Detroit Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Top 10

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
:laugh:

Pulkkinen does not have a future in the NHL, atleast not on the Red Wings, he'll head to KHL and be effective there and make big money, or go to a team in the NHL where a guy with his abilities could be more effective

Mantha, we don't know what will happen with him, BUT, if he reach all his potential - we would then have a 1st line ~60-90pts winger with tools we have not seen from a young player in a long time, that alone, to me, is worth having him at #1. Most of the other prospects listed in this top 10, other than Larkin, are decent/solid but does not have elite potential.

How much of this garbage is just bias because he is Finnish? He competes in all 3 zones. He is just a hair under Nyquist in AHL accomplishments. He has a ****ing money RH shot. He over the next 2 years will more than likely follow a Tatar like trajectory.

Mantha hasn't proven ****. Oh wow he kicked the **** outta a junior league. How sweet its not like every single NHL player hasn't :shakehead. While I admit he has had a rough start given the leg and all he still hasn't produced to a degree that his "ceiling" would require (.65 ppg given his situation). Just typical ******** cause he has "size''.

This is not to say he is a bust. But the absolute assumption by many here that he is automatically a ****ing all star first line winger when he has done nothing to project that trajectory is ******** and foolhardy. He needs to prove he can compete and play against grown professional men. Not be lofted to heights because he was 4-5"s taller and 20-30 lbs heavier than teenagers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bäckman was arguably one of their best defencemen in last year's playoffs. That leads me to believe it was much more a problem with adjusting to life in North America than not having the talent or weight (Almqvist, anyone?) to play there. And the way he's played in Sweden since coming back further proves he has the talent. Adding 10 pounds won't change a thing if you're not ready for the change in other ways.

Issues that come with moving to North America might not affect during a short stint like coming over for the playoff run, but when you basically move your entire life to another country those issues tend to kick in.

I hope he gives it another try next year with the help of Janmark.

He definitely has the talent, but make no mistake 175 lbs at 6'2" ain't gonna cut it long term in NA hockey.

Id rather have a skinny Backman than scrub Evans, but Holland is always going to overload the roster, so it is what it is.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
How much of this garbage is just bias because he is Finnish? He competes in all 3 zones. He is just a hair under Nyquist in AHL accomplishments. He has a ****ing money RH shot. He over the next 2 years will more than likely follow a Tatar like trajectory.

Mantha hasn't proven ****. Oh wow he kicked the **** outta a junior league. How sweet its not like every single NHL player hasn't :shakehead. While I admit he has had a rough start given the leg and all he still hasn't produced to a degree that his "ceiling" would require (.65 ppg given his situation). Just typical ******** cause he has "size''.

This is not to say he is a bust. But the absolute assumption by many here that he is automatically a ****ing all star first line winger when he has done nothing to project that trajectory is ******** and foolhardy. He needs to prove he can compete and play against grown professional men. Not be lofted to heights because he was 4-5"s taller and 20-30 lbs heavier than teenagers.

You can't for real think that what Pookie is doing now can be compared to what Mantha is doing? Pookie is 2.5 years older, you have to compare what Mantha is doing now to what Pookie was doing 2 seasons ago.

Pookie (12-13): 59 games, 34 points in Finland, 2 games, 1 point in AHL. (0.57 ppg)
Mantha (14-15): 36 games, 18 points in AHL (0.50 ppg)

That is a wash no matter how you slice it.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You can't for real think that what Pookie is doing now can be compared to what Mantha is doing? Pookie is 2.5 years older, you have to compare what Mantha is doing now to what Pookie was doing 2 seasons ago.

Pookie (12-13): 59 games, 34 points in Finland, 2 games, 1 point in AHL. (0.57 ppg)
Mantha (14-15): 36 games, 18 points in AHL (0.50 ppg)

That is a wash no matter how you slice it.

You don't compare what people are doing at comparable ages. It is who is doing x now. Pulu is having a hart worthy season in the ahl and tearing the league asunder. He has also gotten a call up. Mantha is nowhere near that level. This is not to say he couldn't one day get to that level. But he is nowhere near the ability that Pulu has demonstrated.

Which is also why for the most part why are top 5 on the pool is placed by young men that have dominated the AHL level given there respective playing styles. The one exception to this in my eyes is Larkin. But he also has a level of importance due to his position which at least to me is why he is where he is. He is a center. Centers, defenders, and goalies will generally always be rated higher than wingers. Because there respective positions are much more needed then wingers.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

So many straw men in this post, I don't know where to begin...

As for the last paragraph....Pulkinnen needs to show he can play in the NHL against real NHL defenceman who know how to take away time and space, who can be on him in the time it takes to wind up, and against goalies who aren't afraid of slap-shots.

And I hope he figures it out and has a long and successful career in the winged wheel. Truly.

Below Mantha on the depth chart :sarcasm:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
So many straw men in this post, I don't know where to begin...

As for the last paragraph....Pulkinnen needs to show he can play in the NHL against real NHL defenceman who know how to take away time and space, who can be on him in the time it takes to wind up, and against goalies who aren't afraid of slap-shots.

And I hope he figures it out and has a long and successful career in the winged wheel. Truly.

Below Mantha on the depth chart :sarcasm:

Name the straw men then and I'll defend each.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
You don't compare what people are doing at comparable ages. It is who is doing x now. Pulu is having a hart worthy season in the ahl and tearing the league asunder. He has also gotten a call up. Mantha is nowhere near that level. This is not to say he couldn't one day get to that level. But he is nowhere near the ability that Pulu has demonstrated.

Which is also why for the most part why are top 5 on the pool is placed by young men that have dominated the AHL level given there respective playing styles. The one exception to this in my eyes is Larkin. But he also has a level of importance due to his position which at least to me is why he is where he is. He is a center. Centers, defenders, and goalies will generally always be rated higher than wingers. Because there respective positions are much more needed then wingers.

Andy Miele puts up points in bunches as well, might as well lock him into a top 6 role with the Wings. Pulkkinen is an elite AHL player, there's no question. Right now, I don't see him topping out as anything more than a bottom 6 winger right now in the NHL. We are all waiting for Mantha to turn it on, and to think that most of us aren't at least mildly disappointed with the fact that he isn't tearing it up in the AHL is not true at all. I think we all set the expectations way too high. Couple that with the fact that he did break his leg before the season started and didn't get into the lineup until October, basically negating any off season training isn't helping. It's not easy to make the jump from Junior to Pro hockey, it's probably amplified greatly when you have to jump in mid season and get acclimated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With a shot like Pulkkinen's, I think he will be able to find a top 6 role somewhere. May not be here, but I think he could go somewhere else like Hudler and play in the top 6 eventually.

He has adjusted at every level. Just because he hasn't with less than 10 NHL games, doesn't mean he won't. After he adjusts there's no reason to think with that shot he can't be at least a 25 goal scorer.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If I had to bet my paycheck on which player would become the best NHLer in their prime, I would put it on Mrazek, Mantha or Larkin before Pulks.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
I think Jensen winds up playing for a decade in the NHL because of his skating. I hope it is with us, reminds me a ton of Bret Hedican. He uses that speed to go with strong fundamentals and battles each and every shift. I have him higher up than where he landed.

I always think it is his age that hurts him in these polls. There is a ton to like about his actual game.

Plus his development was delayed a year because of a shoulder injury from little Bertuzzi picking a fight with him in practice.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Teemu Pulkkinen is going to be a solid, contributing NHL player, that I have no doubt. I'll even go as far to say I'll be astonished if he doesn't carve out an NHL career.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I'm confused, I know Pulkkinen isn't a giant but he has a great shot, he's right-handed and he has scored lot of goals. I'm not saying that he's going to be a 40-50 goal scorer in NHL. But what i don't understand is that some people here wants him to fail. I don't remember that anyone wanted to see Nyquist and Tatar to fail. Next season will show if Pulkkinen have a future in Detroit or not.

Last edited:

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I'm confused, I know Pulkkinen isn't a giant but he has a great shot, he's right-handed and he has scored lot of goals. I'm not saying that he's going to be a 40-50 goal scorer in NHL. But what i don't understand is that some people here wants him to fail. I don't remember that anyone wanted to see Nyquist and Tatar to fail. Next season will show if Pulkkinen have a future in Detroit or not.
There's a difference between wanting a prospect to fail and seeing flaws in their game that makes them concerned. I don't see anyone saying there's no chance that he's going to have a very successful NHL career.

My main problem was that people were saying that he was AMAZING in his 10 games up with the Wings when he clearly struggled to carry the puck in the offensive zone effectively. I'm in no way saying that he can't adjust and translate his success in lesser leagues to the NHL with some time, but there are things he need to work on.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013

By that logic, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, Nyquist, Howard and Kronwall are by a wide margin the best prospects we have. They are all playing a lot better than any of the guys we have been voting for.

To evaluate the quality of a prospect you have to consider what they can become, not what they are. What a player can become is mostly extrapolated from how the player compares to players of the same age in the same situation. Pulkinen and Mantha can no more be compared for what they do right now than they could 2 years ago when Mantha scored more goals than Pulkinen had points.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Mantha being #1 is just straight up classless and disrespectful to Pulu. Kid can't even produce at .5 ppg and he gets propped up for having huge #'s against teenagers but gets turned out against men and can't even maintain a top 6 spot.

Meanwhile Pulu gets a call up and is just a hair under Gus's #'s right before he became a full time wing 1.34 ppg. And he is on pace in his second year to take down the AHL Hart Trophy.

If I was good with computers right here would be a Stevin A. Smith gif.
Pulkkinen's NHL stint was a bit sobering - similar to Mantha's AHL production. Surely the long injury was very detrimental to Mantha, so I understand why many give him the benefit of a doubt. Frankly, I do not remember if I voted for him as #1 prospect.

The top 10 seem very plausible to me (Marchenko might have been a bit higher if his NHL stint had begun earlier) - and it is similar to HF's ranking, by the way. However, I think equally or even more impressive would be the list of prospects ranked #11 - #20, since it shows the huge depth in Detroit's pool with Bäckman, Holmström and Janmark all having good SHL seasons, remarkable junior players Nastasiuk, Turgeon, Hicketts and Paterson, KHL regular Kadeykin and some more. Therefore I am a bit disappointed that voting stops here...

Gruß,
BSHH

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I am as big of a Pulkkinen skeptic as this board has, but even I will admit that he is an NHL player and I certainly am not hoping that he fails. All players have weaknesses and they are certainly worth talking about because they will impact what a guy like Pulks can do at the NHL level.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Pulkkinen's NHL stint was a bit sobering - similar to Mantha's AHL production. Surely the long injury was very detrimental to Mantha, so I understand why many give him the benefit of a doubt. Frankly, I do not remember if I voted for him as #1 prospect.

The top 10 seem very plausible to me (Marchenko might have been a bit higher if his NHL stint had begun earlier) - and it is similar to HF's ranking, by the way. However, I think equally or even more impressive would be the list of prospects ranked #11 - #20, since it shows the huge depth in Detroit's pool with Bäckman, Holmström and Janmark all having good SHL seasons, remarkable junior players Nastasiuk, Turgeon, Hicketts and Paterson, KHL regular Kadeykin and some more. Therefore I am a bit disappointed that voting stops here...

Gruß,
BSHH

Outside of generational talents, and #1 draft picks (not picked by Edmonton) who actually gives a big enough flash of players they are to show the whole picture in there first 20-30 games? No one does. You might get a glimmer of X on a case by case basis but you do not see where and how they will grow as players.

But that also is not 100% foolproof either. Look at Mackinnon this year now that there is tape on him. Nowhere near as effective as he was last year. Ekblad has done really well this year but at the same time the book isn't out on him yet. There could be enough to draw some conclusions to how he plays and how to attack him but coaches don't have enough to implement systems/strategies specifically designed to exploit him either. Next year is when his challenge will come because there will be enough data to make a plan against him.

A player solidified in the AHL still has to weather a storm of a jump in talent at the next level. So there is a learning process. The wings way also waits more often than not for a level of physical maturity as well (most often 22-23 is when prospects our given chances). Most prospects to get at least a bare minimum of a handle on the league need around 50 games to adjust accordingly.

So giving Mantha a free pass when he hasn't even gotten the adjustment period of the hardest league in the world is ********. He has just made 1 talent jump and still has the most important to go through. And he hasn't even proven (you know what the Red Wings demand of each kid to dominate there roles before they are moved up) to be a consistent top 6 contributer in the AHL setting.

Meanwhile Pulu has kicked the AHL's ass. He is a constant producer of offense. He has worked significantly on his 2 way game. And he is in the top echelon of the entirety of Ahl. He has proven everything that has been expected of him by the organization barring one thing (being the guy in the playoffs but that hasn't happened yet due to the season isn't at its climax yet).

And please understand Pulu isn't my #1 either. However he has proven more than Mantha. And he should be in my opinion given the nod over a kid that hasn't done much. Pulu is in my personal rankings #3. He is behind Petr, and Xavier in that order. Marchenko is at 4 and Larkin is at 5.

By that logic, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, Nyquist, Howard and Kronwall are by a wide margin the best prospects we have. They are all playing a lot better than any of the guys we have been voting for.

To evaluate the quality of a prospect you have to consider what they can become, not what they are. What a player can become is mostly extrapolated from how the player compares to players of the same age in the same situation. Pulkinen and Mantha can no more be compared for what they do right now than they could 2 years ago when Mantha scored more goals than Pulkinen had points.

What kind of nonsense is this Datsyuk, Z, Howard, and Kronwall are proven veteran Nhl players. Tatar and Nyquist are much younger but are producing at .70--.75 ppg rates which by purely production would mean they are both first line forwards.

In your second paragraph thanks you just proved that you have the bias that most have on this forum but aren't willing to admit. At the same age Pulu was in a mens league against competition and did so at a rate that he probably unfairly drew comparisons to Selanne. However Mantha was in a kid league dwarfing over his competition by natural genetics.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Gruß,
BSHH

We will do the longer one in the off-season, like we have been doing the last several summers.

We have enough Wings talk in season and quite frankly to go down the whole way is a couple month process, we don't need to be doing this for a third of the year in my opinion. I said anyone could take up the call later, but I just thought in season Top 10 was enough.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Look in the Pulks vs Mantha argument I think that there are two points of view. The first is that Pulks production suggests that he'll be a seriously good NHL winger and is already almost there. I think it's impossible argue that Mantha is better if you think of Pulks in this way. My problem with Pulks is that his game does have flaws and I don't really see there being much chance he works them out. He's still not fast, and he's still undersized. He has underrated playmaking skills but in all honesty his shot is his main tool. A lot of the video has him using it from way far out and unless there's a screen many of Pulks' AHL goals would never go in past an NHL goalie. These flaws scare people so we rate him a bit lower. He has bust potential.

Mantha is a different beast. We still have little more than potential. He has flaws and srtengths both of which are improving and both of which he'll continue to improve. It's really hard to say how good he'll be, but his upside is high enough that everyone rates him pretty highly.

In my opinion the holes in Pulks' game are large enough that Mantha's upside makes him the more highly rated prospect. However that Pulks is almost done developing whereas Mantha has years to go to maybe hit his potential is a good argument and I recognize that it might be smarter. Most people prefer Mantha because of his upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad