• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All you have to do is watch Lundqvist now and compare to how he played earlier in the year and you can stop all the “it was the defense hank had no chance” bull. Night and day difference when you get elite NHL quality goaltending. He was a joke last year and even worse to start this season. Now can he keep it up? If he can we are a top team in the very open East. I have said this for years but hank needs to play ALOT and even more so now that he’s older. It may sound counterproductive for an older guy but goalies need reps. I’d play him as much as possible. Like I said around 67 68 games if healthy.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
We are in the playoffs by a point, and tomorrow we might not be in the playoffs.

I think blow it up is a mischaracterization. We aren't as Colorado bad or Buffalo bad, but this team could still be in position to miss the playoffs, and if that happens, does it make more sense to keep McDonagh and Zuccarello than to trade them when they'll only have a year left after this season on their contracts? You can make practical decisions like that without trying to get rid of your whole roster. If we aren't going to make the playoffs, Nash, Grabner, Holden all gotta go, and I think they will.

If you get in the playoffs anything can happen and this team certainly can make the playoffs. Last year Ottawa was not seen as a contender yet they took Pitt to double overtime in game 7 and were this close to making it to the finals. Nashville was 8th seed and the lowest seeded playoff team and they made it to the finals. Get in and anything can happen and the rangers can certainly get in.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zucc is the heart and soul of this team and if he was traded this team would regret it. McDonagh is going nowhere also. ....

They'd regret it more if they could have gotten an appreciable asset for each/either, bird in the hand so to speak, and either/both MIGHT decide to re-sign o cheap sweetheart deal.

We are obviously less a team with either diminished from the roster, but atst [at the same time] if the Martians kidnapped these guys, not counting assets we'd have in return, we could expect Chytil to replace Zuc as offense sparkplug. McD would be harder but we can get by as we more importantly BUILD.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Vasilevskiy is. Also, I think this year is (finally) Hellebuycks coming out party.

If I mentioned two Russians I'd be called out as biased. Plus, Vasilevskiy's (and Hellbuck for that matter) sample size is not big enough yet. It could be just a long stretch.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
`Too much turkey in 1st period`- quoted Zucc from his interview. So easy to be a fan of Zucc, because he is so honest. He is not afraid to admit he a bad game or season so far even though he had 14 pts earlier, or when the team struggle to perform he usually say how the situation is.

If we move Nash & Zucc not sure who will replace them though - a future pick is not a good way to do it for the remaining players, because it will change too much dynamic of the team and an important role on the shutdown line. It`s understandable if u look at the beginning of this season with Stepan & Oscar gone and Fast was injured.

Are we going to keep Miller & Hayes who did not show up in last year playoffs and questions like that - both Chytil & Lias can play in Hayes position probably early as next year with ELC contracts?

There are lot of questions and unknown future, and some rather difficult decisions for Gorton, and how well he and the team will do in the next 3 years is crucial for Gorton as GM too as long the President and Franchise aiming for playoffs each year.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They'd regret it more if they could have gotten an appreciable asset for each/either, bird in the hand so to speak, and either/both MIGHT decide to re-sign o cheap sweetheart deal.

We are obviously less a team with either diminished from the roster, but atst [at the same time] if the Martians kidnapped these guys, not counting assets we'd have in return, we could expect Chytil to replace Zuc as offense sparkplug. McD would be harder but we can get by as we more importantly BUILD.

I don't want to trade either because they both mean a lot to this team. The Rangers are building, they are just not breaking it down nor should they. Andersson, Chytil, ADA, and others could be significant contributors to an already established core in the near future. Why can't we have both Chytil and Zucc on the team? It is my opinion that this team will absolutely regret moving Zucc if that happens. He brings a lot on and off the ice and bleeds blue and that does mean something to the makeup of this team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't want to trade either because they both mean a lot to this team. The Rangers are building, they are just not breaking it down nor should they. Andersson, Chytil, ADA, and others could be significant contributors to an already established core in the near future. Why can't we have both Chytil and Zucc on the team? It is my opinion that this team will absolutely regret moving Zucc if that happens. He brings a lot on and off the ice and bleeds blue and that does mean something to the makeup of this team.

Neither is enough to = likely cup win.
The honest truth is we must add quality assets. Sooner than later would help, but the degree of quality is more important,

Best scenario is to hope for a repeat of Chapman to Yankees.

Have our cake AND eat it too.

But we may lose these guys if they want, as they deserve, to get paid.

So it is best to lose the instant gratification and add the assets in hand.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think because of a bad start many don't see the quality of this team. We predicted a lot of issues on offense that weren't going to be compensated by an improvement on defense. Again, need to mention that bad start - when offense struggled 5x5, when defense became softer than Swish cheese and making mistakes and when Henrik struggled which was suspected to be an "elite-ending".

What can we see now in the November stretch that, btw, included 2-game losing streak and team's response? Well, I don't think we need to lament losing Stepan as Zibanejad, Miller and Hayes are doing quite well as top9 centers. Defense cleaned up its act a lot and there's young depth that needs an opportunity to get tested, but even the current (healthy) top6 is pretty good. Henrik is King Henrik again.

Not much to complain about. I say if they add a legitimate top6 forward (how I hope that it is Chytil!!!!) and AV will not try to do something stupid, these Rangers could be again up there, at least among top8 teams in the NHL.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Neither is enough to = likely cup win.
The honest truth is we must add quality assets. Sooner than later would help, but the degree of quality is more important,

Best scenario is to hope for a repeat of Chapman to Yankees.

Have our cake AND eat it too.

But we may lose these guys if they want, as they deserve, to get paid.

So it is best to lose the instant gratification and add the assets in hand.

If we start to evaluate each Ranger player this way @bernmeister - we can start tanking right away with a complete rebuild, because we don`t have a McDavid or Stamkos to build around at the moment.
Nash is probably moved due to market value, but not sure about Zucc yet since he is only 30, and some years younger version. And not sure who will play Lias or Chytil better without Zucc and question like that who will probably end up with Zucc & Miller line if AV continue to use them together.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you get in the playoffs anything can happen and this team certainly can make the playoffs. Last year Ottawa was not seen as a contender yet they took Pitt to double overtime in game 7 and were this close to making it to the finals. Nashville was 8th seed and the lowest seeded playoff team and they made it to the finals. Get in and anything can happen and the rangers can certainly get in.

You are right, we should trade Buchnevich, Skjei, Chytil, Shestyorkin because "anything can happen". ;)

Thats a bad strategy, and its one Gorton employed a few years ago in his first year as Rangers GM. Should've traded Yandle, didn't, instead added Eric Staal, and lost a ton of assets in that failed attempt at the Cup.

There are no bonus points for falling short. You either have a good enough team to win the Cup or you don't. If you think you don't, you should not make reckless decisions, you need to do whats in the best interest of making the team a Cup Contender. The type of logic you are employing is exactly what happened in 2016.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
You are right, we should trade Buchnevich, Skjei, Chytil, Shestyorkin because "anything can happen". ;)

Thats a bad strategy, and its one Gorton employed a few years ago in his first year as Rangers GM. Should've traded Yandle, didn't, instead added Eric Staal, and lost a ton of assets in that failed attempt at the Cup.

There are no bonus points for falling short. You either have a good enough team to win the Cup or you don't. If you think you don't, you should not make reckless decisions, you need to do whats in the best interest of making the team a Cup Contender. The type of logic you are employing is exactly what happened in 2016.
Literally no one is saying this, but why should a team contending for the playoffs after a horrid start to the season like we had trade away our two best players. So we suck and possibly have a chance at Dhalin which our chance would be minimal anyway since we are actually a pretty good team unlike a Florida or an Arizona or Buffalo. Like I understand possibly trading off vets and ufa's like Nash, Holden, or even Grabs but there is no good reason to get rid of the teams best defenseman by far and their top foward whose popular with both the fans and the players. If a McD or Zuc trade goes down it makes sense to be an offseason move it just makes no sense to destroy any chance this season because we got "a good return".

Reactions: Rangers_23

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

So your logic is you either win the cup or you suck. My point is you have to be in it to win it. Nobody and I mean nobody thought Nashville would make it to finals as they had a flawed team during the season but they got in and had a great run. Ottawa was another team that overachieved and had a great run. It is too early to determine how good this team really is. I believe it's more like the team that has won 9 of 11 than the team that started so poorly and there is nobody in the east that can't be beat including Tampa.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Most fun game to watch so far this season, easily.

The Rangers could win 20 in a row and some would still advocate for blowing it up.

If you're a fan of a team like Buffalo, you root to blow it up. Otherwise, you keep marching forward.

That doesn't mean if you can make a great trade, you don't, but looking to dump when your team is competitive makes zero sense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Literally no one is saying this, but why should a team contending for the playoffs after a horrid start to the season like we had trade away our two best players. So we suck and possibly have a chance at Dhalin which our chance would be minimal anyway since we are actually a pretty good team unlike a Florida or an Arizona or Buffalo. Like I understand possibly trading off vets and ufa's like Nash, Holden, or even Grabs but there is no good reason to get rid of the teams best defenseman by far and their top foward whose popular with both the fans and the players. If a McD or Zuc trade goes down it makes sense to be an offseason move it just makes no sense to destroy any chance this season because we got "a good return".

There is a good reason, you just don't accept it, and its grounded by the mindset that "anything can happen" and that we'll magically turn into the Stanley Cup winner when this as bad of a team as we've had any of the last 5 or so seasons, and we didn't win the Cup any of those seasons either, so we have even less of a chance this year, we might not even make the playoffs.

We can get better value for McDonagh and Zuccarello at the trade deadline than in the offseason, an extra half season of control for the teams acquiring these players. Zuccarello needs to be traded, if he's not giving us a great deal on his next contract, and the decision on McDonagh has to be made at the trade deadline. Maybe we end up not trading him if we don't get the deal that we want, but you can't kick the can down the road on a McDonagh trade because if we do end up trading him eventually, we won't maximize his value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So your logic is you either win the cup or you suck. My point is you have to be in it to win it. Nobody and I mean nobody thought Nashville would make it to finals as they had a flawed team during the season but they got in and had a great run. Ottawa was another team that overachieved and had a great run. It is too early to determine how good this team really is. I believe it's more like the team that has won 9 of 11 than the team that started so poorly and there is nobody in the east that can't be beat including Tampa.

Suck? Where did I say you either win or you sick? I said there are no bonus points for not winning, so the examples brought up of teams that failed don't matter. Give me an example of these teams that won it, you can't give many. The dynasties in the NHL win it nearly every year. There's rarely ever any surprises nowadays. 8 of the last 9 have been won by the 3 dynasties of the NHL the last 10 years. So this "anything can happen" logic is not a good argument. "Anything can happen" is very low percentage, and will not give us a high percentage chance in a few years, if we keep making low percentage chances and not giving ourselves the chance at a high percentage chance in a few years.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
There is a good reason, you just don't accept it, and its grounded by the mindset that "anything can happen" and that we'll magically turn into the Stanley Cup winner when this as bad of a team as we've had any of the last 5 or so seasons, and we didn't win the Cup any of those seasons either, so we have even less of a chance this year, we might not even make the playoffs.

We can get better value for McDonagh and Zuccarello at the trade deadline than in the offseason, an extra half season of control for the teams acquiring these players. Zuccarello needs to be traded, if he's not giving us a great deal on his next contract, and the decision on McDonagh has to be made at the trade deadline. Maybe we end up not trading him if we don't get the deal that we want, but you can't kick the can down the road on a McDonagh trade because if we do end up trading him eventually, we won't maximize his value.
If hank plays the way he's been playing as of late than yea anything can happen. This team looks better than last years team which was two games away from an ecf appearance. The "greater return" is not worth setting this team back years. What instead of a first and a prospect we get a first a prospect AND a second. Also on the topic of the Zuc extensions he's taken a paycut for this team before what makes you think he won't again.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Was at the game, thought we played absolutely brutal for most of the first 2 periods, esp most of that 2nd period. Thank god for Hank.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
After re-watching the game, I want to mention the Larkin-incident. I don't think it was GTI. He was bumped by Smith right as he was trying to skate around Lunqvist.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Having an "anything can happen" mentality seems very counter intuitive really.. trusting in "the lottery" is generally a very bad idea, and as a General Manager, i would think that the priority for any of them is to try to establish a solid base from which to build from. You also have to remember that the Rangers are a business.. and i really doubt that the following message would fly in the Rangers boardroom : "Gentlemen, on the extremely remote *cough* i mean guaranteed chance that we'll get a generational player in the next 5 years, i have decided that we should become the bottom feeder of the league for the next Decade.. when the unicor...erm.. when the Generational player is ready and we have a margina..*cough*... have an assured Stanley Cup run, you'll all thank me!".

What makes you think that Zucc wont give a deal on his next contract, he took a pay-cut on his current one. McD is slightly trickier in that he is probably going to seek a long and very expensive contract (ex. 6 years @ 7.5 mill or somewhere in that ballpark).

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I wonder how good this team really is. Of course in the end we go as far as goaltending takes us. But we have something we haven’t had in a long time. A legit first line and a powerplay.

But If you think about it. They’re 11-4-2 in last 17 of 23 total games. So it’s really a bad stretch of 6 games. 1-5 to start. Game 1 varlamov completely stole a game we absolutely should have won.

So really it’s 4 bad games it boiled down to? Outside of that stretch we’ve been pretty much lights out.

You wonder how much better this team gets and if so no one is getting dealt in February. Not with Pitt and Washington limping along.

And 3 more very winnable games ahead of us here before we go into Pittsburgh.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think we are an average at best 5v5 team, with a great PP, decent PK, and great goaltending if Hank is himself. Which could be enough to go deep in the playoffs, but probably won't be the case. Unless the Rangers add another top-9 forward, and a partner for McDonagh, they will be a borderline team at best.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We need a top nine forward yes. But I don’t think we need anything else.

You look wash isles devils Pitt all have been very up and down. Columbus was to start now are just living off Bobrovsky and winning a lot.

But no one i mentioned above is 11-4-2 in their last 17 games which is a big sample size. Much bigger than the 6 games to start.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If hank plays the way he's been playing as of late than yea anything can happen. This team looks better than last years team which was two games away from an ecf appearance. The "greater return" is not worth setting this team back years. What instead of a first and a prospect we get a first a prospect AND a second. Also on the topic of the Zuc extensions he's taken a paycut for this team before what makes you think he won't again.

You are bringing forth a lot of things that are not concrete right now. Hank has to first show he can keep this level up before we can even speak about being a good team. If he doesn't and reverts to last season's play, we aren't making the playoffs because the rest of the team isn't as good.

This team does not look better than last year's team, we had 20 more points through 23 games last season. Through this part of the season, it looks considerably worse, and lets not forget that we've had very few injuries. Other than McDonagh for two games now, we've been very lucky with our lack of injuries so far this season.

And what you don't seem to grasp is that we've been involuntarily setting ourselves back for years, we've gotten worse, farther from Cup Contention, the results show that. Do you want to wait until we become the Red Wings where we try to make moves to make the playoffs but aren't good enough to do so? If we don't rebuild now, it'll be even harder in a few years. We have the assets right now to get big pieces back. If we wait 3-4 years, the value for McDonagh and Zuccarello will be much lower than it is now, and they'll be on big contracts, although you think Zuccarello is going to give the team another great contract. He did it the last time, I highly doubt he does it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad