3.) Petr Mrázek 22, G: 6'2" 183 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 77.01%
4.) Dylan Larkin 18, C: 6'1" 214 lbs. Waterford, MI, USA 56.25%
5.) Teemu Pulkkinen 23, RW: 5'10: 185 lbs. Vantaa, FIN 87.50%
6.) Ryan Sproul 22, RD: 6'3" 205 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 34.41%
7.) Andreas Athanasiou 20, C/LW: 6'2" 201 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 50.53%
8.) Alexey Marchenko 23, RD: 6'2" 212 lbs. Moskva, RUS 77.46%
9.) Tyler Bertuzzi 19, LW: 6'1" 190 lbs. Sudbury, ON, CAN 40.00%
10.) Nick Jensen 24, RD: 6'0" 200 lbs. Rogers, MN, USA 36.23%

Nick Jensen finished out an impressive looking Top 10 for our mid-season polling. The longer off-season one will go up after the NHL draft.

But I figure making this a thread that drives discussion isn't a bad idea. Who do you think is too high? Too low? Missing?

Pretty happy with this group. A lot of rock solid athletes with some size here.

The present is great and just like the last two and half decades the future looks bright as well.

Discuss.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I personally have Backman slightly above Jensen but none the less a good player. I'm pretty high on Backman and Holmstrom. Not sure who the add is but id go with Kadeykin.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think this is pretty much our top 10 as far as whose there. Maybe a few guys switch places but overall, a pretty accurate group. Some notable missing prospects are Janmark and Backman but I'm not sure who they'd replace, so again, I think it came out fairly close.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Its funny but of all the guys not listed in the top 10 plus Jensen, I think Nastisuk(sp) is the one with the highest chance of actually making it to the NHL and making a career of it.

Its determination, leadership and grit will serve him well and I expect to see him before and for longer then any of the others not listed as well as Jensen as a mainstain in detroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Jensen winds up playing for a decade in the NHL because of his skating. I hope it is with us, reminds me a ton of Bret Hedican. He uses that speed to go with strong fundamentals and battles each and every shift. I have him higher up than where he landed.

I always think it is his age that hurts him in these polls. There is a ton to like about his actual game.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Its funny but of all the guys not listed in the top 10 plus Jensen, I think Nastisuk(sp) is the one with the highest chance of actually making it to the NHL and making a career of it.

Its determination, leadership and grit will serve him well and I expect to see him before and for longer then any of the others not listed as well as Jensen as a mainstain in detroit

I vote with a combination of upside of and probability of meeting upside.

That said, Janmark.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Mantha being #1 is just straight up classless and disrespectful to Pulu. Kid can't even produce at .5 ppg and he gets propped up for having huge #'s against teenagers but gets turned out against men and can't even maintain a top 6 spot.

Meanwhile Pulu gets a call up and is just a hair under Gus's #'s right before he became a full time wing 1.34 ppg. And he is on pace in his second year to take down the AHL Hart Trophy.

If I was good with computers right here would be a Stevin A. Smith gif.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mantha being #1 is just straight up classless and disrespectful to Pulu. Kid can't even produce at .5 ppg and he gets propped up for having huge #'s against teenagers but gets turned out against men and can't even maintain a top 6 spot.

Meanwhile Pulu gets a call up and is just a hair under Gus's #'s right before he became a full time wing 1.34 ppg. And he is on pace in his second year to take down the AHL Hart Trophy.

Some people rate a prospects top end they'll hit, others are judging on how well they've done so far. The idea is that in 3 years, people who vote for Mantha, are saying he'll be better.

As for me, my #1 is Larkin. He's the last guy I'd trade from that list.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Some people rate a prospects top end they'll hit, others are judging on how well they've done so far. The idea is that in 3 years, people who vote for Mantha, are saying he'll be better.

As for me, my #1 is Larkin. He's the last guy I'd trade from that list.

I understand ceiling is a factor in rankings Bench. But when a player is producing around 250% of the "#1" and also carries the same projection (top 6 winger) I really dislike the push aside.

At the same time I understand why him and Larkin would be in the top 5 but not before a future #1 goalie, top 4 d, or top 6 winger further along in there development arc's. I also hope that Larkin is the future #1 center but I understand in both players cases they have a long way to go.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I believe that any one of Holmstrom, Janmark, or Backman should have gotten the nod over Jensen for the 10 spot. While Jensen may be an excellent skater who has a good hockey iq, he is already 24 and will probably not top out than anything more than a 5/6. I think the other 3 names I mentioned have a higher potential, all while producing well (Except Backman when he was in the AHL, but he has been producing very well since going back to Sweden).

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I believe that any one of Holmstrom, Janmark, or Marchenko should have gotten the nod over Jensen for the 10 spot. While Jensen may be an excellent skater who has a good hockey iq, he is already 24 and will probably not top out than anything more than a 5/6. I think the other 3 names I mentioned have a higher potential, all while producing well (Except Marchenko when he was in the AHL, but he has been producing very well since going back to Sweden).

Marchenko is #8, did you mean Backman?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes, my bad. Long day. I did mean Backman. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jensen badly outplayed him this year. It isn't just that Backman absconded back to Sweden to impact this for me. He didn't look good before he seemingly threw in the towel. He has to compete with those guys to beat them out for a roster spot and ice time. He might have higher potential though he is still rail thin and just didn't look good at the type of game he is going to need to play to make it in North American hockey.

We will see, I think he could make a very interesting asset at the deadline, because he has to be in Grand Rapids to win a job and he seems unwilling to do it. No amount of crushing it in Sweden is going to do that for me unless he gains 20 lbs to give me some reason to believe when he comes back over he will look better at the style of hockey he will be demanded to play.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Jensen badly outplayed him this year. It isn't just that Backman absconded back to Sweden to impact this for me. He didn't look good before he seemingly threw in the towel. He has to compete with those guys to beat them out for a roster spot and ice time. He might have higher potential though he is still rail thin and just didn't look good at the type of game he is going to need to play to make it in North American hockey.

We will see, I think he could make a very interesting asset at the deadline, because he has to be in Grand Rapids to win a job and he seems unwilling to do it. No amount of crushing it in Sweden is going to do that for me unless he gains 20 lbs to give me some reason to believe when he comes back over he will look better at the style of hockey he will be demanded to play.

Fair point, and I actually agree with a lot that you have said. Backman definitely did not do too well in the minutes he was given in Grand Rapids, and it is definitely fair to question his mental fortitude after going back to Sweden so soon. And while Backman's weight may be a concern, I don't know if it's his weight that is holding him back.

I personally would be ok with dealing him at the deadline, but the fact still remains that Backman does have the potential to be a good #4 defensemen, who can play on the 2nd PP unit. I am still very intrigued by that potential, and that's why I have him ranked higher than Jensen. Detroit doesn't need anymore 5-7 defenseman.

In the end though, it's very possible that neither of them ever become long-term fixtures in Detroit's lineup anyway.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think Baby Homer is missing from our top 10. He posted just as many points at the WCJs as Larkin. Should be higher than Jensen, who is at best going to be our 6/7 dman.

His skating is still too big of an issue for me to place him in the top 10. I think he is athletic, but he has a **** ton of work to do with his skating and I am not going to assume it gets done.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I understand ceiling is a factor in rankings Bench. But when a player is producing around 250% of the "#1" and also carries the same projection (top 6 winger) I really dislike the push aside.

Gotta take years and age into account. I expect a 23 year old who played a bunch of years in a *pro* league and has spent a full year in the AHL to be better than a 20 year old kid who never played in a pro league and just started his first year in the AHL. It's a pretty steep learning curve.

That said, Teemu did have one hell of a first year in the AHL. Which again, I attribute at least partly to his having played for a while in the Finnish pro league. Mantha played against boys, many of whom he overaged. Teemu played in a men's league, to borrow a phrase from Holland.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

One of them is 23, and one of them is 20. They play in the same league, but with that developmental gap, you should not be comparing their production head to head. That is silly.

Also Mantha had a far from ideal start to his season, with a broken leg.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, but personally it's the most disappointing for me that we are no longer collectively considering Backman a top 10 prospect. This was a guy I thought had really high potential, and a guy that Hakan regularly liked to compare to Alex Edler. I really hope he is not done here as a player, especially since he is playing well in Sweden. Really think we could have managed the AHL/NHL roster's better to open up a spot so we don't spend the first two months of the season with either Backman or Sproul scratched every night. But like it is with a lot of these Swedish guys, it is absolutely essential that he puts on weight, if he is to come back to NA next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, but personally it's the most disappointing for me that we are no longer collectively considering Backman a top 10 prospect. This was a guy I thought had really high potential, and a guy that Hakan regularly liked to compare to Alex Edler. I really hope he is not done here as a player, especially since he is playing well in Sweden. Really think we could have managed the AHL/NHL roster's better to open up a spot so we don't spend the first two months of the season with either Backman or Sproul scratched every night. But like it is with a lot of these Swedish guys, it is absolutely essential that he puts on weight, if he is to come back to NA next year.

Backman has a good stick and physicality isn't his game. However, this has always made the Edler comparisons dubious. I can see some of the offensive stuff, especially in terms of puck movement. Edler possess a booming shot, is 6'4" and 220 lbs and likes to staple guys to the boards. Hakan is Hakan and certainly to disagree with him calls into question any legitimate point I want to make, but seriously Edler?:laugh:

Again the Backman thing isn't just the leaving. Sure you would like to think they could have worked him into the lineup, left Evans out and signed a heavy forward to enforce. The fact remains though Backman didn't exactly not deserve his benching in terms of play. He wasn't very good, he struggled with the forecheck, was weak in the corners and he wasn't providing a whole lot of offensive punch. As good as he looked in his post-season stint last year he was equally as bad this season. He came in unprepared, now the fact he was the lone Swede was probably tough on him and certainly unusual lately in GR. But he didn't do himself any favors and I have a hard time placing him above teammates that outclassed him this season. His tumble for me is justified. While weight isn't everything in his game, that frame is an issue at this point in time, even if he doesn't want a lot of contact, he cannot be adverse to it and he was for most of his stay in NA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Backman has a good stick and physicality isn't his game. However, this has always made the Edler comparisons dubious. I can see some of the offensive stuff, especially in terms of puck movement. Edler possess a booming shot, is 6'4" and 220 lbs and likes to staple guys to the boards. Hakan is Hakan and certainly to disagree with him calls into question any legitimate point I want to make, but seriously Edler?:laugh:

Again the Backman thing isn't just the leaving. Sure you would like to think they could have worked him into the lineup, left Evans out and signed a heavy forward to enforce. The fact remains though Backman didn't exactly not deserve his benching in terms of play. He wasn't very good, he struggled with the forecheck, was weak in the corners and he wasn't providing a whole lot of offensive punch. As good as he looked in his post-season stint last year he was equally as bad this season. He came in unprepared, now the fact he was the lone Swede was probably tough on him and certainly unusual lately in GR. But he didn't do himself any favors and I have a hard time placing him above teammates that outclassed him this season. His tumble for me is justified. While weight isn't everything in his game, that frame is an issue at this point in time, even if he doesn't want a lot of contact, he cannot be adverse to it and he was for most of his stay in NA.

Did not realize Edler was that tall or heavy, to be honest. Good Lord. Stupid Canucks for stealing him from us.

Totally agree with your last sentence. He probably needs to get to at least like 185-190 IMO, and he's like 10 lbs away at least, I think still.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

:laugh:

Pulkkinen does not have a future in the NHL, atleast not on the Red Wings, he'll head to KHL and be effective there and make big money, or go to a team in the NHL where a guy with his abilities could be more effective

Mantha, we don't know what will happen with him, BUT, if he reach all his potential - we would then have a 1st line ~60-90pts winger with tools we have not seen from a young player in a long time, that alone, to me, is worth having him at #1. Most of the other prospects listed in this top 10, other than Larkin, are decent/solid but does not have elite potential.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Bäckman was arguably one of their best defencemen in last year's playoffs. That leads me to believe it was much more a problem with adjusting to life in North America than not having the talent or weight (Almqvist, anyone?) to play there. And the way he's played in Sweden since coming back further proves he has the talent. Adding 10 pounds won't change a thing if you're not ready for the change in other ways.

Issues that come with moving to North America might not affect during a short stint like coming over for the playoff run, but when you basically move your entire life to another country those issues tend to kick in.

I hope he gives it another try next year with the help of Janmark.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
:laugh:

Pulkkinen does not have a future in the NHL, atleast not on the Red Wings, he'll head to KHL and be effective there and make big money, or go to a team in the NHL where a guy with his abilities could be more effective

Mantha, we don't know what will happen with him, BUT, if he reach all his potential - we would then have a 1st line ~60-90pts winger with tools we have not seen from a young player in a long time, that alone, to me, is worth having him at #1. Most of the other prospects listed in this top 10, other than Larkin, are decent/solid but does not have elite potential.

I strongly disagree with that. What exactly is your reasoning behind writing off a player who has had so much success at every league he's played in?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I strongly disagree with that. What exactly is your reasoning behind writing off a player who has had so much success at every league he's played in?

One-dimensional + Negative size = Bad combo for success in the NHL, especially the red wings where you need to be a 200ft complete player.

Pulkkinen has his slapshot, good on powerplay etc, but not complete... Question is if he can become complete, with his lack of size, it's more difficult, I don't think he will succeed here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad