Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp and his 13ish minutes of ESTOI is not the biggest reason the Wings are in a 7 game skid.

At $5.6M/season, yeah, it is a freakin problem. The fact that he's only worth playing 13 minutes of ES makes it worse, especially since he's the second highest paid center on this team (and 3rd overall). You would expect the second highest paid center to be able to play 2C, and he's not even playing at LFG level. (He was also good at PK)

In any case, the hate is justified, just took everyone else an extra season to realize it. His mom probably hates the way he plays, nobody else arguing with me anymore. (Unless you're his mom....)

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
At $5.6M/season, yeah, it is a freakin problem. The fact that he's only worth playing 13 minutes of ES makes it worse, especially since he's the second highest paid center on this team (and 3rd overall). You would expect the second highest paid center to be able to play 2C, and he's not even playing at LFG level. (He was also good at PK)

In any case, the hate is justified, just took everyone else an extra season to realize it. His mom probably hates the way he plays, nobody else arguing with me anymore. (Unless you're his mom....)
I'd venture people have stopped arguing with you about it because you're a broken record.

I'm not his mom. I just don't have an irrational fixation on Copp. He's not great but on the list of problems with this roster he's not near the top.

To say he's not at LFG level is simply not true. But again, there's no point in arguing. To rail against Copp as a problem in the midst of this losing streak is so random it's actually pretty funny. And proof there will always be spacegoats in light of any and all other issues with a team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd venture people have stopped arguing with you about it because you're a broken record.

I'm not his mom. I just don't have an irrational fixation on Copp. He's not great but on the list of problems with this roster he's not near the top.

To say he's not at LFG level is simply not true. But again, there's no point in arguing. To rail against Copp as a problem in the midst of this losing streak is so random it's actually pretty funny. And proof there will always be spacegoats in light of any and all other issues with a team.

4 assists and 0 goals in his last 17 games, IS actually below LFG level. It's not even a hyperbole.

He has the third highest salary on the team, and he's playing like he makes league min. You don't expect fans to be angry when the third highest player sucks ass? The only reason why you don't see anyone else here complaining is because they all supported Copp last season, and I'd call them all out on it. Go to any other Wings fan sites, nobody likes Copp.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
4 assists and 0 goals in his last 17 games, IS actually below LFG level. It's not even a hyperbole.

He has the third highest salary on the team, and he's playing like he makes league min. You don't expect fans to be angry when the third highest player sucks ass? The only reason why you don't see anyone else here complaining is because they all supported Copp last season, and I'd call them all out on it. Go to any other Wings fan sites, nobody likes Copp.

Ahh yes, the all important "last 17 games" metric.

all I'm really hoping for here is you keeping your Copp fixation to the thread on Andrew Copp and not make the exact same posts in multiple threads.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ahh yes, the all important "last 17 games" metric.

all I'm really hoping for here is you keeping your Copp fixation to the thread on Andrew Copp and not make the exact same posts in multiple threads.

That's a pretty long stretch to suck, approaching quarter of a season. Everyone's played like shit without DBoss, Compher has 1G 0A in his last 7 games so I picked a longer stretch of games.

Also, everyone knows the Copp thread is about Kostin trade and Kailer buyout. I will admit I should have posted about Copp in the Rasmussen thread like veryone else.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
That's a pretty long stretch to suck, approaching quarter of a season. Everyone's played like shit without DBoss, Compher has 1G 0A in his last 7 games so I picked a longer stretch of games.

Also, everyone knows the Copp thread is about Kostin trade and Kailer buyout. I will admit I should have posted about Copp in the Rasmussen thread like veryone else.

You made identical posts in two threads only minutes apart. If you don't see that as a red flag about a spacegoat fixation I don't know what to tell you.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You made identical posts in two threads only minutes apart. If you don't see that as a red flag about a spacegoat fixation I don't know what to tell you.

Funny thing is, you made it worse by replying on this thread, lol. You also gave me a reason to post this:

CoppGoat.jpg

And I'm not gonna apologize for doubling up on my Copp hate, I even made this my avatar for the week until I come up with another Priority photoshop.

I mean the Hanifin trade proposal was like on what... 4 or 5 different threads? By the same people?

• Haha
Reactions: FMichael

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Lalonde has lost the locker room, it's starting to look that he wasn't ready for HC position. Fire him and bring in Darryll Sutter, he will whip the defense in shape in no time. Replace the assistants during the off-season and if plan is to be hard to play against, hire coaches like that.

Head Coach: Darryll Sutter

Associate Coach: Todd Nelson
- Did a good job in Dallas working with Heiskanen, Lindell, Klingberg. Dallas allowed 2nd least goals in NHL 2018-19 and 2019-20. Did a good job in GR and now in Hershey, won another Calder Cup last season. Hershey allowed 2nd least goals in AHL last season and this this season Hershey is leading the regular season and has allowed a least amount goals by far margin.

Assistant Coach: Steve Ott
- 7th season as a assistant in St. Louis, got passed over when Berube got fired. Maybe that is signal to move on and Otter if anyone is a suitable coach for hard to play against-game system.

Assistant Coach: Jussi Ahokas
- You want a tight defensive structure? Hire a Finn. Kitchener seems to be doing well under his tutelage.

Goaltending Coach: Roope Koistinen
- Give him a double role, goalie coach in Detroit and in GR. Husso will bounce back immediately and Cossa keeps developing. Win-Win.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Lalonde has lost the locker room, it's starting to look that he wasn't ready for HC position. Fire him and bring in Darryll Sutter, he will whip the defense in shape in no time. Replace the assistants during the off-season and if plan is to be hard to play against, hire coaches like that.

- Did a good job in Dallas working with Heiskanen, Lindell, Klingberg. Dallas allowed 2nd least goals in NHL 2018-19 and 2019-20. Did a good job in GR and now in Hershey, won another Calder Cup last season. Hershey allowed 2nd least goals in AHL last season and this this season Hershey is leading the regular season and has allowed a least amount goals by far margin.

- 7th season as a assistant in St. Louis, got passed over when Berube got fired. Maybe that is signal to move on and Otter if anyone is a suitable coach for hard to play against-game system.

- You want a tight defensive structure? Hire a Finn. Kitchener seems to be doing well under his tutelage.

- Give him a double role, goalie coach in Detroit and in GR. Husso will bounce back immediately and Cossa keeps developing. Win-Win.
Speaking of the guys who lost the locker room, how did last Sutter's stint end?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Dude, respectfully. I understand that you hate Copp with the fire of a thousand suns and his cap hit pains you like you're paying it yourself, but is it really necessary to make this same point in multiple threads?

Copp and his 13ish minutes of ESTOI is not the biggest reason the Wings are in a 7 game skid. They're a defensive shit show and being a responsible forward is one of the few things Copp is good at. Well, that and faceoffs. And he's a pretty good PK guy.

I would love for the Wings to be in a position where Copp was the biggest problem on the team.
The problems start at the teams highest paid players and work down from there...

That is why they're the teams highest paid players.. expectations and pressure

How much fault lies at a players feet is inversely correlated to ones on ice production

Speaking of the guys who lost the locker room, how did last Sutter's stint end?
Yeah he is not the right coach longterm...but for 20 games.. yes pls

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Replace Sutter with Gallant and I’m all in

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
The problems start at the teams highest paid players and work down from there...

That is why they're the teams highest paid players.. expectations and pressure

How much fault lies at a players feet is inversely correlated to ones on ice production

By your reasoning DeBrincat should be getting a lot more heat than he actually is. He gets nowhere near Copp's level of criticism. Conversely, Petry should get less criticism than he does given he's the lowest paid D-man not on an ELC.

Copp was not signed for his production. People can fixate on his AAV but that's not going to turn him into a goalscorer. He's been doing most of the things he was brought in to do. Which is why in this tailspin, I don't think he's near the top of the problems.

Compher has 8 more points than Copp and gets 2 mins more PP time on average per game. They play about the same amount of time on the PK. They've taken roughly the same number of faceoffs but Copp is at 54% and Compher at 44%.

I guess the $500k less Compher gets paid is why no one has even whispered his name in a negative way?

To be clear, I am in no way arguing Copp should be on the power play. I'm in no way arguing Compher should be getting tons of criticism.

I'm saying Copp is the current spacegoat.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
The answer might be simple - Copp's face looks just too stupid for proper evaluation. Considering "pretty privilege" for attractive people is really a thing in every society, Copp however could suffer from "ugly underestimation"..

:D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

You both need to realize that this is the London Knights thread.

So you want no offence at all and to piss off all the players so they leave?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If a coach "loses the locker room" after less than two full seasons, the coach isn't the problem.

It's a talent issue and always has been.
Before the last 9 games Wings firmly had the wild card spot and that was achieved by this talent. And this talent has scored 7th most goals in NHL this season. The talent is good enough to make the playoffs.

When Larkin got decapitated by the rats of Ottawa, Fester didn't call them out and barely if not all supported the captain of his team. Maybe that started a friction and now something new happened. This kind of meltdown so close to playoffs from a team filled with proven NHL professionals is unheard off. Especially after a good season or good 60-62 games.
So you want no offence at all and to piss off all the players so they leave?
Yes, because defensive minded coaches hate offence and only loves 1-0 wins. That stereotype continues to live for ever. If you have followed what kind of players Yzerman has acquired, you notice that they ain't danglers and perimeter players, they are exactly the opposite. The team what Yzerman wants, is built for coach like Sutter.

Players in LA didn't look too pissed when they were lifting Stanley Cup, twice actually. But if you are referring to Calgary, it's not really a surprise that american players leave Canada.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everybody has had their bad stretches.

- NY Islanders had 7-game losing streak early in the season. Then they went 29 games, with only 9 wins. Collecting lots of losing OT points. Coach was fired somewhere there.
Now they are at 4-game losing streak.

- Philly has had 5-game losing streak. Then two another streaks, where they had only 2 wins at 9 games. Now they are at 2-game losing streak and insane streak of TOR-CAR-BOS-FLO-NYR incoming.

- Washington started the season with 4 losses in first 5 games. Then they have gone through 6-game losing streak. Went 1 win in 7 games for another streak. Team seems to look well now, but they were sellers.

Red Wings are no different, it's their own destiny to complete the final 14 games 1-2 points better than 2 of the other 4 teams on the race.

PIT and BUF are done. Waste of time to speculate with them. They were sellers. Pittsburgh has 3 wins in last 11 games. And tough schdeule in the end. Buffalo? Playoffs? Come on.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
So we just passed our goals scored last year which was 240 with 12 games left

22-23 Goals for 240, Goals Against 279
Current Goals for 242, Goals Against 235

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Always makes me laugh when fans make claims that the coach has "lost the room". How could you possibly know that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad