Development of ice hockey in exotic places

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
In my last 2 hometowns in southern Italy and South Africa, sadly nobody knows about hockey it's all soccer and rugby, iknow Cape Town has a nice ice hockey rink and a league going on there, but nothing near me.

I went to the ice rink in Cape Town back in 2011. With such a massive population of wealthy European-descended individuals, I'm shocked that hockey isn't bigger in South Africa (or Namibia for that matter). I know it's all about the Springboks, Bafana Bafana and the Proteas, but the ice hockey team should be better than it is. I guess the climate doesn't allow for it. Heck, they were even hosting the WC div III just around the time I visited, so there must be some casual interest amongst people.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
I went to the ice rink in Cape Town back in 2011. With such a massive population of wealthy European-descended individuals, I'm shocked that hockey isn't bigger in South Africa (or Namibia for that matter). I know it's all about the Springboks, Bafana Bafana and the Proteas, but the ice hockey team should be better than it is. I guess the climate doesn't allow for it. Heck, they were even hosting the WC div III just around the time I visited, so there must be some casual interest amongst people.

I think alot has to do with their location, they can only get better by playing against themselves and the playing yearly world championships, many euro teams and even some asian teams can just travel a few hundred miles to another country to play a tournament etc..

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Read the Tropic of Hockey by Dave Bidini.

Hockey continues to develop in the UAE. Sadly like many other countries it takes a back seat to other sports, specifically football.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
ice hockey is a spectacular sport.

Of course quality games make it also atractive.

I witnessed a training of a team at the "vilaggio" in Doha, Qatar !! Awesome.

A comment to add is that at 5cts or 10 cts the litter of oil (current price at the tank station), having a ice hockey arena makes more sense than in countries where you pay 1 or 2 dollars the litter of oil !!

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
ice hockey is a spectacular sport.

Of course quality games make it also atractive.

I witnessed a training of a team at the "vilaggio" in Doha, Qatar !! Awesome.

A comment to add is that at 5cts or 10 cts the litter of oil (current price at the tank station), having a ice hockey arena makes more sense than in countries where you pay 1 or 2 dollars the litter of oil !!

I dont think its that cheap. Probably near 30-40 cents per litre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad