Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#10)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Alexei Marchenko takes the #9 spot handily (link)

Vote for the add was tied between Nastasiuk and Paterson, I'm going with Nasty.

Results so far:
1) Anthony Mantha - 19, RW/LW: 6'5" 204 lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 41.18%
2) Tomas Jurco - 21, LW/RW: 6'2" 201 lbs. Kosice, SVK 66.00%
3) Petr Mrázek - 21, G: 6'1" 187 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 84.34%
4) Riley Sheahan - 22, C: 6'2" 212 lbs. St. Catharines, ON, CAN 45.71%
5) Calle Järnkrok - 22, C/RW: 6'0" 188 lbs. Gävle, SWE 51.95%
6) Xavier Ouellet - 20, D: 6'0" 200 lbs. Bayonne, FRA 46.39%
7) Ryan Sproul - 21, RD: 6'4" 205 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 54.65%
8) Teemu Pulkkinen - 22, RW: 5'11" 185 lbs. Vantaa, FIN 48.10%
9) Alexei Marchenko - 22, RD: 6'2" 212 lbs. Moscow, RUS 75.41%

Brandel*

Backman
Athanasiou
Janmark

Easily Backman for this one, that list also ends the prospects I'm high on. I don't see the rest of them after Janmark having better than bottom 6 F or 5-6 D or #2 G potential at all. Excluding 2013 picks that are complete question marks like McNulty and Melen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Backman
Athanasiou
Janmark

Easily Backman for this one, that list also ends the prospects I'm high on. I don't see the rest of them after Janmark having better than bottom 6 F or 5-6 D or #2 G potential at all. Excluding 2013 picks that are complete question marks like McNulty and Melen.

Probably, but I wouldn't rule Athanasiou out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Backman, Athanasiou, Janmark, Ferraro. My next 4.

Stupid Frk, he was such a tease last summer. :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was going to say add Jensen til I realized he had 0 pts in 22 gms.

Between McNasty and McNulty for the add for me. Going to go with Nastasiuk for the add.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Not too familiar with Backman though I see his name here a lot. Is there an NHL player you could compare him to?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Where is this "Backman is average to below-average defensively" and "Backman is an offensive defenseman who is bad in his own zone" coming from? I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with it, because I haven't even seen the kid play in 2 years now, but for a long time Backman had a reputation for being good defensively. He was very good defensively in the WJC and always seems to be one of the +/- leaders on his team (without producing a TON of points). I understand he's a twig with no physical play and no snarl in front of his own crease, but is he really considered that much worse in his own end than, say, Ouellet or Marchenko?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Where is this "Backman is average to below-average defensively" and "Backman is an offensive defenseman who is bad in his own zone" coming from? I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with it, because I haven't even seen the kid play in 2 years now, but for a long time Backman had a reputation for being good defensively. He was very good defensively in the WJC and always seems to be one of the +/- leaders on his team (without producing a TON of points). I understand he's a twig with no physical play and no snarl in front of his own crease, but is he really considered that much worse in his own end than, say, Ouellet or Marchenko?

some scouting reports have said that. i don't think he's bad in his own zone. maybe not as good defensively as marchenko but he's no sproul. maybe little off ouellet imo.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

There are conflicting reports from saying he is bad defensively and so,e that say he is competent...so I picked in the middle.

EliteProspects:
Bäckman is an offensive defenseman with good on-ice vision and mobility. Contributes offensively by delivering clever passes and a good shot.
He is however very bad in the defensive zone. His physical game is extremely weak and he sometimes makes foolish decisions in 2-on-1 situations.

Red Wings Central:
“The thing we liked most is that his skating ability is very, very good, and he’s always skating with his head up and making the right play at the right time and not over-handling it. His decision-making under pressure was very good. He played a very solid and steady game defensively and he’s always in the right position at the right time. He’s not a heavy banging defenseman but he can separate his man from the puck. He just puts himself in the right position and makes people go into bad areas.” — Red Wings scout Mark Leach (January 2012)

I don't see Edler either, maybe Meech with a higher hockey IQ? Both play an offensive game and have defensive abilities. Both good skaters and not very physical? So like an upgraded Meech?

Just for reference, this is what RWC has for Meech, and as you see, they aren't very far off. Which is why I say a higher hockey IQ version of Meech, with some extra height.

RWC SCOUTING EXCERPTS
Smooth, fluid skater with good puck poise who can skate the puck out of his own zone or make a crisp breakout pass … Smart, solid defender who does a good job in 1-on-1 situations … Capable of running a power play but never puts up big numbers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
A bigger version of Adam Almqvist. Both superb offensively, both average to below average defensively, both with extremely high hockey IQ, both not very physical.

I always thought of Backman as a solid, smart, responsible, two-way defensemen. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here. I have never observed anything that suggests that he is or will become an offensive defensemen in the mold of Almqvist.
The quote from Eliteprospects is the first time I have heard any commentator suggest that he is an offensive defensemen.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Bäckman is a two-way D, doesn't really excel at anything but plays pretty solid overall. He makes simple offensive plays and can play PP if needed. Not very physical, although this year he's added a bit of that to his game, but positions himself well and has a very active stick & good pokecheck. So basically, he's kind of similar to Ouellet but less physical and taller & could add quite a bit more mass. That Eliteprospects write-up is a bit off, imo. Especially the D part.

I voted Janmark because I think he has more raw skill and is more of a difference maker. But it's a tough choice between the two Mattias'.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I always thought of Backman as a solid, smart, responsible, two-way defensemen. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here. I have never observed anything that suggests that he is or will become an offensive defensemen in the mold of Almqvist.
The quote from Eliteprospects is the first time I have heard any commentator suggest that he is an offensive defensemen.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Look up one post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad