Development of Kakko and Laf

Would you be feeling

• Total voters

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
If your team had drafted Kakko and Laf and this is where they were in years two and one (respectively), would you be excited/happy about their current state of development? How would you be feeling about their current state of development?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I think kakko should have started in the AHL

laf had nothing left to prove but could only play in the NHL or the Q so I don’t blame them

but they’re both still so young nothing is definitive

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
Lafreniere will be fine and so will Kakko

I didnt have Kakko #2 originally though so I was never expecting him to be a top-3 winger. I see a top-9 winger floor though.

Lafreniere I think is a top line winger

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
NYR are weird, when acquiring talent from other teams, those players are fantastic.
But when developing their own (more specifically their 1st rounders) it hasn’t been very good.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
NYR are weird, when acquiring talent from other teams, those players are fantastic.
But when developing their own (more specifically their 1st rounders) it hasn’t been very good.
Did Trouba suddenly get better recently and worth the contract he signed?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It’s hard to evaluate them compared with other top picks because the Rangers are absolutely stacked on the wing and neither player has received huge amounts of ice time. I think both have been good this season and the Rangers have nothing to worry about.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nah, that's just Panarin.

Other than him the Rangers pretty much hurt offense across the board. They're more concerned with defense and other assorted things and stuff I guess.

These two will be good players but it's going to take a bit before we see big numbers.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I won’t argue because I don’t watch the Rags, but Puljujarvi is an absolute beast right now. He’s big strong, defensively responsible and growing his offensive game

That’s the same as Kakko. Kakko’s been good this season.

I don’t call Puljujarvi a bust either. I hope he can help Edmonton.

Reactions: GreeningOil

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Laf is going to be a great player. Not too sure about Kakkoo. He seems kinda overrated, he will be good but not 2nd overall good. Similar to 2017. Heicher will be good but not 1st overall pick good.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would be concerned but not in panic mode if they were on the Wings. Still lots of time but they don’t look like what you want from a #1 and #2 pick.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Stats are poor. Advanced stats aren’t bad and their TOI is low. Seems like they could make a pretty big leap from a strong offseason and a bump up the depth chart.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Can’t really be disappointed in Lafreniere given the unique circumstances surrounding his draft lead up and follow up season. Also keep in mind how hard it is to produce right away in the NHL as an 18/19 year old.
I can see how some Ranger fans may be disappointed with Kaako but again he’s still very young, a lot of star players took a couple years before they got to that point.

Be patient Lafreniere will still be a stud. Kakko should still become a top 6 winger as well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Laf will be fine. I’m not nearly as high on Kakko.
He will never live up to his draft pick imo but could still become a top 6 guy in time.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The only thing really pissing me off about their development is their lack of PP time.

Laf's got 60 minutes of PP time this season with an amazing 0 points and 1 shot on goal. Why should they play him more?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Laf's got 60 minutes of PP time this season with an amazing 0 points and 1 shot on goal. Why should they play him more?

So we are judging him based on how he does on the second unit that takes 30 seconds of mop up time?

Points on the power play
Chytil - 0
Kakko - 1
Trouba - 1
Miller -1

Buch has 7 but guessing those are mainly from time on the first unit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
By this time for Edmonton, they called Puljujarvi a bust. I don’t see how Kakko is any different. Definitely not a bust... yet
If you told a Ranger fan that by 22 (a couple weeks till 23) they'd be a 0.4 ppg player they should be very concerned.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I've seen him play quite a bit, he brings a lot more to a game than stats. If I'm the Rangers, I'm not in the least concerned about him yet
if he hasn't elevated his game in the next couple years though, then it's time to start worrying

This is in reference to Kakko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad