Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Annual Prospect Poll! #5!

Who do you consider Detroit's #5 prospect?

• Carter Mazur - W

• Elmer Soderblom - W

• Albert Johansson - LD

• William Wallinder - LD

• Shai Buium - LD

• Liam Dower-Nilsson - C/W

• Donovan Sebrango - LD

• Dmitri Buchelnikov - W

• Dylan James - W

• Theodor Niederbach - C/W

Results are only viewable after voting.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think very highly of Albert Johansson. He can be a risk taker but I also think he's got the potential to be a game breaker with his speed and shot. There were a lot of Farjestad games that he looked like a 4th forward on the ice. To unlock the best he has to offer I think he would be great next to Seider, or if Detroit found a lockdown RD like Cernak to pair with him.

champion.png

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wallinder for me.

Johansson is a good player, reminds me of Kronwall. Kronwall needs to get him closer to the weight he played at, then we can talk.

Soderblom and Mazur are legitimate options here. James, Buch, and Buium could be in the conversation for this spot next year possibly.

Add Sebrango

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Right now, I am torn between the last three big Swedes. I like Mazur and think he plays in the NHL, but I don't view him as any more certain than AlJo, Elmer, or Wallinder. Maybe Wallinder, but the growth that Wallinder displayed in Rogle last year has given more substance than he had in years past. That and my perception that Wallinder has the highest ceiling of that group of four makes him my vote here

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Tough choice here between Soderblom, Wallinder, and Johansson for me. I ended up going with Soderblom just because I hope he becomes a 6’8 goal scoring machine.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Johansson is a good player, reminds me of Kronwall. Kronwall needs to get him closer to the weight he played at, then we can talk.

That's what I see a lot of in Johansson's game. Young Kronwall before the knee injuries was a fantastic skater but also skinny as a rail just like Johansson and was always pretty physical despite his size. Johansson has shown the ability to throw some good open ice checks like Kronwall and they both play/played at high pace.

I think where the big difference between Kronwall and Johansson is, is Johansson has a really good shot. I can imagine him getting 15+ goals as an NHL defenseman able to shoot from all ranges with effectiveness.

I was a huge proponent of Wallinder at #33 and was super happy Detroit picked him. I've enjoyed watching his game evolve in Rogle and believe that he has very high potential. What I don't like is that Wallinder hasn't upped his pace enough. If he played at the same pace as Johansson or Kasper then you're looking at a guy that would be in the discussion as the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in Detroit instead of 5th to 7th best.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I voted Johansson at 4 because I think he has top 4 upside and is pretty far along the development path to getting there. I don't really feel that Wallinder, Viro, AJo 2.0, Buium, Sebrango, etc have any higher upside but they're further back in their development. Soderblom or Mazur, I don't think have quite the upside of Johansson and the rest of the forwards feel really unpredictable at this point.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Watching Wallinder in the WJC convinced me he likely hasn't taken the steps forward a lot of people have talked about the past several months in terms of becoming a legit NHL player. Too many brainfarts below the dots, too easily forechecked, questionable panic threshold. Projection-wise, he's still borderline terrifying to me in his own end.

Once he gets moving, he seems to be a dependable PMD and the puck ceases to be a hand grenade for him. But he's got a ways to go.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Johansson for me, though we do seem to be in the midst of a pretty tight grouping of several kids.

Add Savage.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Changed my vote to Soderblom. Y’all vote for that 160 something lb defenseman tho…:laugh:

Reactions: raymond23

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Changed my vote to Soderblom. Y’all vote for that 160 something lb defenseman tho…:laugh:
I've been going back and forth here too. Other than for the kids who just played in the WJC, this is a difficult time of year to rank a lot of these prospects. Will be fun to watch them sort themselves out in the coming months.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've been going back and forth here too. Other than for the kids who just played in the WJC, this is a difficult time of year to rank a lot of these prospects. Will be fun to watch them sort themselves out in the coming months.
I better see him at like 175/180 on the Grand Rapids in a month or two, all I’m saying.

Someone needs to get him on the Brian Cushing workout plan.

1B766C45-ABDE-4462-A3E5-57C8045487FB.png

Reactions: jaster

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
The more I’ve watched Johansson, the more I’m convinced he’s a player who will never make an impact at the NHL level. He and Berggren are two players I just don’t think will ever have the impact that folks expect.

It is a close call between several players here. I’ll go with Soderblom, although my gut tells me Mazur is easier to fit into a lineup.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I almost posted earlier about how it was surprising to see Johansson > Söderblom in the vote, but that's flipped now. They're both nice prospects to have but Söderblom showed some pretty amazing development last season and has a very rare skill set, so I consider his upside worth ranking pretty high especially now that he's put up a great SHL season (arguably better than Johansson).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad