Detroit Red Wings Top 20 Prospects features new number one

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
dylan_larkin_michigan_121314.jpg
Photo: Detroit prospect Dylan Larkin has helped the Michigan Wolverines become the nation’s most potent offense this season. (courtesy of Richard T. Gagnon/Getty Images)

Boasting one of the deepest, if not the most talented, group of prospects in the NHL, the Detroit Red Wings are set up for sustained success. Despite the recent prospect graduations of Riley Sheahan, Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Jurco, the Wings pipeline still features the AHL’s leading scorer, one of college hockey’s most explosive players, as well as an abundance of defensive depth.

1. (4) Dylan Larkin, LW, 8.0C
Drafted: 1st round, 15th overall

Upon being drafted, University of Michigan-bound Dylan Larkin immediately became one of the Red Wings’ top prospects.… read more

The post Detroit Red Wings Top 20 Prospects features new number one appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Nice list. Larkin moving up to numero uno isn't much of a surprise...the kid is a dynamo.

Janmark, Ferraro, Nastasiuk, and Bertuzzi with some real nice gains...not too surprising.

I'd have thought Holmstrom would've held onto a top 20 spot though.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Have pointed this out all year, Larkin is a center and was drafted as a center. Such a peculiar error.

Not sure why this idea of LW keeps coming from.

Like you said, drafted as a center, playing center. Don't think I've heard/seen him play LW at all this season.

Also I think Ferrero is done for, he doesn't have a future in the Winged wheel. Its a bummer.

Last edited:

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Not sure why this idea of LW keeps coming from.

Like you said, drafted as a center, playing center. Don't think I've heard/seen him play LW at all this season.

Also I think Ferrero is done for, he doesn't have a future in the Winged wheel. Its a bummer but I

Thinking the same thing about Frk. Although he is still quite young.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
When Pulkinen was introduced for the first time, he was something like 6.5D and now he's 8.0C. Get a grip HF with the predictions, will ya'.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Ferraro is hardly even a prospect anymore and above AA, ew :shakehead.

AA should be 6 at the very least , I would take him over pulk and XO as well but im probably in a minority.

He's outplayed Mantha and is only 1 month older yet can't get no respect.

Also Tvrdon deserves to crack the top 15, he has been good after a down year last year.

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Pretty accurate imo except a few head scratchers. Athanasiou too low, no Axel Holmstrom stick out the most

I see it like this

1. Dylan Larkin
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Petr Mrazek
4. Xavier Ouellet
5. Teemu Pulkkinen
6. Andreas Athanasiou
7. Alexey Marchenko
8. Ryan Sproul
9. Nick Jensen
10. Zach Nastasiuk
11. Tyler Bertuzzi
12. Axel Holmstrom
13. Mattias Backman
14. Joe Hicketts
15. Tomas Nosek
16. Mattias Janmark
17. Christoffer Ehn
18. Alexander Kadeykin
19. Dominic Turgeon
20. Marek Tvrdon/Martin Frk

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think Frk and Paterson belong on that list. Holmstrom and Jensen should probably take their places.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
My top 20.

1. Dylan Larkin
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Petr Mrazek
4. Andreas Athanasiou
5. Xavier Ouellet
6. Teemu Pulkkinen
7. Alexey Marchenko
8. Ryan Sproul
9. Tyler Bertuzzi
10. Axel Holmstrom
11. Nick Jensen
12. Zach Nastasiuk
13. Marek Tvrdon
14. Joe Hicketts
15. Mattias Janmark
16. Tomas Nosek
17. Mattias Backman
18. Mitch Callahan
19. Christoffer Ehn
20. Dominic Turgeon

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
My top 20.

1. Dylan Larkin
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Petr Mrazek
4. Andreas Athanasiou
5. Xavier Ouellet
6. Teemu Pulkkinen
7. Alexey Marchenko
8. Ryan Sproul
9. Tyler Bertuzzi
10. Axel Holmstrom
11. Nick Jensen
12. Zach Nastasiuk
13. Marek Tvrdon
14. Joe Hicketts
15. Mattias Janmark
16. Tomas Nosek
17. Mattias Backman
18. Christoffer Ehn
19. Mitch Callahan
20. Dominic Turgeon

That's pretty good ranking.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I am the biggest Larkin homer here, and I'm not sure he should be #1. We still have a guy named Petr Mrazek who's shown he can steal NHL games.

I kinda agree, it's pretty hard to keep him out of the top spot right now, he might be something real special. But goalies do tend to have more fluctuations in development than skaters, so most will be inclined to hedge on him a little.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My top 20.

1. Dylan Larkin
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Petr Mrazek
4. Andreas Athanasiou
5. Xavier Ouellet
6. Teemu Pulkkinen
7. Alexey Marchenko
8. Ryan Sproul
9. Tyler Bertuzzi
10. Axel Holmstrom
11. Nick Jensen
12. Zach Nastasiuk
13. Marek Tvrdon
14. Joe Hicketts
15. Mattias Janmark
16. Tomas Nosek
17. Mattias Backman
18. Mitch Callahan
19. Christoffer Ehn
20. Dominic Turgeon

I like it, but don't understand how Holmstrom makes it to 10 but Janmark lands at 15. Ceiling?

Personally, Hicketts and Nosek are the hardest for me to rank.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm okay with Larkin as #1. I think Larkin projects out to be the better all-around player while Mantha projects out to be more of an offensive force. I've really been impressed with Larkin's skating as well.

You see a guy like Sheehan play well as a decent offensive player but he's good at both ends of the ice while you see someone like Jurco with a lot of offensive skill struggling.

You have to be able to produce like Tatar or Nyquist if you're going to get by on offense alone. Mantha and Pulkkinen will stick in the NHL when they can produce unless they develop a two-way game. Jurco will need to produce as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel like for the most part (myself included), we don't really know enough about Janmark to accurately gauge where he should fall on this.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

Agreed, plus Backman. Hicketts seems to have everything we'd need in a defenseman but is tiny. Who knows how he'll translate to the AHL, let alone NHL. He's lower on the list in principle, and even if he puts up good AHL numbers there's still the Almquist 2.0 risk. He should at least have the skating advantage over AA to give him an edge, though, and AA ended up decently well ranked on many lists for us.

Backman obviously has gotten praise from the highest levels of the organization but is an enigma. When Babcock calls you out personally, especially as a defenseman rather than huge forward, you have potential. But he's back in Sweden and odds look to be against him ever wearing a Wings sweater at this point.

Brandel*

Mind-boggling how Larkin, Mantha, Mrazek and Pulkkinen all have the exact same ranking.

Not really.

What is mind-boggling is that Axel Holmstrom wasn't ranked in the top 20. Late birthday, 18 yo just played 21 minutes (on a top team) as a F in the SHL, has 10 goals and 18 points in 36 games. And had a great WJC on top of that. :cry:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As long as Mrazek is still considered a prospect, I think the #1 spot is still his to lose. What more can you want from him? World Juniors star, Calder Cup winner, his play in his first real NHL stint.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I like it, but don't understand how Holmstrom makes it to 10 but Janmark lands at 15. Ceiling?

Just taking into consideration Holmstrom is 3 1/2 years younger, it's tough to say though, Janmark may have more skill/flash to his game.

The 10-20 spots were kind of a tossup, especially hard to rank the guys playing in Europe who I don't get to see much.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't usually like to complain about these lists, but Ferraro?? Really??

He is top 5 in the AHL in goals, with plus speed and exceptional PK abilities. Not sure we have a spot for him but Landon Ferraro isn't a bad hockey player by any means. I expected to see him higher than any of us should put him.

With that said no Jensen is embarrassing, to the degree it makes me think they simply forgot him. Even if you don't like him and he is older, he easily slots in the Top 15.

Like others have pointed out Holmstrom also has to be on this list, skating issues cannot justify his complete absence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad