Devante Smith-Pelly

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
He's pretty raw, he came on a ton in his draft year to even go where he did in the OHL Priority Selection last year. Either way, he needs to fill out but he's definitely got some potential.

He's pretty quick, he competes hard and he has a bit of grit to his game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He seems to be heating up as of late just like his last year in AAA he ends the year hot anbd last night in the playoffs he was named second star of the game with a goal and an assist. Could be a draft day riser or a sleeper pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Could be a draft day riser or a sleeper pick.

He's not eligible until 2010. By then I'd expect him to be considered more than a riser or sleeper.

Smith-Pelly has been one of the most impressive 1992's that I've seen this season. The thing that sticks out about Smith-Pelly is his competitive nature, and the energy he brings to the ice. Quite often with 1992's, you'll find that if they aren't producing offensively, they generally aren't involved in the play. But Smith-Pelly is a rarity in that he's noticeable even when he's not hitting the score sheet. He's got great speed, in particular a quick first step. He uses this speed to forecheck hard, and he works the cycle and the boards quite well for a 92. That shows solid conditioning. I think that next season he'll take on a larger role offensively and begin to hit the score sheet with more authority and likely cement himself as a possible top 60 draft selection.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He does make himself noticeable in the games. Size will probably hold him back at some point, but at least you like to see the competitiveness in his game. I think he'll be a 1st-line player in the OHL at some point, and he's got some talented young guys on his team that could form some interesting combinations for the next few years. A growth spurt would make him a *really* intriguing draft prospect, but he's still got enough zip and talent to get drafted no matter what. Then you cheer for a kid like that who will give it his all to make it even if the growth spurt never comes.

I don't know how many sub-6' forwards one team can get away with, but I'm looking forward to what Cizikas, Smith-Pelley, Mayer and some of the others on Mississauga can accomplish in the next couple of years in the OHL anyway.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He does make himself noticeable in the games. Size will probably hold him back at some point, but at least you like to see the competitiveness in his game. I think he'll be a 1st-line player in the OHL at some point, and he's got some talented young guys on his team that could form some interesting combinations for the next few years. A growth spurt would make him a *really* intriguing draft prospect, but he's still got enough zip and talent to get drafted no matter what. Then you cheer for a kid like that who will give it his all to make it even if the growth spurt never comes.

I don't know how many sub-6' forwards one team can get away with, but I'm looking forward to what Cizikas, Smith-Pelley, Mayer and some of the others on Mississauga can accomplish in the next couple of years in the OHL anyway.

He's not that undersized he's listed at 5'11 180 which isn't bad size for a 16 year old that's still growing.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
bump. I know he's out right now, but he's looked impressive so far this season.

he's still listed by the OHL as 5'11 180, but i suspect he's closer to around 185-190 now.

CSS didnt have him in the OHL top 25
he's 36th in OHL scoring right now.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
bump. I know he's out right now, but he's looked impressive so far this season.

he's still listed by the OHL as 5'11 180, but i suspect he's closer to around 185-190 now.

CSS didnt have him in the OHL top 25
he's 36th in OHL scoring right now.

Was listed at 214lbs somewhere at the same height.I seriously doubt he would gain to 34 lbs in less than a year and close to 50 since his OHL draft year. What youy said at 185-190 seems reasonable but he looks to be approching 200lbs to me.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I think he will win the roster spot of the third line RW out of training camp. He adds size and grit to that line

McMillan-Cogliano-DSP

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
yea that is what i think the ducks should go with as the 3rd line this year (as long as he shows he ready at camp and his 9 games or so) and i expect him to play a more physical game and maybe score 10-15 goals along the way

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
do you duck fans really think he's that rdy for the NHL?

as a majors fan we desperately need him back to be competitive

heres hoping he plays his 8 or 9 games then comes back to mississauga and competes for a spot on canada

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

heres hoping he plays his 8 or 9 games then comes back to mississauga and competes for a spot on canada

I think that's a question you could answer better than we could.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com

He had a good camp last year and rookie camp this year. The Ducks only added one significant forward this year and outside of Palmieri I think he has the inside track on all their AHL guys clearly.

He will have every opportunity to make the team but it could go either way. I think the most likely scenario is that he gets an eight-game tryout and maybe some time as a black ace and then they make the call

The Fuhr*

Reminds me a ton of Cal Clutterbuck
I think he will be a guy who plays good defense, scores 20-25 goals a year and hits, hits and hits to the tune of 200+ a season.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Visiting my folks in Edmonton and decided to check out the Canadian World Junior Team Camp at Rexall Place early this evening...

And he's one of the guys who REALLY impressed me. He's listed on the camp roster as 6 ft, 207 lbs. And he plays bigger than that, believe it or not. He probably had the hit of the scrimmage when he came cruising in on the forecheck and absolutely clobbered Dallas' first round pick (14 overall) this year, Jamie Oleksiak, who is an absolute MONSTER at 6'7, 244. Knocked him right on his ass and DSP made it look easy, like he just knocked down a 5'10, 160 lb kid or something.

Was really good on the forecheck, probably the best of the entire 'team white' which included Jaden Schwartz, Nugent-Hopkins, Quinton Howden, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Matthew Puempel, among other notable first and second round picks. Easily the most physical too. He and Phillip Danault were just all over the ice wreaking havoc, pressuring D, forcing turnovers. I could see them as part of an energy line on this year's Canadian WJ team. Very solid skater too.

Edit: I see the poster 'The Fuhr' above me just posted that he plays like Cal Clutterbuck and I think that's a fantastic comparison. I'd say he played a game VERY similar. Not so different from Joel Ward, as another poster suggested, either...or Grier, come to think of it (skin colour aside...all three are physical, forechecking presences). Should he make the NHL, I think his ceiling would be a player like Brendan Morrow, his floor something more like Eric Nystrom. But a reasonable expectation would be some kind of hybrid between Joel Ward, Mike Grier, Cal Clutterbuck and/or Maxim Lapierre.

Looks like a very promising prospect based on my very limited view.

Last edited:

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I hate when players of a certain ethnicity, nationality or size are automatically compared with another guy of that same group but the Ward comparison isn't terrible the Grier one is actually pretty good.

Lots of non-black players that apply, too. I'd say he is more Grierr than Clutterbuck. Who calculates Clutterbuck's hits anyway? That score keeper must have him on his fantasy team.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Visiting my folks in Edmonton and decided to check out the Canadian World Junior Team Camp at Rexall Place early this evening...

And he's one of the guys who REALLY impressed me. He's listed on the camp roster as 6 ft, 207 lbs. And he plays bigger than that, believe it or not. He probably had the hit of the scrimmage when he came cruising in on the forecheck and absolutely clobbered Dallas' first round pick (14 overall) this year, Jamie Oleksiak, who is an absolute MONSTER at 6'7, 244. Knocked him right on his ass and DSP made it look easy, like he just knocked down a 5'10, 160 lb kid or something.

Was really good on the forecheck, probably the best of the entire 'team white' which included Jaden Schwartz, Nugent-Hopkins, Quinton Howden, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Matthew Puempel, among other notable first and second round picks. Easily the most physical too. He and Phillip Danault were just all over the ice wreaking havoc, pressuring D, forcing turnovers. I could see them as part of an energy line on this year's Canadian WJ team. Very solid skater too.

Edit: I see the poster 'The Fuhr' above me just posted that he plays like Cal Clutterbuck and I think that's a fantastic comparison. I'd say he played a game VERY similar. Not so different from Joel Ward, as another poster suggested, either...or Grier, come to think of it (skin colour aside...all three are physical, forechecking presences). Should he make the NHL, I think his ceiling would be a player like Brendan Morrow, his floor something more like Eric Nystrom. But a reasonable expectation would be some kind of hybrid between Joel Ward, Mike Grier, Cal Clutterbuck and/or Maxim Lapierre.

Looks like a very promising prospect based on my very limited view.

this is good

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love him as a player. He put Mississauga on his back and carried them in almost every single Miss game I saw this year. Such a unique talent, size, speed, heart, skill. Great player.

Ducks draft as good as anyone IMO.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I think that's a question you could answer better than we could.

ahaha your right i guess

as stated before DSP is a unique talent. He can finish around the net, has god hands, loves to play the physical game, learned how to play out of the "Dave Cameron" system and still produced good OHL numbers. Oh, off the ice the guy is cool calm and fun to be around. On the ice however he is a completly different and very competitive player

Ive been a Majors season ticket holder for 2 years now. Last year it was evident that he needed to improve his skating and defensive play. This year he has taken a huge jump and has fully rounded out his game but i feel he would be a guy who would benefit from another year of junior and potentially a spot on the WJC team

If he makes it he makes it which is disappointing as a Majors fan but good to see him progressing in his hockey career

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
some ducks fan think we should give him his tryout period of around 8 games so we can see how copes with NHL level of play then send him back to the Majors to develop some more and play Gordon in his place and then call him up next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad