Prospect Info: Development Camp July 7-12 - Washington Capitals

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
There actually are rules on who can attend. I dont recall them but they were posted when Darren Helm attended last year for Detroit. It is in the CBA

Participation in Conditioning Camps will be limited to the following:
(i) Unsigned Draft Choices;
(ii) Any Player in the Entry Level System with less than 120 NHL Games
played (but who did not play in excess of 70 NHL Games in the preceding
Regular Season);
(iii) Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agents;
(iv) Players who were eligible for selection in the preceding Entry Draft but
were undrafted; and
(v) Any Player who is not in the Entry Level System, who finished the
preceding season disabled, and who submits a written request to the Club,
with a copy to the NHL and the NHLPA, to participate in his Club's
Conditioning Camp.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Participation in Conditioning Camps will be limited to the following:
(i) Unsigned Draft Choices;
(ii) Any Player in the Entry Level System with less than 120 NHL Games
played (but who did not play in excess of 70 NHL Games in the preceding
Regular Season);
(iii) Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agents;
(iv) Players who were eligible for selection in the preceding Entry Draft but
were undrafted; and
(v) Any Player who is not in the Entry Level System, who finished the
preceding season disabled, and who submits a written request to the Club,
with a copy to the NHL and the NHLPA, to participate in his Club's
Conditioning Camp.

Thanks, no joke was just coming back to correct my mistake. I just remembered they published these rules. Apologize for the incorrect information before and went to copy this from the CBA. I should have just come here to see someone already corrected this. Thank you.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I think he's almost retired.

I am not expecting anything, just noting it was mistake when I said they were all attending, as of right now, I don't have information that they released his rights. If that changes and we have information indicating they did, then great.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
- Did not see any (unsigned Caps hold their rights) prospects missing from the roster (yeah,, not talking about older Russian players)

For Reference:
Peter Guggisberg, RW, 2004 6-166, Kloten/NLA
Igor Ignatushkin, LW, 2002 8-242, Sochi/KHL
Ivan Nepryayev, C, 2000 5-1563, CSKA Moskva/KHL
Maxim Orlov, C, 1999 8-219, Arystan Temirtau/KVL (Kazakhstan Vyschaya Liga)
Igor Shadilov, D, 1999 9-249, Retired in 2012 (last: Dynamo Moskva/KHL)
Michal Yunkov, C, 2004 2-62, Magnitogorsk/KHL
Sergei Zimakov, D, 1996 3-58, Retired in 2009 (last: MHK Krylia Sovetov/VHL)

For the record, Kostenko tried out for Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL) this year but he was cut.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
I think he's almost retired.
Na

http://sport-42.ru/news/detail/16887/
MAY 15:
Sergei Kostenko looking for a new team
Tournier "Metallurg", which offered to fight for a place in the Forge, but he did not make plans to start playing at a professional level in other Russian cities.

Goalkeeper born in 1992, which in Novokuznetsk high hopes, in season 2013/14 at the professional level has not spent a single match, having to play except for that student "Metallurg". However, Sergei Kostenko not lose a chance to start playing at a professional level. The goalkeeper, who in the season 12/13 played in North America in the "Washington" can go on view in Orsk team "Southern Urals."

In the season 13/14 Kostenko had already been on view at the club VHL - "Lipetsk", but then the transition did not take place for some reason, although in Lipetsk Sergei were concerned.

Apr 28:

Sergei Kostenko where he plays?
Silver medalist at the World Youth Championship 2012 continues to be full without match practice.

21-year-old pupil "Metallurg" goalkeeper Sergei Kostenko, in season 2012/13 he played in North America in the "Washington," this season and has not held a single match for any of the professional hockey clubs. Kostenko could pursue a career in "Lipetsk" in the VHL, but to sign a contract with this club Sergei failed.

As a result, Kostenko season 2013/14 completed in the Student Hockey League consisting of Novokuznetsk "Metallurg" and won the silver medal in the division of this tournament, "Sibir".

Nov 22 2013

MOSCOW, November 22 - R-Sport, Simon Galkevich. Goalkeeper Sergei Kostenko Wednesday is on view in Novokuznetsk "Metallurg" in the near future with him a contract can be signed, said the agency "F-Sport" hockey club sports director Alexander Whales .
Kostenko - pupil Novokuznetsk club from 2009 to 2012 played for the "Bears". Previous season silver medalist of the World Youth Championship 2012 held in the clubs of the East Coast Hockey League "Reading Royals" and "Ontario Rhine."
Kostenko two days engaged in Novokuznetsk, with the" Bears "- said in a telephone conversation Whales. - We will see what he can do as he makes - all in his hands. Contract with the first team? Anything is possible

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Ok, I am posting more about the rules, because when I remembered they existed, I recalled there being a limit to number of times they could be required (can attend more) to attend and I didn't see it posted above. Number is three.

(d) No Player shall be required to participate in more than three (3) Conditioning
Camps in total for any one (1) Club (but may opt to do so in his sole discretion).

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
So, IF the Capitals stick with the approach of wanting two full squads, the last few years the roster has been around:

24 forwards: so far 14 on Capitals roster plus 5 more identified (missing around 5?)

16 defensemen: so far 7 on Capitals roster plus 2 more identified (missing about half?)

4 goalies: so far 2 on Capitals roster plus 1 more identified (missing 1?; was wondering if they might invite Guindon again, but I have not seen any info.) Of note, in a Vrana interview earlier this week, it was mentioned that Brandon Anderson was at Kettler. Also, Miami U goalie Jay Williams is a local prospect.

Note (edit): Some years we have come close to identifying all the FA invites in advance of camp, but there are always some that are only identified once the prospects take the ice on Monday. I think the closest we came was within 2 or 3. No harm in that, just waiting for information to become available and when it does, the roster will be updated.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was intrigued by Caj last dcamp after running into another HFer that knew more about him than I. He is a big boy working the blue, and not afraid to drop the mits, something that I think tends to get guys jobs more than we know. But he is a long shot otherwise. More HF Opines here

I will likely visit Kettler randomly next week and will keep an eye on him and share anything of note.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was in Annapolis today and saw two ~18 year old guys about 5'10, shorts tshirts hockey player cheese ball flip flops and baseball hats.... one a capitals hat, doing tourist things. I can pick off hockey players a mile away. I will tell you their names next week. One had a red beard.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would have asked who they were.

I figured I would see them at Kettler this week and find out myself. They will be unmistakable.

Had I asked them, they may well have lied, and made me look the fool. I have approached prospects before without regrets including Alzner and Kurgryshev at Kettler.

I asked Alzner one time if he had bulked up for his first season with us, and I was stunned when he told me that he actually lost weight. I realize he may well have lied, something I would likely to do a crazed fan asking a personal question.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Guess we have another invite identified thanks to Spinner:

"Great first night in D.C with @shane_gersich9 @Jimschuldt21

Jimmy Schuldt, D, Omaha/USHL, team bio, committed to St Cloud State U

Guess it's possible he just came along for fun, but assume he's an invite :)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
TPHCan: "TPH coaches Dwayne and Scott are off to Washington to work on ice with @washcaps coaches and prospects. #CapsDevCamp #tphfamily"

Total Package Hockey

"Total Package Hockey (TPH) is a professional hockey development group that works with hockey players of all ages, skill level and ability. From first time skaters to NHL players TPH offers programs that suit all players' needs. TPH has established itself as an elite outfit with professional staff, innovative curriculum and modernized teaching techniques to assist players in their development in their pursuit of achieving their goals in hockey"

Note: Official Hockey Development Centre of the London Knights

Dwayne Blais: TPH bio & arecent Q&A

"Dwayne had the opportunity to work along side Martin Gelinas in 2010 and 2011 as the Power Skating/Skills Coach for the Nashville Predators Prospect Camp"

(so a Nashville connection, as well as London connection)

Scott Jones

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
hey guys, could you give me some twitter accounts covering the camp? thanks

There are several people who post here who will take in parts of camp and post updates and observations here, and some on twitter, as well. FYI, my twitter is same as screen name here, but typically post here more than tweeting when I make it to camp. Will tweet from time to time if I am there and see something worth tweeting.

Beat writers & other media coverage:
@Alex_Prewitt (Washington Post)
@AdamVingan (NHL.com Washington correspondent; NBCWash; Capitals beat reporter WashPostExp)
@bmcnally14 (Washington Times)
@BenRaby31 (Radio - WTOP, etc.)
@ChuckGormleyCSN CSNWashington)

Washington Capitals:
@CapitalsPR
@WashCaps
@VogsCaps
@WaltonCaps
(not sure how much @mitchkorncaps, goalie coach, will be tweeting from camp)

Blogs & Fan Coverage:
@JapersRink
@RussianMachine

Typically some fan photographers will post photos. Other blog coverage varies year to year so will see who starts posting updates with meaningful coverage when on-ice camp opens tomorrow. Note, Japersrink.com does a daily set of links to Caps coverage and is a good source of identifying additional coverage as the week progresses. Also, I maintain a fanpost over there with a lot of the same information posted here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad