News Article: Devcore is willing

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've done minor contracting out in my distant past so I know that Devcore meeting the basic requirements in their initial presentation is only a first step to being considered and having their proposal assessed. For all we know there could have been a number of proposals that were immediately rejected in stage one of the review process for failing those requirements.

Maybe I'm off but essentially at stage 2 it looks to me like the proponents clauses seem to be referring to who they are choosing to enter into negotiations with after studying all proposals who made it this far. It could be true that Devcore finished 2nd in ranking but to conclude that they have next negotiation rights would imply that they have been on the hook all this time to stay as a fall back. Neither makes much sense.
We also don't know about time components. I can't see the Gov't tying themselves down forever to someone who could have easily walked away without any constraints.

Not a legal expert by far but imo the NCC holds the cards and can decide which way to proceed. However in spite of the public feud they still have to justify cancelling the Rendez-Vous deal unless they have been so advised by the group that they can't meet their obligations. I'm not 100% sure that the "hold" on them by that group is completely gone.

I've done a lot of contracting work with the feds and the issue may not so much be 13.2, it might be not fully liking what was a compliant bid but not having the flexibility to make adjustments which may result in the need to re-tender. how far can you push the envelope on rejigging the Devcore bid without running in to legal challenges? idk the answer to that but I suspect it is the issue the legal beagles are grappling with

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I've done a lot of contracting work with the feds and the issue may not so much be 13.2, it might be not fully liking what was a compliant bid but not having the flexibility to make adjustments which may result in the need to re-tender. how far can you push the envelope on rejigging the Devcore bid without running in to legal challenges? idk the answer to that but I suspect it is the issue the legal beagles are grappling with

The easiest and most compliant is what Devcore is saying : "we will carry on with the RVL plans with some tweaks" kind of thing. The NCC wouldn't be able to escape that so easily.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Yeah I saw 2 possible traps in entering negotiations with party #2.

1) I don't know how detailed the NCC was in highlighting their failings so how much tweaking they could actually ask for with the Devcore before they balk and legally forces the NCC to stick close to their original presentation.
2). There is also the danger that it could change the original tender requirements and outsiders (bidders and non-bidders alike) could sue.

I also wonder if the Devcore group as it stands today is the complete group or just a subset. That could invalidate their ranking if it was a part of the NCC evaluation.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The easiest and most compliant is what Devcore is saying : "we will carry on with the RVL plans with some tweaks" kind of thing. The NCC wouldn't be able to escape that so easily.

It has nothing to do with escaping.

Do you really want to saddle the NCC with the mandate of only being able to negotiate with Devcore? That is a sure way to lose leverage and get taken to the cleaners. Nobody in the country should want that, even less so for Ottawa citizens who should want the best deal, not the fastest one.

That is very likely why they went with a preferred bid: to avoid the scenario where option 1 fails and then they have to go with option 2 while those pushing for option 2 know the NCC has, essentially, no other recourse than to go with what they say.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
There seems to be an opinion (dream) shared by many that if Devecore is awarded Lebreton, then they will build an arena that will host the Sens. There’s no guarantee that the dots will connect, especially if a deal can’t be reached with CSMI. The possibility exists that Lebreton gets developed without an arena.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

But wouldn't that mean CMSI would have to be brought in??

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It has nothing to do with escaping.

Do you really want to saddle the NCC with the mandate of only being able to negotiate with Devcore? That is a sure way to lose leverage and get taken to the cleaners. Nobody in the country should want that, even less so for Ottawa citizens who should want the best deal, not the fastest one.

That is very likely why they went with a preferred bid: to avoid the scenario where option 1 fails and then they have to go with option 2 while those pushing for option 2 know the NCC has, essentially, no other recourse than to go with what they say.

From what I understood, the way the RFP was structured, there was always the potential a deal can't be done with the selected proponent and they can opt out. Moving on to Devcore would be no different than what we just saw with Rendezvous, the NCC can negotiate with the new proponent and attempt to come to terms.

I mean, using the same logic you are using for the rationale of not selecting the "preferred bid option", by going the route they did, they were stuck with no other option or recourse than to go with what Rendezvous said.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There seems to be an opinion (dream) shared by many that if Devecore is awarded Lebreton, then they will build an arena that will host the Sens. There’s no guarantee that the dots will connect, especially if a deal can’t be reached with CSMI. The possibility exists that Lebreton gets developed without an arena.

If the Sens can't/won't play at Lebreton then the only reason I had for supporting a Lansdowne 2.0 is gone.

I already hate what they did with Lansdowne but I could stomach the thought of another depressing, typically North American, sterile development plan for the Sens. Now? I wish they'd go full public space with the Flats.

I understand that wishing for this town to opt for the character option is a waste but still... Without dreams, is life worth living?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From what I understood, the way the RFP was structured, there was always the potential a deal can't be done with the selected proponent and they can opt out. Moving on to Devcore would be no different than what we just saw with Rendezvous, the NCC can negotiate with the new proponent and attempt to come to terms.

I mean, using the same logic you are using for the rationale of not selecting the "preferred bid option", by going the route they did, they were stuck with no other option or recourse than to go with what Rendezvous said.

Well everybody seemed to be under the impression (myself included) that Devcore was the fallback option.

If I'm right, the NCC will have played the situation as best they could.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Reactions: Silencio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad