Devante Smith-Pelly

AGMongoose

Sep 30, 2007
Hi Duck fans,
I was very curious about DSP. It seems like he took a nice step last year and probably will be on the team this year. What do you think is his ceiling? 2nd line scoring winger? 3rd line energy guy? With all the young forward talent that you guys have (btw, I am totally jealous!!) would he not get the opportunity to play in top 6? Thanks for any information.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pretty sure he will have a time on every single line (meaning with every single of the top 4 centers) for some time but at this point he`s in the bottom 6. I think he`ll end up averaging around 13-14 minutes.

Just my 2 cents

But i`m pretty sure this guy have a top 6 upside.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Hi Duck fans,
I was very curious about DSP. It seems like he took a nice step last year and probably will be on the team this year. What do you think is his ceiling? 2nd line scoring winger? 3rd line energy guy? With all the young forward talent that you guys have (btw, I am totally jealous!!) would he not get the opportunity to play in top 6? Thanks for any information.

One thing about having a bunch of similarly-talented prospects is that you can't really tell where they'll play. I'm sure he'll see ice time on every line until Boudreau figures something out. His ceiling is a top 6 winger, although I think he'll settle somewhere below that.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
His ceiling should be a gritty #2LW, who can put up 40-50 points a season. However, I assume he is best used in a #3LW role with some PK and PP time. He'd score "only" 30-40 points that way, proposedly, but he'd be perfect to shut down an opponent's scoring lines and could very well be our new Rob Niedermayer type player with some more hustle and grit.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I'm expecting a 2nd line complementary energy guy. Score enough to be low tier 2nd line, but contribute in other ways. But that's probably in a couple of years.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener with maybe a career year where he puts up Kunitz type numbers (pre Crosby Kunitz that is). In terms of impact I think he'll end up being similar to Kunitz - just a slightly lesser version that plays on the PK.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
A full season would do wonders for him. He really needs to learn what he can accomolish out there physically in whatever role he is given.

Id like him to play with Cogs on the 3rd line. Something about Cogliano's persistance rubbing off on DSP could really round out his game.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think his ceiling is a bigger pre-Crosby Kunitz.

If we hadn't signed Heatley I think most would have penciled him in on the top line going into training camp.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
3rd line energy guys seems appropriate. With a decent ice time and some PP I'd say that 20 goals 40+ points is quite possible.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
3rd line energy guys seems appropriate. With a decent ice time and some PP I'd say that 20 goals 40+ points is quite possible.

DSP is a bigger Holmstrom. He needs PP time to succeed using his big frame to be disruptive and he won't fight much. But like Holmstrom, he's not as good defensively and will have to continue to improve his skating. I think he can succeed as long as his compete level is as high as Holmstrom.

Funny how Etem and DSP remind me of Red Wing players. Etem is like Cleary with his skating and size. I think the ducks have a good future as long as both of these guys play with urgency.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Their skill sets are a bit different, but I think DSP can turn into a Ryan Callahan-like player. Good for maybe 40-45 points as a higher tier 3rd line RW/lower tier 2nd line RW.

Not too different from what other people are saying.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
PLease don't relate Etem to Clearly lol.

Cleary was a beast in his prime. 6'1" 210 two way player who had 3 20 goal seasons and had intelligent gamesmanship a la Draper, and a playoff performer.

If Etem can be as good as a competitor, his insane off ice work ethic, bigger size and speed should make him AT LEAST as good of a player. A guy who is like Cleary and never gives up with his 6'1 215 size and speed ratio will get his numbers.

I just made the comparison because of their size, 1st round pedigree, potential 2 way play, and because they were good scorers in juniors but they don't have natural finishing abilities. Etem will have some pretty goals because of his speed (not so much from his hands and creativity) but he needs to learn to pay the price to get more ugly ones like Cleary. I wish he could have more consistent bite like Kunitz.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Cleary was a beast in his prime. 6'1" 210 two way player who had 3 20 goal seasons and had intelligent gamesmanship a la Draper, and a playoff performer.

If Etem can be as good as a competitor, his insane off ice work ethic, bigger size and speed should make him AT LEAST as good of a player. A guy who is like Cleary and never gives up with his 6'1 215 size and speed ratio will get his numbers.

I just made the comparison because of their size, 1st round pedigree, potential 2 way play, and because they were good scorers in juniors but they don't have natural finishing abilities. Etem will have some pretty goals because of his speed (not so much from his hands and creativity) but he needs to learn to pay the price to get more ugly ones like Cleary. I wish he could have more consistent bite like Kunitz.

I actually like the Cleary comparison, although I think Etem is bigger, faster, and more talented. Cleary turned in to a much smarter player than Etem is right now, though. If Etem could develop a big picture of the game I think he could really be a special player. He hasn't shown that yet, even in the AHL, and it's why he never dominates.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
DSP is a bigger Holmstrom. He needs PP time to succeed using his big frame to be disruptive and he won't fight much. But like Holmstrom, he's not as good defensively and will have to continue to improve his skating. I think he can succeed as long as his compete level is as high as Holmstrom.

Funny how Etem and DSP remind me of Red Wing players. Etem is like Cleary with his skating and size. I think the ducks have a good future as long as both of these guys play with urgency.

DSP is a better skater than Holmstrom(who was one of the worst non-enforcer skaters you'll see in the NHL), but he hasn't shown he can be the same factor in front of the bet. Holmstrom made his living tipping pucks, and banging in rebounds. DSP might, eventually, be some one like that, but right now I don't really see it.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
DSP lost a couple fanboy points with me when he stood there and watched Cam get destroyed by Stoll from behind, then just skated off for a change. :shakehead

He's fighting for ice time with guys like Etem, Beleskey, Jackman, Maroon... Any one of those guys would have likely jumped Stoll (remember Etem's first NHL fight with that punk Roussel after he gave Palmieri a stick to the mouth?). I'm not sure DSP brings much more than any of those guys right now, but I do think he shows more upside than all of them outside of Etem. He skates better than Maroon and has better hands than Jackman (maybe Beleskey as well, though not the wild cannon of a shot Matty has). I think he surpasses all of them on the depth chart by season's end with the exception of Etem.

I agree with the majority: Future 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
DSP lost a couple fanboy points with me when he stood there and watched Cam get destroyed by Stoll from behind, then just skated off for a change. :shakehead

He's fighting for ice time with guys like Etem, Beleskey, Jackman, Maroon... Any one of those guys would have likely jumped Stoll (remember Etem's first NHL fight with that punk Roussel after he gave Palmieri a stick to the mouth?). I'm not sure DSP brings much more than any of those guys right now, but I do think he shows more upside than all of them outside of Etem. He skates better than Maroon and has better hands than Jackman (maybe Beleskey as well, though not the wild cannon of a shot Matty has). I think he surpasses all of them on the depth chart by season's end with the exception of Etem.

I agree with the majority: Future 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Yeah i`m cleary dissapointed by his lack of mean streak too. He should become ''not so nice''. Even Kyle Palmieri is meaner than Devo, anyone remembers Kyle going straight after Lashoff after that Teemu incident?

So there`s that but if Devo can improve his overall game, he could become a good winger for Kesler and Silfverberg, imo. Why i`d like this would be that Cogs could be ''moved down'' to bottom 6 to spread the offense and experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad