Prospect Info: Development camp & Roster released

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I really liked what Dennis Robertson was doing without the puck. He seemed to track back well, and had an active stick. When he got the puck, however, he seemed to not know how to make the smart play, which can be ironed out, but overall, I liked the way he played.

Gauthier looked pretty good. Not much offense generated, but he took his big body to the net, tied up sticks in front, in an effort to allow shots to reach the net. He was as advertised; always being hard on the back check, and the very active stick. His defensive awareness is off the charts.

Rielly is a fun player to watch, but as some mentioned, as good as he is at slicing through a group of players, he does get a little cute at the blueline at times. He's a special player, who needs to iron out a few wrinkles, but we're lucky to have such a player.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He does indeed. Mike Künzle is a really big guy as well. Looks promising.

PS: Carter Verhaeghe is looking like a steal imo.

Kunzle is an invite though correct?

And man, the wheels on Rielly. As for Verhaeghe, he does look really promising. Gauthier looks a little lost out there, he's gonna need some time.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I really liked what Dennis Robertson was doing without the puck. He seemed to track back well, and had an active stick. When he got the puck, however, he seemed to not know how to make the smart play, which can be ironed out, but overall, I liked the way he played.

Gauthier looked pretty good. Not much offense generated, but he took his big body to the net, tied up sticks in front, in an effort to allow shots to reach the net. He was as advertised; always being hard on the back check, and the very active stick. His defensive awareness is off the charts.

Rielly is a fun player to watch, but as some mentioned, as good as he is at slicing through a group of players, he does get a little cute at the blueline at times. He's a special player, who needs to iron out a few wrinkles, but we're lucky to have such a player.

Agreed on Rielly, hope it will come as he develops, but we have a young Center that is prone to that as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I personally really liked Knodel. Very noticeable and seems like he's coming along really well.

I didn't like R. Ruperts effort on some plays. Seemed like he was floating on some plays and not really trying hard to get the loose pucks. He had a couple nice hits though, but if there was one guy that caught my eye in a bad way, it was him.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I personally really liked Knodel. Very noticeable and seems like he's coming along really well.

I didn't like R. Ruperts effort on some plays. Seemed like he was floating on some plays and not really trying hard to get the loose pucks. He had a couple nice hits though, but if there was one guy that caught my eye in a bad way, it was him.

I find it kind of hard to judge some prospects in these tourneys that are known for tough play... Broll was an exception because he clearly did not give a frank.

But a lot of them know who they are playing against and the fact that its a crucial training time, and no one wants to hurt somebody. It works against them because they ease off as a result.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I find it kind of hard to judge some prospects in these tourneys that are known for tough play... Broll was an exception because he clearly did not give a frank.

But a lot of them know who they are playing against and the fact that its a crucial training time, and no one wants to hurt somebody. It works against them because they ease off as a result.

Oh I'm not being overly critical, just thought he caught my eye on some bad plays, when I checked the number, his name came up more than a few times.

There's a variety of reasons why some do great or poor or anything in between.

Olden looked great in the prospect camps and scrimmages. Didn't really turn into much. So it's not the best tool to evaluate prospects as a whole.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It would be great if Broll destroyed Rielly!

Right?

Catch 22.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Oh I'm not being overly critical, just thought he caught my eye on some bad plays, when I checked the number, his name came up more than a few times.

There's a variety of reasons why some do great or poor or anything in between.

Olden looked great in the prospect camps and scrimmages. Didn't really turn into much. So it's not the best tool to evaluate prospects as a whole.

Very true. He prospered in the lessened intensity. I still like him as a player, but he is just not long for NA.

It would be great if Broll destroyed Rielly!

Right?

Catch 22.

Not sure what you are getting at, I wasnt advocating Broll... He injured Finn and thats not a good thing. He looked impressive but IMO he was playing quite a bit harder than several other prospects.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure what you are getting at, I wasnt advocating Broll... He injured Finn and thats not a good thing. He looked impressive but IMO he was playing quite a bit harder than several other prospects.

It is tough for these kids wanting to impress and if their game is banging do you go for it when you could be taking out some other kid?

I don't think it is fair to say some players are off limits but others are fair game. Honestly, some of them already have guaranteed contracts and signing bonuses while others could be playing for their meal money.

Sudsy62

Jan 11, 2011
Very true. He prospered in the lessened intensity. I still like him as a player, but he is just not long for NA.

Broll did not leave anything out on the ice. He was playing hard. Not sure if he was told that he did not need to fight as everyone knows he can do that.

I saw a number of younger prospects that looked very impressive. Every year there is a new crop feeding the system....a few surprises for sure that would have caught management's eye. There were some very good 94's and 95"s that caught my eye. Obviously verhaeghe was one. Goumas was another. Johnson (#95) has nice hands. great skill.

As for the physicality out there, I saw lots. the game is so much faster than junior at that level and that creates less of an opportunity to make the number of hits people are looking for. Lemmon made a number of big hits against some big bodies. The chances were there and in a camp, you leave nothing on the bench. This is an opportunity to shine in front of the people that count.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I haven't seen much of him, but I didn't miss him. I just don't put much stock in good-but-not great USHL players, especially ones without standout speed or size.

Top-10 scorer in the USHL while being a two-way player. He has a good frame and is a solid skater. Invited to the USA jr camp. Obviously we'll really know where he's at next season but there's a ton of promise in him.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Aside from Broll and to a lesser extent Leivo, it doesn’t seem like the leafs have many prospects that want to grab the bull by the horns and make it happen. Seemed like a very timid showing by our core prospects.

Obviously I need to temper expectations as it is the middle of the summer.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

I agree, here. Having seen quite a bit of Knodel's play, the last year, he's really coming along. He has some work to do on lateral mobility, and shutting down on-coming forwards, but he's got pretty good gap control, and he's a smart kid.

Some work with Underhill will do him good. He's added quite a bit of strength, and will benefit from playing an important role as a JR for UNH this year. The redshirt season really helped him build on his frame, and grow into his body.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Leafs invite Ice Dogs forward Mack Lemmon to Prospect Camp

Leafs invite Ice Dogs forward Mack Lemmon to Prospect Camp

From July 9-to-12, the Toronto Maple Leafs hosted their annual prospect camp, inviting 34 highly regarded young players to take part in a variety of drills, skates, scrimmages and off-ice workouts.

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1731-leafs-invite-ice-dogs-forward-mack-lemmon-to-prospect-camp

mark%20lemmon%202.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad