away and he attempt breaking out. And the skating.... just wow. Lafreniere takes the first few strides like he has clown feet. There needs to be a big improvement in that area and that should help him not be a step behind the play.

I also don't see Chytil lasting as a center in the NHL. When and if he's traded, I see him being pushed on the wing.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Did Trouba suddenly get better recently and worth the contract he signed?

Trouba has been very good this season (despite a couple of injuries). Maybe $1-1.5 mil overpaid, but he’s been a leader on the ice and sets a good tone physically.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s funny how most of the thread is worried about Kakko but not Laf, even tho Kakko has been so much better the whole season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the expectations on top 5 picks got a bit skewed due to have a 15 year stretch that had Crosby/Ovy/McDavid

Even guys like Mackinnon/Stamkos/Seguin had average stats in their first year, or some like Draisaitl had pretty poor first season.

I do think these guys will be good, but 1 is probably going to be closer to a RNH level player, and one could be a Hall level player. Not every #1 pick turns into a stud

Reactions: JabbaJabba

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I think the expectations on top 5 picks got a bit skewed due to have a 15 year stretch that had Crosby/Ovy/McDavid

Even guys like Mackinnon/Stamkos/Seguin had average stats in their first year, or some like Draisaitl had pretty poor first season.

I do think these guys will be good, but 1 is probably going to be closer to a RNH level player, and one could be a Hall level player. Not every #1 pick turns into a stud

I'll take it if its rookie RNH and 2017-18 Hall.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I'm not concerned this year with Kakko. Production isn't there, but his overall game is a complete 180 from last season. He's great on the boards. He's forechecking, back-checking, and creating a lot of turnovers. If Kakko can take this 2-way game and bring production in the O-zone next season, I'll be quite happy. If we're not seeing any production next season, yeah, i'll be concerned.

This is our current coaching strategy. When things are going right, put Blackwell in the top 6, when something goes wrong, bump him down and start rotating a winger on the Panarin-Strome line. As soon as any momentum is gained, push Blackwell back into that top 6 spot. The second unit gets anywhere from 15-30 seconds of PP time, and most of that is spent trying to enter the zone. It's hard to gain any confidence when you don't even touch the puck.

With Lafreniere, you can see the talent when the puck is on his stick, but he's forcing passes trying to make plays that aren't there. Awareness needs to be better in his own end when they take the puck away and he attempt breaking out. And the skating.... just wow. Lafreniere takes the first few strides like he has clown feet. There needs to be a big improvement in that area and that should help him not be a step behind the play.

I also don't see Chytil lasting as a center in the NHL. When and if he's traded, I see him being pushed on the wing.

You are saying Kakko has shown potential? I was told Hughes had showed 100x more so it can't be much Kakko has shown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad