Detroit Red Wings Goaltending is Key to Win Streak

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
This is obvious. The second biggest factor has been scoring goals.

Mrazek was a god last night. Incredible.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
"This season’s preseason projections once again saw many experts predicting the Red Wings playoff streak coming to an end. Many of these experts said the streak would continue if the goaltending for the Red Wings was elite. Through seven games, that is exactly how Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek have played."

Read the full article

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/10/27/goaltending-key-to-win-streak-for-wings/

What a profound analysis by a Captain Obvious! Yes, good goaltending matters.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
This is obvious. The second biggest factor has been scoring goals.

I'm guessing you were joking, but after last season's scoring struggles, being 6th overall in the league in scoring is a major positive shift for the team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
is the snark really necessary folks?

- - -

I think the article brings up something that isn't being talked about a lot and it's how much goaltending has carried us right now. Mrazek and Howard not only cover up for defensive mistakes, but allows us to gamble a bit more to generate the offense that has helped push us to this win streak.

asking what's going to happen when our goaltending returns to earth a bit is a very valid question.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I'm guessing you were joking, but after last season's scoring struggles, being 6th overall in the league in scoring is a major positive shift for the team.

I wasn't joking. It's been a huge factor.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
asking what's going to happen when our goaltending returns to earth a bit is a very valid question.

Well, that's a bit misleading though, right? For his career Mrazek has a 2.30 GAA and a .921 sv%. Right now he has a 2.48 and a .925. It's not like Mrazek is playing wildly above what he's done his whole career.

All that is really under discussion here is how the Wings will do when their backup goalie returns to earth. His play is the reason the teams goaltending stats are off the charts good, and he stole one game for the team while being great in another they won by 3 goals. If he was only decent in both the team would be 1-1 instead of 2-0.

In that much more accurate context, I think a concern the team will suffer when Howard's play dips is, I suppose, a fair albeit nit-pickyish one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/05/jeff_salajko_good_fit_as_red_w.html

Jeff Salajko could be THE real deal.

- Griffins had best team SV% at AHL at last season (all goalies combined, mostly Coreau + McCollum)
- Mrazek is his 3-year long-term product (Vezina candidate on his greatest form, imo easily)
- so far he has done almost miracles when working with this reclamation project called Jimmy Howard...

Just great results with every individual he coaches.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well, that's a bit misleading though, right? For his career Mrazek has a 2.30 GAA and a .921 sv%. Right now he has a 2.48 and a .925. It's not like Mrazek is playing wildly above what he's done his whole career.

All that is really under discussion here is how the Wings will do when their backup goalie returns to earth. His play is the reason the teams goaltending stats are off the charts good, and he stole one game for the team while being great in another they won by 3 goals. If he was only decent in both the team would be 1-1 instead of 2-0.

In that much more accurate context, I think a concern the team will suffer when Howard's play dips is, I suppose, a fair albeit nit-pickyish one.
Exactly, Mrazek has not been better than expected. His first few games had some soft goals. Howard will come down to earth a bit but it's only been 2 games, one mediocre start and his stats look reasonable again.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Can any team really rely on the same dominant factor for the whole season?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
"This season’s preseason projections once again saw many experts predicting the Red Wings playoff streak coming to an end. Many of these experts said the streak would continue if the goaltending for the Red Wings was elite. Through seven games, that is exactly how Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek have played."

Read the full article

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/10/27/goaltending-key-to-win-streak-for-wings/

Well,the main reason why the wings have struggled last 1-4 seasons is bad or not good goaltending. Many have disagreed with me on this board, and I got a lot of heat, but I think that was my opinion.
I do not think it is so fatastic, it was atrocious,so now it looks fantastic as a matter of fact it is fantastic. Awkwardly worded by me, but you get me.
And mrazek was badish in 1st 2 games.
Best goalie tandem in the league!

Come trade for Jimmy!
Best goaltandem after the bolts.
Edit. Sorry I meant Habs
is the snark really necessary folks?

- - -

I think the article brings up something that isn't being talked about a lot and it's how much goaltending has carried us right now. Mrazek and Howard not only cover up for defensive mistakes, but allows us to gamble a bit more to generate the offense that has helped push us to this win streak.

I disagree. I do not think Howard has to cool off or down. He will not maintain this sv% and gaa all season long, but I do not care if he wins 1-0 with .975 or 5-4 with .890 as long as the team wins. I strongly believe that playing fewer games can save his career ans relive his career.

Mrazek has played his self, but Howard has played lights out. I do not expect him to maintain these numbers, but I expect him to keep winning and playing great.

Exactly, Mrazek has not been better than expected. His first few games had some soft goals. Howard will come down to earth a bit but it's only been 2 games, one mediocre start and his stats look reasonable again.
Howard will play great all season long.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Really? good news. I kinda doubt he posts the best numbers in NHL history though. Anything above a .910sv% would be excellent from him.

He will play even better. Every start he will post a so.:yo:

Joking aside, I think Howard has it what it takes to be very good/great, he just needs some to set his head in the right place, settle his ego, take the pressure off and he will be fine.
I have seen Howard carrying this team and winning games we had no business winning. The main reason Howard's career went to toilet is Babcock . Babcock played Howard way too much, he played him in back to back games when Howard had to work hard to win games. We know how it ended. Howard wore out his body,it could not keep up and then came the mental exhaustion and Howard played like crap.
Now he is back on his game. He looks confident, his body language is great and being a backup is just what he needs. Whether he steals the starting job from Mrazek or find a starting position somewhere else is to be seen.
I think he can keep around .920 easily.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can any team really rely on the same dominant factor for the whole season?

Sure. Elite centers like Crosby. Or defenders like Doughty. Very safe bets to be factors every night. Wings used to do this with Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc. Goaltending was an afterthought to those teams, usually.

That isn't to say elite goaltending isn't important or a huge edge. But goalies are reactive and not proactive.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

except in wins this year Mrazek has a .945 sv%. For us to win he's had to play well above his career average. Maybe he'll string together a season where he'll win 40 games with a .945 sv% and lose 20 with an .889 sv% but I'm betting both those numbers move toward the middle a bit. Can we keep winning with a very good Mrazek rather than a Vezina Mrazek? Right now, I don't think any of us can know or reliably guess.

And,yeah, there's that question of Howard being reliable all season, too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
except in wins this year Mrazek has a .945 sv%. For us to win he's had to play well above his career average. Maybe he'll string together a season where he'll win 40 games with a .945 sv% and lose 20 with an .889 sv% but I'm betting both those numbers move toward the middle a bit. Can we keep winning with a very good Mrazek rather than a Vezina Mrazek? Right now, I don't think any of us can know or reliably guess.

And,yeah, there's that question of Howard being reliable all season, too.

We've seen this play out with the Rangers and Lundqvist. Your goalie can erase soooo much, but there's a hard cap when your defense doesn't deliver consistently.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
8 (EIGHT) Wings, SH% over 20%,...TWO! over 30%

Wings are playing as a team, for each other, & as 5-man unitd...cohesiveness!

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
TOP 12 Shooting %

Green 33.3%

Vanek, 30.8%
"NO PANIC IN VANEK", you heard it here 1st

Helm 28.6%

DDK 25%

AA 25%

Drew 22%

Nyke 20%

Gator 20%

Franz Nienstien 15.3%

Larkin 8.3%

TT 4.2%

Big E 0.00%

It's almost like they've played eight games and several players have about three shots.
What the hell is this stat supposed to say right now?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
**** ain't sustainable, baybay.

Of course it isn't.

But most early season stats are stupid because they're averages and outliers move it big time.
That stat tells you precisely nothing other than the fact that one specific guy on the Wings wasn't dominating the shot count

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad