Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#8)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Ryan Sproul is running away with the #7 spot so I'm going to throw the #8 poll up now.

Mitch Callahan narrowly beats out Martin Frk for the add.

Results so far:

Results so far:
1) Anthony Mantha - 19, RW/LW: 6'5" 204 lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 41.18%
2) Tomas Jurco - 21, LW/RW: 6'2" 201 lbs. Kosice, SVK 66.00%
3) Petr Mrázek - 21, G: 6'1" 187 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 84.34%
4) Riley Sheahan - 22, C: 6'2" 212 lbs. St. Catharines, ON, CAN 45.71%
5) Calle Järnkrok - 22, C/RW: 6'0" 188 lbs. Gävle, SWE 51.95%
6) Xavier Ouellet - 20, D: 6'0" 200 lbs. Bayonne, FRA 46.39%
7) Ryan Sproul - 21, RD: 6'4" 205 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 54.65%

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Pulu then Marchy then Bäckman.

Voted Pulu over Sproul because I feel Alexey has similar offensive numbers but is vastly superior defensively. Pulu is ahead of all three in terms of production and "readiness". Pulu reminds me of a more physical and stronger Hudler. Great shots and great playmaking.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pulkkinen should be a no-brainer here IMO.

ADD FRK!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Went with Marchenko. He seems about interchangeable with Backman for me - I see similar ceilings and a similar likelihood of getting there. The guy who I struggled with was Athanasiou. I think his upside is the highest of those listed, but he's also less likely to get there than Backman or Marchenko.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Pulkkinen, its not even a question, he should have been off the board 2-3 picks ago. he is NHL ready and has a decent potential for a scoring winger. if he was 6 ft he would have been off the board at 4 but 2 inches has people overlooking him. he is the BEST player currently in Grand Rapids and its not even close. and I'm including Sheahan down there because he is not as impressive when he's in Grand Rapids as he is in Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Went with Marchenko. He seems about interchangeable with Backman for me - I see similar ceilings and a similar likelihood of getting there. The guy who I struggled with was Athanasiou. I think his upside is the highest of those listed, but he's also less likely to get there than Backman or Marchenko.

Not too sure about that. The scouting staff has been saying AA will make the NHL on his speed alone since the day he was drafted. Always has been just a question of in what capacity it will be.

When you factor in the fact that he is now 6'2" and 200 lbs to go along with that speed, I think he's a pretty safe bet.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Not too sure about that. The scouting staff has been saying AA will make the NHL on his speed alone since the day he was drafted. Always has been just a question of in what capacity it will be.

When you factor in the fact that he is now 6'2" and 200 lbs to go along with that size, I think he's a pretty safe bet.

at #8 i think AA has the highest upside given his size, speed and skill

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
at #8 i think AA has the highest upside given his size, speed and skill

Maybe. Pulkkinen is a ppg player pretty much in the AHL right now, almost broke Selannes scoring record as a rookie in SM-liga, and has a lot of talent offensively. Really doesn't get enough credit, he was looked at as a 1st rounder going into his draft year, similarly to AA.

I understand peoples concern with the amount of young wingers we have, but should that really count against Pulkkinen in a poll that determines who our best prospects are at the given moment. And how many of those guys have a 100 mph slapper and shoot right handed? Pulkkinen fits a niche perfectly as a RH trigger-man that the Wings have lacked for some time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We all love Tatar, right?

Tats and Pulkks are about a year apart, and the season Pulkks is putting together very closely resembles Tatars year in GR last year statistically.

Pulkkinens GR season for ages 21-22 (2013-2014)
42 pts in 51 gp for ~.82 ppg

Tatars GR season for ages 21-22 (2012-2013)
49 pts in 61 gp for ~.80 ppg

Based on this ^^^^ vote Pulkks for #8 ;) Unless you hate Tatar :P

Anchor Town*

We all love Tatar, right?

Tats and Pulkks are about a year apart, and the season Pulkks is putting together very closely resembles Tatars year in GR last year statistically.

Pulkkinens GR season for ages 21-22 (2013-2014)
42 pts in 51 gp for ~.82 ppg

Tatars GR season for ages 21-22 (2012-2013)
49 pts in 61 gp for ~.80 ppg

Based on this ^^^^ vote Pulkks for #8 ;) Unless you hate Tatar :P

There's just no room for Pulkkinen with all the wingers ahead of him.

Anchor Town*

Backman is the easy pick here, he's already ahead of Marchenko in almost every facet and he has a higher ceiling

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
There's just no room for Pulkkinen with all the wingers ahead of him.
I'll only believe this the very season it happens. I have a hunch that the Wings value Pulkkinen more than most posters here. Plus, I think Babcock will keep him in a Hudler-style role for a good while too. He'll play 3rd/4th line and get PP time for a season or two. I think there's room for him to do that. By then, the Wings depth picture should be radically different.

Anchor Town*

How does that change where he ranks among our prospects?
I contest that it shouldn't.

His value goes down because he plays a redundant position/role. Part of how I (and a lot of people) rank these guys is how close they are to making an impact at the NHL level where they are projected. I don't see Pulkkinen being able to crack a top 6 winger spot anytime in the near or relatively distant future. There's Zetterberg, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Mantha all in front of him, Mantha being the only debatable one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad