Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Season is over, I think it was success. Team competed against Buffalo and Ottawa and were better than those 2. Hope we progress next season also, hope to see Kasper, AJ, Berggren and possibly someone else with Red Wings for entire season . Thank you Perron, Kane, Sprong and Ghost for everything, but now time to move on

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Season is over, I think it was success.

Yeah. It was.

It pretty much lighted the FIRE under Raymond & Seider's hearts. Their efforts were nice add to Larkin's and Edvinsson will follow. The core is building up internally.

Now they know what it takes, and they can lead through experiment.

This kind of circles around on Yzerman's summer talk, how he did see the Yzerplan. He wanted to build up the young nucleus, which would have no other culture than winning. His culture, the Red Wings culture.

It was a learning lesson.
- Can't take off-nights
- Have to believe until it's over. And they did.

82-game run is so damn long.

Be better, have a good summer training and let's try again.

We have good kids incoming. Can't wait to put Cossa in net to fix this goalie mess. Just big body and more equipment on the way stop some extra pucks.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Wow. This is where we are now. lol. People feel like the Red Wings achieved something vs let everyone down. lol. Fans deserve this so much.
Geez man

Disappointment is totally okay, being objective and even slightly critical is warranted but this...this is beyond that...

Every teams effort and execution ebbs and flows throughout the season but the team still gave it their all the last stretch here...heads should not be held low this morning

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
So last season we had 80 pts, 240 GF and 279 GA. 17th PP at 21.1%, PK at 78.3%.

This season 91 pts, 278 GF and 274 GA. 9th best powerplay at 23.1%, PK 16th at 79.6%.

So improvements, more than I thought in some areas, but worse in other areas. Namely was expecting the defense and goaltending to be better. Five less goals allowed with the money that is now spent seems not that great. Also gave up 20 goals in the last five games, giving up that many goals but still coming away with 7/10 points is something.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
This morning hurts. But the memories made this season are the best ones since probably 2016? Maybe earlier than that?

I got engaged at the home opener.
Sweeping Tampa in the regular season (all of which I was in attendance).
The emergence of Raymond as an elite player.
Edvinsson era beginning.
Patrick Kane in the Winged Wheel.
Multiple Griddy's.
My child's first Wings season.

Sure, shitting the bed in December and March sure f***ing sucked, but this team proved they're ready to f***ing go, as soon as next season.

It's been a hell of a ride fellas.

And f*** John Tortorella.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why can't people be happy about progress?

Good point.

It will be fun times ahead. Like, people were too far ahead on their hopes to get kids injected on the roster. Many of those just aren't ready. But they are coming, just a bit later than typical fan will hope.

But looking for a 2-year window, half of the roster spots are open.

DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
XXX - Compher - XXX
Rasmussen - Copp - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX

You can imagine Berggren, Veleno, Söderblom, Danielson, Kasper, Mazur there. Everyone will not be promoted at same time, there will always be short-term vets like Perron/Kane "in front of" them. Vets are mentoring the current wave and next wave kids are waiting their turn.

If someone is traded at some point, then guys like Hanas, Lombardi, Savage are on the next wave. Or that could and should go as far as Copp and Compher walking out as UFAs.

With 2-year window, we also have Cossa on the goal, at least as a backup. Who knows who the starter will be. Pretty sure Yzerman is gonna get some exprienced guy. Again, at same time, mentor Cossa + also have some experience for bad times for the seasons. Like we saw, the goalies swings from good to bad can be huge. You need options. And Augustine will give the next wave guy to wait at GR.

2-year window at defensive end

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - XXX
Chiarot - Holl
XXX

XXX
Cossa

Those are the guys having contracts. Many will hope for some existing contracts to disappear, but I'm spectical. I think we have to live through them and Wallinder/Johansson/Tuomisto will slide on the roster at some point. UFAs like Ghost/Petry/Määttä will just walk.

Think free agency will solve the problem for another goalie to paired with Cossa.

Also that Right-side defenceman thing, that could be fixed at this summer. The market is deep.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Had one work meeting and then the season being over hit me again...

56b0c97e-211e-4319-8179-19339d100558_text.gif

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Overall this season was a success in terms of progress. We came very close to making it but sometimes, you have to learn the hard lessons in life I guess. Things we need to improve:

- This team still lacks overall talent, Yzerman needs to target serious talent this off-season, and when I say talent, I don't mean a bunch of guys like Copp, Compher, Perron, etc. Along with that, players like Raymond, Seider, DeBrincat, etc need to take their game to the next level.

- Larkin is an amazing captain. Unfortunately we learned that without his presence in the lineup, this team has no leaders. All the vets that Yzerman signed really disappointed when they were needed the most. That 7 game losing streak in early March is the main reason why we're not in the playoffs. To not get a single point in those 7 games is insane. That 1 point would have made the different last night. This is where leadership and experience is important. Hopefully this is a lesson for the team and for some players, preferably the younger stars on the team, develop that leadership quality to step up when needed.

- The coaching has been questionable. One of the things that stood out this season was how we turned a good chunk of games into nail biters. Sometimes we have a nice lead only to blow it, other times we're playing catch up and things end in heroic moments like the past two games. Coaching needs to get the team dialed in the entire 60 mins of the game. The other issue is how Lalonde failed to snap the team out of that 7 game losing streak, you need to keep your team motivated when you have a nice lead in the standings. Also some of the line pairings were questionable as well, the one that stands out the most was the Seider-Chiarot pairing, I feel like it held Mo back a bit, even though he slightly improved compared to last season. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give the coaching staff another season to see what they can do.

- Given their skill level, I think our goaltending did well this season, but you don't compete with the likes of Lyon and Reimer as your primary goalies. This team needs a legit #1 goalie.

- Our center position is lacking on the top-6. Larkin is a legit top line center, but we need two centers of that caliber on the top-6.

- Our defense has been bad this year, maybe moving some bodies around and smarter pairings will solve it, but what is absolutely needed is for Seider to take that next step. I just hope they find a suitable pairing for him.

That's all I got.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This morning hurts. But the memories made this season are the best ones since probably 2016? Maybe earlier than that?

I got engaged at the home opener.
Sweeping Tampa in the regular season (all of which I was in attendance).
The emergence of Raymond as an elite player.
Edvinsson era beginning.
Patrick Kane in the Winged Wheel.
Multiple Griddy's.
My child's first Wings season.

Sure, shitting the bed in December and March sure f***ing sucked, but this team proved they're ready to f***ing go, as soon as next season.

It's been a hell of a ride fellas.

And f*** John Tortorella.
damn, if you mentioned these before I was just totally out to lunch. Congratulations on many fronts!

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
What a roller coaster of a season. It certainly had its extreme highs and depressing lows. All in all they fought till the final buzzer and that's all that matters now.

I'm still digesting how things played out last night, especially with Philly. But I had these guys pegged as a wild card team at the start of the year and they were at times pushing for 3rd in the division.

Larkin is hungry for it, Raymond is going to be borderline elite next season. Seider will have a big load taken off with Simon up full time next season which should give us a damn good top 2 pairs, and hopefully we find a way to fix our goaltending (bring up cossa?)

I guess I'll have to wait another 12 months to see the first ever playoff game at the LCA

I'm happy to have shared the year with you. I'm definitely not going to go cry in the mirror now

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Season is over, I think it was success. Team competed against Buffalo and Ottawa and were better than those 2. Hope we progress next season also, hope to see Kasper, AJ, Berggren and possibly someone else with Red Wings for entire season . Thank you Perron, Kane, Sprong and Ghost for everything, but now time to move on
Would say hardly competed against Ottawa. We won like 1 game out of 4 for the season series. They live rent free in our players heads.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Why can't people be happy about progress?
This is always the other side of the coin right?

You can be if you want to act like a loser. ( Just a personal opinion. )

Some people don't adjust expectations, and also others actually pull them back when convenient, so they still feel good. I admire that.

Idk how the Red Wings/Flyers feel good about themselves.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
And then there are crybabies and sore losers. I think those are losers (personal opinion)
Ha, yeah well that figures.

Might not want to be on a hockey forum then. Talk Kumm-bi-ah with the bros around the campfire.

You can also block/ignore me if you think I'm a loser. Not like we care enough about what each other thinks anyways. :razz:

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Geez man

Disappointment is totally okay, being objective and even slightly critical is warranted but this...this is beyond that...

Every teams effort and execution ebbs and flows throughout the season but the team still gave it their all the last stretch here...heads should not be held low this morning
Everyone is allowed to feel how they want. Success is interpreted in different ways differently. I am not proud of what they did. Certain individuals, especially Raymond, for sure. I've actually thought they were playoff team since signing Kane, so personally this is a HUGE let down.

So yeah, idk, persona, this hurts. I'm not high fiving much.

I'm really hoping for a good offseason and am also hoping the kids like Danielson/Cossa do provide big upgrades cause, we'll need it to replace some veterans lost like Kane/Sprong/Gostisbehere.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If one wanna point to a single moment where we lost that single point we needed to make the playoffs, it is not the Arizona games. It is the Sharks game, where we gave up a 4 goal lead in less than 6 minutes.

That's the learning lesson of this season. They don't EVER WANT THIS SAME HAPPEN AGAIN.

I'll expect great thing from the future. Larkin, Raymond and Seider will quarantee it. The attitude change, be a pro every day. No shortcuts. No easy points left on the table, so you don't have to EVER AGAIN disappoint at the last regular season game of the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad