Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#4)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
So Mrazek was running away with the #3 spot (link) so I called it early.
Mattias Janmark was the add.
On to #4

Results so far:
1) Anthony Mantha - 19, RW/LW: 6'5" 204 lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 41.18%
2) Tomas Jurco - 21, LW/RW: 6'2" 201 lbs. Kosice, SVK 66.00%
3) Petr Mrázek - 21, G: 6'1" 187 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 84.34%

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Decisions getting tougher from here. Going with Ironhook, a slower than hoped transition to NA (though it seems he's heating up now) doesn't change that the kid has some serious skill and plays in the most important position for forwards (especially IRT the DRW).

Edit forgot the add:
Athanasiou

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sheahan, add Athanasiou.

For me, the top-3 was one group and after that there's another group with Sheahan, Ouellet, Järnkrok & Sproul. Then Pulkkinen, Marchenko, Janmark, Bäckman and so on. Tough choices when trying to rank guys within those groups.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Sheahan

I think both he and Jarnkrok project as 2C's, although one may end up playing 1C out of necessity. I give the edge to Sheahan because he has proven more.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think people are being a little too optimistic and a tad short-sighted in regards to Sheahan, this stint has been impressive but it's only been 18 games. For all we know this could just be an adrenaline fuelled hot streak and he'd go back to being a #4 or #3 C.

I hope he keeps it up but I'll need more than a short stint to put him above Jarnkrok.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Jarnkrok is going to have start producing at Pulkkinen's current pace in order for me to consider him even top 5 at this point. I've heard all the good things in the world about him, but I want to see the numbers.

Sheahan, in my opinion, has been the next best "newbie" forward behind Nyquist and Tatar. Yes, better than Jurco. I think we have our future #3 center here. He constantly makes NHL level decisions with the puck, he has a wicked shot (which I didn't know about prior to this year). He can protect the puck, he can win battles. Jurco has more potential to become a scorer, but I think Riley will be as steady as they come.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think people are being a little too optimistic and a tad short-sighted in regards to Sheahan, this stint has been impressive but it's only been 18 games. For all we know this could just be an adrenaline fuelled hot streak and he'd go back to being a #4 or #3 C.

I hope he keeps it up but I'll need more than a short stint to put him above Jarnkrok.

Yeah, this is how I feel. Sheahan's stock has risen with me, but it's still been a short stint. I still put Jarnkrok ahead of him, if only by a very slim margin. I think Jarnkrok has been slow to adjust to NA, but is trending in the right direction. And his upside is still higher than Sheahan's.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jarnkrok, he could slide a little more depending on what happens the rest of the year for me this summer but I still see a ton of things that excite me when I watch him play hockey. His ceiling is quite high and he thinks the game on a NHL level. Also he has a plus tool in terms of faceoffs and has been pretty stellar on the pk, so a good news deal is he can break in on a lower line and provides that right handed center. Needs to put on some weight still, but he narrowly beats Sheahan for me and I have always been a big fan of Riley. Also think like we have seen with Riley certain parts of the NHL will lend themselves to Calle because of the way he plays defense and transitions to offense, the raise in talent should help him and he does have a high ceiling there especially on the PP.

Add Athanasiou

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

I dunno it's not like he's getting lucky out there. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL at all. When you watch him you can see he has good all around skill, he's strong, he's smart, knows how to play both ways. That talent isn't going to just disappear short of an injury or something. It's a tough call between him and Jarnkrok at this point. Jarnkrok has more offensive skill but Sheahan probably has the defensive edge and has proven more. They both project to be roughly equal players (good 2-way centers) IMO though.

Anchor Town*

I think people are being a little too optimistic and a tad short-sighted in regards to Sheahan, this stint has been impressive but it's only been 18 games. For all we know this could just be an adrenaline fuelled hot streak

You could say the exact same thing about Jarnkrok...I see them as very close right now but give the edge to Sheahan since he's doing it at the NHL level

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Because I voted sheahan at #1 I cannot cast a vote for this one I would have voted for mantha at #4. I favor readiness to pro's over potential but next yeah with a sample size of ahl games it would not suprise me at all if he enters the top 3.

Anchor Town*

Because I voted sheahan at #1 I cannot cast a vote for this one I would have voted for mantha at #4. I favor readiness to pro's over potential but next yeah with a sample size of ahl games it would not suprise me at all if he enters the top 3.

Ummm, you can still vote for Sheahan here...

NyquistIsMyGod*

I voted for Xavier Ouellet. I included a number of things into my reasoning. I included age, where they are now, projected, potential, likely to hit potential, etc.

Xavier Ouellet could play in the NHL right now. He may not have the highest potential, as I think Ryan Sproul has higher potentail, but the ability to play right now, the ability to be a puckmoving defensive defenseman really adds a lot. Ouellet has all of the tools. Incredible hockey IQ.

I think a few prospects have higher potential than Xavier Ouellet but he just has everything.

I missed voting for the first three for the most part. I think I would have had it:

1. Petr Mrazek
2. Tomas Jurco
3. Anthony Mantha

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Agreed. Most prospects do really well there first time up, it's the 2nd & 3rd time that you get a better picture.

That said I do like the way Sheahan is trending & if he can keep his play up over the rest of the season I'll likely move him up accordingly.

I went with Sproul here. His upside is off the charts, I'd almost argue his top end if higher than Mantha's, he could become a very good #2 offensive dman. His play over the past month is concerning but he showed in the early part of the season that he can still provide offense. Sproul has been getting sheltered & he will likely take the full 3 seasons in GR but to me his upside alone is enough to put him at #4.

Add: Ferraro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad