Pre-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ Washington Capitals | 7:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Thought*

Interested to know if this has been a lingering problem with Jurco that has now come to a head. Could explain his play this season, which hadn't been particularly energetic.

I saw somewhere he said it had been bothering him for a while but not while he skated. He said he would be in pain on the bench but not when playing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
wtf, why not just switch Weiss and Miller? I dont get it.
Wouldn't be surprised if that happens by tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'd say it's because Babcock doesn't feel comfortable with Pulkkinen+Weiss on the same line. A kid who has show nothing against NHL competition and a guy recently returned from 2 years of barely playing hockey who is still finding his way. In theory, could it be a good line? Yes. But it could also be one that's not very good defensively and has no chemistry. Miller is a compromise to make that line more defensively sound.

Pulkkinen still has Sheahan on his line. If he's the offensive powerhouse that he is being hyped up to be he should still be able to create some offense without playing with Weiss.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I wonder if there will be a single Wings fan who doesn't agree with this :laugh:

Good ole Babs, he sure knows how to troll us :D

I doubt there is many that don't agree. But there is a few here that seem to think Babcock can do no wrong. No matter how wrong it seems. Does anybody like Miller on a scoring line? If so please explain.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
So Pookie up for a while, and if another injury happens in the top 6, maybe Mantha gets a shot?

If a C gets injured we have enough coverage with our C playing on LW/RW. Next winger to get the call would probably be Callahan or Ferraro. Mantha is still adjusting his game (no preseason & turning pro), so he will probably stay in the minors for the rest of the season or get the call in the last few regular season games.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wouldn't be surprised if that happens by tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'd say it's because Babcock doesn't feel comfortable with Pulkkinen+Weiss on the same line. A kid who has show nothing against NHL competition and a guy recently returned from 2 years of barely playing hockey who is still finding his way. In theory, could it be a good line? Yes. But it could also be one that's not very good defensively and has no chemistry. Miller is a compromise to make that line more defensively sound.

Pulkkinen still has Sheahan on his line. If he's the offensive powerhouse that he is being hyped up to be he should still be able to create some offense without playing with Weiss.

Not worried about Pulks as much as I am about Weiss not being in the top 9.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think Miller has looked dangerous these last couple of games. If he finished half his chances, he'd have a handful of goals.

I'm not going to read too much into it. I think Babs will probably switch things up during the game if he feels like it's not working. I don't think he's been using the 4th line as a shutdown line lately either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Miller has looked dangerous these last couple of games. If he finished half his chances, he'd have a handful of goals.

I feel like you've said this a bunch, and the puck is still not going in the net.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guys. He's just making sure Pulks doesn't score too easily and get a big head. This is what the best coach in the NHL does. Plebes.

Maybe they will have a special tactic, two guys will crash the net and Pulkkinen will ShOOT ThE PUCK LIKE MAD. :handclap: Miller and Sheahan are both great screeners.

Or maybe it's time for Sheahan to show his playmaking abilities. Imo, he has some hidden talent on that area. Miller is the net-crasher/corner-grinder, that's for sure on that line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe they will have a special tactic, two guys will crash the net and Pulkkinen will ShOOT ThE PUCK LIKE MAD. :handclap: Miller and Sheahan are both great screeners.

Or maybe it's time for Sheahan to show his playmaking abilities. Imo, he has some hidden talent on that area. Miller is the net-crasher/corner-grinder, that's for sure on that line.

Gotta keep everyone's cap hit down all the time, right? ;)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Personally I think Drew Miller is rightfully being rewarded. He's remained healthy in all 41 games and is consistently working his tail off. It is amusing how poor he is at scoring goals (1 goal and 5 assists so far) but may be the staff is pushing at his comfort zone for him to be something what he was way back at MSU, an actual goal scorer along with his checking role.

Weiss, IJDK. In the last 5 games he's -4. 5 shots recorded, NONE in Calgary, NONE in EDM, and in that one logging almost 17 minutes and paired with Datsyuk for a good chunk. By my eye test I know he's been a successful veteran but I feel missing that 5th gear I'm not seeing anything special in his game. May be at the moment he's being punished a little for not living up to expectations?

Either way some of the argument over lineups is moot. Like a debate of Nestrasil vs. Andersson, does it really matter. No one is probably worried that Franzen and Jurco are out for now (although God I hope Jurco is not that deeply injured) because the Red Wings fill the spot and push on as usual. Our team is like a bunch of clones (in a good way). Basically we're being led by Justin Abdelkader anyways :laugh:.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Miller is not a great screen/net front guy. Most of his action does come from crashing down. But he is pretty easy to extricate from the slot because of his size. He has a great understanding down on the boards in terms of using it to brace some of the contact. However, in front of the net he is often blasted right out of the high price real-estate. We will see, but I wouldn't call that a strength, if he wasn't ice cold I would say his ability to crash Pulkkinen's rebounds might lead to some things, but Sheahan will have to do the bulk of the screening, good news is he is above average at it already and getting better all the time.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I'd hate to be anywhere near the net when Pulkkinen unloads.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Interesting choice for line ups....

Miller has been creating quite a few chances (as has Glandening) so I guess Babs wants to see if he can covert some of them given the chance? Definitely worth a try and we're certainly not up against the wall as far as standing go. Who knows? Maybe Miller will net one here and there. Besides, he's also a rock in terms of consistency and defensive play, helps when calling up Pullet, in case he's out of sync with the team in the early going...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I feel like you've said this a bunch, and the puck is still not going in the net.

I think it too. Miller has a sense for the offense, he's just not particularly fast, nor does he have an incredible shot, nor does he play with players who might be able to create chances or capitalize on the ones he creates.

Miller does get some chances and he's had a goal called back. Plus he gets mostly D zone starts with shutdown duty, not really geared toward scoring. I think his track record also shows it. He's a pretty steady producer, given his minutes, and has been for us for years. I think they'll start going in at some point. He had a bunch against his brother, somehow they didn't go in.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting choice for line ups....

Miller has been creating quite a few chances (as has Glandening) so I guess Babs wants to see if he can covert some of them given the chance? Definitely worth a try and we're certainly not up against the wall as far as standing go. Who knows? Maybe Miller will net one here and there. Besides, he's also a rock in terms of consistency and defensive play, helps when calling up Pullet, in case he's out of sync with the team in the early going...

Miller was quite consistent 10-15 goal scorer as a 3rd liner. Now at 4th line which plays against top lines and has no offensive suppert, is real really tough to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad