Pre-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ New York Rangers

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Being injury-prone, just means that for one reason or another a player is always injured, which Helm is. I don't know why people want to take the time to try and decipher which of his injuries should be attributed to luck vs which ones show a pattern. Who cares. At some point you just have to recognize that a guys always hurt, and odds are he's going to continue to keep getting hurt.

I mean it is what it is people.
He played 75 and 82 games the 2 seasons prior the start of his trouble at the end of the 2011-12 season, where he played 68 games before going down.

Maybe this guy is just having a string of injury trouble and will put it behind him. He's still young, as long as his back is OK there's no reason to believe he can't stay healthy.

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 19h
Wings have recalled Tomas Jurco from Grand Rapids

Hope he kills it tomorrow even though he'll most likely be sent back down after the game as he's filling in for Tatar.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 55m
Babcock said none of the injured forwards (Datsyuk, Franzen, Helm and Alfredsson) will play tomorrow.

I'm starting to think some of these injuries are a little more serious than "Day to day"

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
According to this the only Wing close to returning is Ericsson, who might be able to go Saturday. Howard said he's fully healed. Alfie is more injured than we thought. Helm is probably a month away still and Franzen I think is done for the season.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I love that our ironmen thus far this season are Andersson, Miller, and Quincey. And Cleary has missed just one game.

Also, since we're on the topic of injuries, the former reigning champion of the Mr. Injury Prone competition - Niklas Kronwall - has missed just two games (which, by the way, makes for a total of 5 missed games in the last 4 seasons).

Anyways, after tonight's game:

- Helm has missed 31 games.
- Weiss has missed 21 games
- Ericsson has missed 18 games.
- Franzen has missed 17 games
- Dekeyser has missed 16 games.
- Datsyuk has missed 12 games.
- Zetterberg has missed 11 games.
- Smith has missed 10 games.
- And Aflie has missed 9 games.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
According to this the only Wing close to returning is Ericsson, who might be able to go Saturday. Howard said he's fully healed. Alfie is more injured than we thought. Helm is probably a month away still and Franzen I think is done for the season.

There is nothing in that "source" that says Helm is probably a month away and Franzen is done for the season.

Franzen being done for the season is a complete shot in the dark as well, since concussion issues can clear up out of nowhere just as much as they can linger on.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
how many of these guys are playing it ultra safe with the olympics coming up?
On the other side of that coin, as a swede, it pains me that Z is probably fighting through injury/back pain in order to carry the team in the absence of every other forward worth a damn.

At least in the Olympics he'll play on the wing and have some good support so hopefully the wear and tear won't be as great.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is nothing in that "source" that says Helm is probably a month away and Franzen is done for the season.

Franzen being done for the season is a complete shot in the dark as well, since concussion issues can clear up out of nowhere just as much as they can linger on.

Franzen is starting to worry me in that he is basically a workout problem. It sounds like he is fine as long as he isn't exerting himself. Those guys usually wind up missing long chunks of time, also worries me about it even really being worth it to come back at all. Savard basically had this for a while, forced his way back in and now it is a problem for him in his everyday life.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

It's just a feeling I have. From what Helm has been saying, it seems he is about a month away. And as for Franzen, brain injuries are always such an unknown, it wouldn't surprise me if he was done for the season.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
It's just a feeling I have. From what Helm has been saying, it seems he is about a month away. And as for Franzen, brain injuries are always such an unknown, it wouldn't surprise me if he was done for the season.

If these minor re-occurring injuries we have turn into season long ones, I think this is definitely the year we miss playoffs.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Being injury-prone, just means that for one reason or another a player is always injured, which Helm is. I don't know why people want to take the time to try and decipher which of his injuries should be attributed to luck vs which ones show a pattern. Who cares. At some point you just have to recognize that a guys always hurt, and odds are he's going to continue to keep getting hurt.

I mean it is what it is people.

That's where you're wrong.

"Odds are he's going to continue to keep getting hurt."

Many guys have stretches of injuries that don't plague them there entire career. Many guys stay healthy for a good portion then run into injury stretches. There's no saying of predicting that a plague of injuries will continue when most of them are freak incidents. This isn't weather, there's no forecasting most of the time.

As mentioned, Kronwall was Helm early in his career. How'd that turn out? I remember people spewing the same garbage back then. Injury prone, never going to be able to stay healthy, and on and on.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Thank you Doc.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I've said it before but Helm is such a balls to the wall type player, I fear he's always going to have these problems. The guy only has one gear and he never lets up. That's a good thing except for the constant risk of injury

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I've said it before but Helm is such a balls to the wall type player, I fear he's always going to have these problems. The guy only has one gear and he never lets up. That's a good thing except for the constant risk of injury

How many of his injuries have been the result of his style of play though?

The injury that kept him out the longest didn't even occur on the ice. The second longest was the skate blade incident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad