Development Camp Invites

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Adam Samuelsson and Pavel Gogolev are 2 guys I was surprised didn’t get drafted.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Adam Samuelsson and Pavel Gogolev are 2 guys I was surprised didn’t get drafted.
I've heard a lot about Adam Samuelsson lacking upside. He's a monster though, isn't he? I could see them getting camp invites easily.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Crazy how many players I like went undrafted, get on it ken

Holland really can't do anything at this point. It would be nice for him to be able to sign someone he really likes, but they all just re-enter the draft next year. I'm still in shock that Gogolev didn't get picked. We should have grabbed him in the 7th, or taken him with the 6th that we traded to Columbus.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland really can't do anything at this point. It would be nice for him to be able to sign someone he really likes, but they all just re-enter the draft next year. I'm still in shock that Gogolev didn't get picked. We should have grabbed him in the 7th, or taken him with the 6th that we traded to Columbus.

What do you mean Holland can't do anything? He could sign anybody who passed the draft. Just like they did with Fulcher after last draft. Or with Hicketts at 2014, or with Lashoff at 2008.

But teams are almost always against the contract limits, and that plays a factor, why they are not signing "everybody".

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Well, there should be a bunch of good overagers next draft

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I didn't believe an undrafted player could be signed unless he was 20 yrs old or has gone undrafted in two drafts.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What do you mean Holland can't do anything? He could sign anybody who passed the draft. Just like they did with Fulcher after last draft. Or with Hicketts at 2014, or with Lashoff at 2008.

But teams are almost always against the contract limits, and that plays a factor, why they are not signing "everybody".

No, he can't.

For North American players you become an undrafted free agent after your third year of being draft eligible. If you pass through three drafts without being taken, you are a Free Agent.

Edit: He can. I didn't know the official rule. H can sign them before a certain date.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No, he can't.

For North American players you become an undrafted free agent after your third year of being draft eligible. If you pass through three drafts without being taken, you are a Free Agent.

If that's true, how did we sign Fulcher? He is a late '98, so he would have only gone through 1 draft prior to us signing him.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If that's true, how did we sign Fulcher? He is a late '98, so he would have only gone through 1 draft prior to us signing him.

Good point.

"All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible."

That's from the CBA, so something doesn't add up here. Maybe goalies have a special rule or something? I guess if you really like a prospect who has been passed over, you can sign him instead of gambling to get him at the draft. All relative to if they are younger than 20 before Dec.31st of the draft year. Based on this, "most" players can be signed after being passed over twice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good point.

"All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible."

That's from the CBA, so something doesn't add up here.

Yeah, I was only asking because I've never understood this myself. Maybe @mouser knows the answer.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, I was only asking because I've never understood this myself. Maybe @mouser knows the answer.

Hockey Operations Guidelines

Entry Draft Eligibility
All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-do-teams-get-rights-to-undrafted-players.2053937/

Alright so I finally figured it out. Henkka is correct, we can sign undrafted camp invites, but have to do so prior to a certain date. This above thread does a good job explaining how it works.

Moral of the story, if you really like a player and you invite him to your camp, you can offer him a contract in order to gain his rights. I think we may/should do this with Gogolev.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Good point.

That's from the CBA, so something doesn't add up here. Maybe goalies have a special rule or something? I guess if you really like a prospect who has been passed over, you can sign him instead of gambling to get him at the draft. All relative to if they are younger than 20 before Dec.31st of the draft year. Based on this, "most" players can be signed after being passed over twice.

There is a window following the draft where teams can sign players who were passed over in the draft but could still be eligible for future drafts. The rules for this are in CBA 8.9(b) Eligibility for Play in the League.

Age 18/19 North American Players: Can sign between the conclusion of the Draft and start of the Major Juniors season. Deadline can be extended to start of the NHL regular season if the player signs an NHL try-out form.

Age 20+ North American Players: Can sign between conclusion of the Draft and start of the NHL regular season.

Age 22+ European Players: Can sign between the conclusion of the Draft and start of the NHL regular season.

Hockey Operations Guidelines

Entry Draft Eligibility
All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

This is a really old version btw, since it includes the age 18 opt-in rule that was dropped in 2005.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
There is a window following the draft where teams can sign players who were passed over in the draft but could still be eligible for future drafts. The rules for this are in CBA 8.9(b) Eligibility for Play in the League.

Age 18/19 North American Players: Can sign between the conclusion of the Draft and start of the Major Juniors season. Deadline can be extended to start of the NHL regular season if the player signs an NHL try-out form.

Age 20+ North American Players: Can sign between conclusion of the Draft and start of the NHL regular season.

Age 22+ European Players: Can sign between the conclusion of the Draft and start of the NHL regular season.

This is a really old version btw, since it includes the age 18 opt-in rule that was dropped in 2005.

One question. When it says "European players" I assume this means players competing in European leagues, and not European born players competing in North America?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
One question. When it says "European players" I assume this means players competing in European leagues, and not European born players competing in North America?

Yup, it goes by where the player was playing at the time of the draft, not where they were born. With the exception that players competing on North American teams while on loan from a European club are treated as "European players" in the CBA rules.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I didn't realize we had invited Pavel Gogolev to our camp. He was my favorite player that went undrafted this year, so that's cool.

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad