Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#10)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I voted Janmark because I think he has more raw skill and is more of a difference maker. But it's a tough choice between the two Mattias'.

I agree with this, and that is well put.

Backman sounds a lot like a young version of Kindl from scouting reports. Tall D that isn't physical at all, and more offensive than defensive.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'm going with Almquist here.

I know everyone thinks he is small, but he has been producing well. Its time for Detroit to decide if they want to give this guy a shot or trade him.

I think he could be a very good player.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Think people are sleeping too much on Frk. This time last year everyone was worried about Jurco not producing. He went on to finish strong, started off great this year and got an NHL call up not long after. The same could easily be true of Frk. He's roughly half way through his first pro season. He also hasn't had the benefit of staying in GR all year and receiving as much ice time as Jurco got last year due to the roster crunch. He was the best player at the prospect camp over the summer according to many who were in attendance. He's been playing well the past month or so in GR, he's flashing the skill he has. I really don't think he's too far off from where Jurco was last year. He still needs work on parts of his game but I think by this time next year everyone is going to have him in their top 10.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Think people are sleeping too much on Frk. This time last year everyone was worried about Jurco not producing. He went on to finish strong, started off great this year and got an NHL call up not long after. The same could easily be true of Frk. He's roughly half way through his first pro season. He also hasn't had the benefit of staying in GR all year and receiving as much ice time as Jurco got last year due to the roster crunch. He was the best player at the prospect camp over the summer according to many who were in attendance. He's been playing well the past month or so in GR, he's flashing the skill he has. I really don't think he's too far off from where Jurco was last year. He still needs work on parts of his game but I think by this time next year everyone is going to have him in their top 10.

I also think people are getting a bit too down on the kid but this sort of post should be saved until at least the #12 or #13 poll when guys like Backman, Janmark, and AA2 are off the board.
Given his struggles he has no business being ahead of those guys right now even if he has pretty good potential.

Brandel*

Our top 5 prospects according to TSN:

Top Prospects:
Anthony Mantha, RW, Val d'Or (QMJHL)
Tomas Jurco, RW, Grand Rapids (AHL)
Riley Sheahan, C, Grand Rapids (AHL)
Teemu Pulkkinen, RW, Grand Rapids (AHL)
Petr Mrazek, G, Grand Rapids (AHL)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Our top 5 prospects according to TSN:

It's not bad from an outsider opinion, but I just can't think of one reason to have Pulkkinen over Mrazek. Petr could back-up in the NHL right now,has looked impressive, and has more experience. Pulk is having a good year, but it's a small sample size.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Athanasiou doesn't get enough credit. He is 2nd in the OHL in goals. He should win this poll. I guess maybe people are voting on readiness over long-term, because Athanasiou is still 3+ years away. He has killer speed though, and can clearly score goals.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bäckman is a two-way D, doesn't really excel at anything but plays pretty solid overall. He makes simple offensive plays and can play PP if needed. Not very physical, although this year he's added a bit of that to his game, but positions himself well and has a very active stick & good pokecheck. So basically, he's kind of similar to Ouellet but less physical and taller & could add quite a bit more mass. That Eliteprospects write-up is a bit off, imo. Especially the D part.

I voted Janmark because I think he has more raw skill and is more of a difference maker. But it's a tough choice between the two Mattias'.

I think his defense has become the strongest part of his game. He has incredibly sound positioning and a very good stick. Pretty slick outlet passer when I have seen him. I don't expect a ton of offense unless placed on a bad team with tons of ice time and opportunity hopefully we aren't at that place.

What I think when I see him, is a coaches friend much like Ouellet. I don't know how much more physical he will get, but I do think he has the best stick in our entire system and that is how he plays the game. With the weight and just the little more physicality as he did need some at least I am very happy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Athanasiou doesn't get enough credit. He is 2nd in the OHL in goals. He should win this poll. I guess maybe people are voting on readiness over long-term, because Athanasiou is still 3+ years away. He has killer speed though, and can clearly score goals.

We will see when he gets to the next level, I still don't like the way he plays a ton of individual hockey, gets harder to do that with each level you get up and while he is a phenomenal skater that gap will close as well. He is improving in terms of using his teammates more often but there are still times where you wonder if the guy knows he has teammates and knows what they are doing on ice.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think his defense has become the strongest part of his game. He has incredibly sound positioning and a very good stick. Pretty slick outlet passer when I have seen him. I don't expect a ton of offense unless placed on a bad team with tons of ice time and opportunity hopefully we aren't at that place.

What I think when I see him, is a coaches friend much like Ouellet. I don't know how much more physical he will get, but I do think he has the best stick in our entire system and that is how he plays the game. With the weight and just the little more physicality as he did need some at least I am very happy.
I was gonna say, the guy I saw at the WJC was by no means an offensive defenseman. I remember him being a very good skater with great positioning and some offensive skill, but kind of a conservative game.

Anchor Town*

I agree with this, and that is well put.

Backman sounds a lot like a young version of Kindl from scouting reports. Tall D that isn't physical at all, and more offensive than defensive.

Na, Backman is very good defensively (hardly ever gets scored on on a below average team), just doesn't play physical. Kinda in the same style as Lidstrom in his defensive game (note: style comparison, not abilities). He's just as good defensively as he is offensively, maybe even better

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Na, Backman is very good defensively (hardly ever gets scored on on a below average team), just doesn't play physical. Kinda in the same style as Lidstrom in his defensive game (note: style comparison, not abilities). He's just as good defensively as he is offensively, maybe even better

Thank you for some input since I am unable to watch him being across the pond.

Good stuff to know. I know Hakan likes to compare him to Edler, so that would be awesome, even if Edler is struggling this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad