Detroit Red Wings Rookies Filling Important Holes

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Throughout an NHL season every team deals with injuries to key players, and they need younger players to step up and provide. Some teams, like this years incarnation of the Detroit Red Wings, have multiple key players out all at the same time. This gives young players the opportunity to show what they’ve got. For the Red Wings, it means rookies are filling important holes in the team’s line-up.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/01/08/detroit-red-wings-rookies-filling-important-holes/

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Throughout an NHL season every team deals with injuries to key players, and they need younger players to step up and provide. Some teams, like this years incarnation of the Detroit Red Wings, have multiple key players out all at the same time. This gives young players the opportunity to show what they’ve got. For the Red Wings, it means rookies are filling important holes in the team’s line-up.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/01/08/detroit-red-wings-rookies-filling-important-holes/

Ultimately, this season appears to be over for the Red Wings. It would take a major miracle for Detroit to somehow extend The Streak. The success of this team will come from being able to lessen the roles of older players and start relying on these rookies and other young players.

Interesting

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A bit early to say 'season over' and that it takes a miracle. Doesn't look good but there's still time.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A bit early to say 'season over' and that it takes a miracle. Doesn't look good but there's still time.

It would take a miracle. They need to reach the 95 points (which is the rounded average since the reorganization of divisions needed to get a playoff spot). This would require them to get 2/3rds of all possible points from this point on. This is nearly 50% more points than they have gotten to this point in the season. This means they would have to play hockey for over half the season equivalent to a team ended the season with 110 points.

It would take a miracle.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

This mindset by the organization and fans is the reason why the wings are where they are. Continuing to think,this way will continue the downfall.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This mindset by the organization and fans is the reason why the wings are where they are. Continuing to think,this way will continue the downfall.

No...

They're not ready to give up on a season when there is still half of it to be played and that's a bad thing?

God I hate the current NHL. Even if it is the most effective way to return to being a favorite, it just galls me that there is anything besides the lunatic fringe of a fanbase who are ready on January 9th to be like "whelp, we're done! Bring on the draft!" That's Lions ****.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It would take a miracle. They need to reach the 95 points (which is the rounded average since the reorganization of divisions needed to get a playoff spot). This would require them to get 2/3rds of all possible points from this point on. This is nearly 50% more points than they have gotten to this point in the season. This means they would have to play hockey for over half the season equivalent to a team ended the season with 110 points.

It would take a miracle.
You can call it a miracle but I'd call it a team going on a run. It happens. There are no signs of us being a team like that this year but I still struggle to call the season over at Game 40.

And what is the different mindset? Stop trying if you're out of the playoffs by game 40 in an 82 game season? Stop trying if you're down 3-0 in a playoff series? Stop trying if you're down a couple of goals in any given game? Stop trying because winning seems like a longshot?

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
No...

They're not ready to give up on a season when there is still half of it to be played and that's a bad thing?

God I hate the current NHL. Even if it is the most effective way to return to being a favorite, it just galls me that there is anything besides the lunatic fringe of a fanbase who are ready on January 9th to be like "whelp, we're done! Bring on the draft!" That's Lions ****.

No it's fine to try to win that's what fans want. But Holland is not trying,to win. He's trying to be an 8TH seed, preserve the streak and lose in 5 games in the first round.

EVERYONE with a brain knew mantha should have been,in the roster day 1, Holland chose to put him in the ahl. Why bring back Miller and helm? We have younger, healthier and cheaper guys to take those roles. He'll his free agents this off season were the best since hossa. Vanek and Nielsen were great signings. Nielson was for too long but that's FA for ya. Vanek 1 year deal, PERFECT!

But failing to make trades and hanging on to old, crippled players for too long is the mindset that's hurting us. Its ok to take a risk and play the young guys. He'll kronwall is hurt(surprise....) and the defense is better. Mantha is in and we have more offense, as well as a couple fights.

You may be satisfied with 8TH seed and losing in the first round every year. But I'm not.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You can call it a miracle but I'd call it a team going on a run. It happens. There are no signs of us being a team like that this year but I still struggle to call the season over at Game 40.

And what is the different mindset? Stop trying if you're out of the playoffs by game 40 in an 82 game season? Stop trying if you're down 3-0 in a playoff series? Stop trying if you're down a couple of goals in any given game? Stop trying because winning seems like a longshot?

For the team, as it is today, winning 66% of the possible points, isn't a run. It would be a complete transformation. The team has shown for the whole season it has major deficiencies that would need to drastically change for them to do it. For these things to fall into place, for no other teams to go on runs of their own, and for Detroit to make it into the playoffs would be a miracle, because the odds are stacked heavily against it. So much so Vegas has it at a 3.5% chance.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
For the team, as it is today, winning 66% of the possible points, isn't a run. It would be a complete transformation. The team has shown for the whole season it has major deficiencies that would need to drastically change for them to do it. For these things to fall into place, for no other teams to go on runs of their own, and for Detroit to make it into the playoffs would be a miracle, because the odds are stacked heavily against it. So much so Vegas has it at a 3.5% chance.
Ottawa went on a run like that a few years ago. "All" it would take is for us to get some injured players back to give us depth scoring, Mrazek to find his game, and the PP to come to life.

Not saying it isn't a longshot but the season isn't over until it's over.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Ottawa went on a run like that a few years ago. "All" it would take is for us to get some injured players back to give us depth scoring, Mrazek to find his game, and the PP to come to life.

Except the injured players help more by not playing. Kronwall and helm can stay out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

God, what a nightmare that would be. Wings go on a 'run', make the playoffs, nothing changes, Sheahan gets an extension and continues to play 15+ minutes a night. I really hope there are no miracles for this team, for the good of the franchise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
God, what a nightmare that would be. Wings go on a 'run', make the playoffs, nothing changes, Sheahan gets an extension and continues to play 15+ minutes a night. I really hope there are no miracles for this team, for the good of the franchise.

On one hand, just kicking the re-build can farther down the road.

On the other hand, this isn't the best draft class to start with anyways.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except the injured players help more by not playing. Kronwall and helm can stay out.
I don't miss Kronner but Helm/Abby/Green are definitely better than Miller/Ott/Jensen.

If we go on a run driven by the performance of players like Mantha, Larkin, Mrazek, AA, Ouellet, Sproul etc. I don't see why it would be a bad thing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't miss Kronner but Helm/Abby/Green are definitely better than Miller/Ott/Jensen.

If we go on a run driven by the performance of players like Mantha, Larkin, Mrazek, AA, Ouellet, Sproul etc. I don't see why it would be a bad thing.
I'd bet a sizeable amount that this team, even if it went on a historic second half run to make the playoffs, wouldn't win more than 2 games (and probably not even that). The window is simply over until a new core is fully in place.

The ideal scenario for rebuilding is that the young players continue to play well, but the team keeps losing to get the highest pick they can. Thus far, Mantha is more than holding up his end of the bargain, and I like the contributions of AA, Sproul, and XO. Larkin needs help, and Mrazek is a mess, but so far so good in terms of the lottery.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I just hope the team is far enough down the standings that Holland doesn't feel justified in wasting another 2nd on Legwand or Cole 3.0. Pretty sad that you have to hope the team does poorly to avoid more GM incompetence.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Considering most of those guys aren't the reason we are where we are now, and it has been the play of the veterans. I think it'll be a bad thing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just hope the team is far enough down the standings that Holland doesn't feel justified in wasting another 2nd on Legwand or Cole 3.0. Pretty sad that you have to hope the team does poorly to avoid more GM incompetence.
Ottawa is currently the closest team for Detroit to catch. Based on their respective PPG and number of games remaining prior to the trade deadline, the Wings are on pace to be 13 points behind the Sens at the deadline.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
On one hand, just kicking the re-build can farther down the road.

On the other hand, this isn't the best draft class to start with anyways.

it might be better to kick the rebuild further down the road. along with no projected great draft class, delaying the rebuild could help as when they get out of it, there would probably be less terrible contracts on the books.

wings have about 64.5 mil in cap locked up for next season (excluding franzen) for 16 players. re-signing tatar and AA would put wings at 18 players and maybe at 70M or so. not much room for more terrible contracts. biggest thing that could hurt us is an awful deadline move (along with not selling vanek, maybe green etc).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
it might be better to kick the rebuild further down the road. along with no projected great draft class, delaying the rebuild could help as when they get out of it, there would probably be less terrible contracts on the books.

wings have about 64.5 mil in cap locked up for next season (excluding franzen) for 16 players. re-signing tatar and AA would put wings at 18 players and maybe at 70M or so. not much room for more terrible contracts. biggest thing that could hurt us is an awful deadline move (along with not selling vanek, maybe green etc).

True, but since we seem to have gotten bad organically I'm not really sure it makes sense to kick it down further. We are in an "interesting" spot.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

There is no way to kick it down the road anymore. The talent isn't there. If it were a problem of them not trying hard enough, then this would be viable. But this team is like the slow third grader at the spelling bee. They get the word cat and start it off with a K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad