GDT: Detroit @ Toronto 7pm - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Think Blockbuster also had a chance to buyout Netflix and declined.

They did, and they did decline and now, last time I checked there were only a few locations left, and I'm not even sure if those locations are still around

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nylander Marner Matthews should always start on the OT please. Keefe putting Kampf out there only to be tossed from the faceoff again should be a pre-season tinker only. It doesn’t work.

Minten impressed with his forecheck speed, faceoffs and details of his game. He really could start in the NHL, but in all honesty, they should cook him a year in junior and the national program like Marner did. There is no rush for him.

Holmberg looks ready too.

Benoit is a liability out there. He’s a worse version of Holl. I see no “toughness” to his game. At least Holl was invisible tonight.

Sammy using Bertuzzi’s stick tape? I swear he was throwing his stick away on purpose to practice having to play without it. Overall he looked a little off.

Gio looked ok. Brodie is rusty. (Understandably)

Remember Domi’s game tonight. That will represent 50% of his body of work thIs year.

Bertuzzi getting a taste of the twine is a good thing. He needed something to jump start him.

Marner Nylander and Matthews look ready. While Tavares was very good early in preseason, he looked clunky last night.

It’s only pre-season though. Lots of fumbles, trips missed passes, failed clears. None of it matters right now.

The only thing to determine is will it be Lafferty Gregor, Holmberg or Minten as the 11th forward. If they are going 11/7.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I was at the game, One thing stands out is how good Willy is at coming up with the puck. He goes in between 3 opposing players and skates out with the puck on his stick. Overall I am happy with 34, 16, 88 and now 23 and 39 how they steal the puck. Domi looked lost last nite. I am not sure whether it was the line he was on, he was just always chasing the play. Oh and Holmberg looked very good too. In fact I got to say that Reeves is not completely useless too.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nylander Marner Matthews should always start on the OT please. Keefe putting Kampf out there only to be tossed from the faceoff again should be a pre-season tinker only. It doesn’t work.

Minten impressed with his forecheck speed, faceoffs and details of his game. He really could start in the NHL, but in all honesty, they should cook him a year in junior and the national program like Marner did. There is no rush for him.

Benoit is a liability out there. He’s a worse version of Holl. I see no “toughness” to his game. At least Holl was invisible tonight.

Sammy using Bertuzzi’s stick tape? I swear he was throwing his stick away on purpose to practice having to play without it. Overall he looked a little off.

Remember Domi’s game tonight. That will represent 50% of his body of work thIs year.

Bertuzzi getting a taste of the twine is a good thing. He needed something to jump start him.

Marner Nylander and Matthews look ready. While Tavares was very good early in preseason, he looked clunky last night.

It’s only pre-season though. Lots of fumbles, trips missed passes, failed clears. None of it matters right now.

The only thing to determine is will it be Lafferty Gregor, Holmberg or Minten as the 11th forward. If they are going 11/7.

Looked like Nylander and marner were a step above everyone out there without much effort. Nylander really needs to play with a couple with wheels. Tavares should be on a line with a couple gritty players who have decent hands, but don't fly like Nylander. At this point I don't think marner with Tavares is a good idea either.

Brodie concerns me with his processing now. Perhaps on a 5 man unit including Tavares at center.

Leafs really need some new blood on defense, limit minutes to Giordano and Brodie.

Minten? He's earned it but I could see him getting into 80% of the games, but are 12-15 minutes a game in the NHL better than 20 minutes a night in CHL? In some respects yes, he'd have to work harder in those 12-15 minutes, but in junior he'd get prime minutes doing everything, PP, PK, ES, whereas there just might not be enough minutes to go around in NHL. Don't know on this ... I think he's ready, but NHL does grind you down ...

I don't think Leafs are ready yet though. Going to take some games to figure out who works where.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Most people are motivated by money, this is why most people would move to the other side of their country for an extra 50k per year.

In your day people had pride and a country to be proud of, today they have neither of those
I had the opportunity to move to Redmond Washington some 38 years ago for nearly double my salary. And yes, family medical coverage came with the job.

For the sake of my family, I chose to continue my career here in Canada. I did not want to rip my family away from their extended family and friends.

You are right, back then I had pride in being Canadian and living in Canada.

What'a ya know, an HF Leafs fan overreacting over preseason? :eek3:
What'ya know, another Leaf fan that accepts mediocrity, and an overpaid core 4 that has no problem with losing.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From my playing and coaching days, all the teams I was with WANTED TO WIN, preseason or exhibition game or not. Most players, and athletes I know, were the same.

Most players today are only motivated by money I guess !!!
Yeah beer league guys always played to the death, pros not so much.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Marner looks to be in super elite mid season form and it seems to have rubbed off on Nylander.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

Agreed. That’s such galaxy brain shit. No point to starting your 4th line C in OT. It’s 5 minutes. Matthews, Marner and Reilly should start

Reactions: Burnie97

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I had the opportunity to move to Redmond Washington some 38 years ago for nearly double my salary. And yes, family medical coverage came with the job.

For the sake of my family, I chose to continue my career here in Canada. I did not want to rip my family away from their extended family and friends.

What'ya know, another Leaf fan that accepts mediocrity, and an overpaid core 4 that has no problem with losing.
How is not over-reacting accepting mediocrity?

People can enjoy the sport for what it is. A way to escape daily life and entertain yourself for a few hours.

For everyone complaining of the Leafs being entitled, they act the same way if the Leafs don't perform to their personal expectations.

Reactions: kb and 1specter

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Agreed. That’s such galaxy brain shit. No point to starting your 4th line C in OT. It’s 5 minutes. Matthews, Marner and Reilly should start

I don't see anything wrong with the strategy. start Kampf soon as we get control he changes for Matthews. 3on3 is such a possession game now if you lose the opening faceoff other team could control the puck for 30 seconds or more and waste an entire shift of those three. lets get control and then get our big guns out there. if Kampf wins the draw he immediately would have changed. Kampf isn't on the ice to play a full shift.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Start Matty, Mitch, and Mo and get scored on before they can get off the ice.

Start Kampf and even if they don't win the faceoff they can defend, get the puck, and change for Willy and Matty to score.

Reactions: egd27 and LDN

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yup. Play your best players. It's 5 minutes.
Start Matty, Mitch, and Mo and get scored on before they can get off the ice.

Start Kampf and even if they don't win the faceoff they can defend, get the puck, and change for Willy and Matty to score.
I can see your point but it's over thinking it still. If he loses the faceoff they're at a disadvantage when it's 3 on 3. Plenty of guys who can get by Kampf at 3 on 3.

They pay Matthews and Marner the money they do to win games. They should be the go to guys in OT. Matthews needs to win those faceoffs.

I'd have Matthews Marner and Mo

Nylander Bertuzzi and Lilly

If needs be because guys are gassed.. Domi and Knies with Brodie.

You need guys with speed who can put the puck in the net.

Id rather an all out go for it mode then whatever shit they do sometimes where they sit back and get scored on in the first 30 seconds anyway.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Marner looks to be in super elite mid season form and it seems to have rubbed off on Nylander.
Marner amazes me each time in that, despite Matthews being the franchise cornerstone, I've always thought Marner is the most talented player on the team.

Reactions: horner

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Marner amazes me each time in that, despite Matthews being the franchise cornerstone, I've always thought Marner is the most talented player on the team.
All around skill wise I don't think there is any question, top 5 in the league.
Goals are what makes Matthews the cornerstone, rightfully so.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

You're crying over preseason dude. Save your tears for games that actually matter.

Reactions: kb and Kurtz

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
all the years ive been here, never seen that happen once, just thinking we should trade Matthews and Marner for futures, and put Minten and Knies on the first line, and start a rebuild:sarcasm: just does not seem we are a good team since the start of camp....
We can have that conversation in a weeks time my friend... oh, and you bet your bottom dollar we will :rolleyes:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

There is no downside IMO to starting Kampf, and it's the right play.

If you win the face-off, he's easily taken off the ice.

If you lose the face-off, he's at least defensively sound and you're not gassing Matthews out trying to retrieve the puck.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
As long as Matthews wins the draw.......otherwise the opponents just play keep away and waste their TOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad