Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #7

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #7 Overall Prospect?

• Shai Buium

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Albert Johansson

Votes: 124 85.5%
  • Robert Mastrosimone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jared McIssac

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Theodor Niederbach

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Donovan Sebrango

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Elmer Soderblom

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Antti Tuomisto

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Eemil Viro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Wallinder

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Drafting Edvinsson, and the way Johansson and Viro are developing, kind of makes Wallinder's future on the Wings hard to see for me. I know that's perhaps not the main factor to consider in a poll like this, but he's just such a long-term project who I kind of expect to be thrown into a trade in a year or two and nobody really notices because we're all so hyped about other prospects.

if he hits his potential then saying it's hard to see a future for him on the team because of Johansson and Viro is kinda like saying it's hard to see a future for Seider because of Hronek and Lindstrom

it's a big if with how much of a project he is but he has the tools to become a totally different level of player from those guys

Reactions: gbdet

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
if he hits his potential then saying it's hard to see a future for him on the team because of Johansson and Viro is kinda like saying it's hard to see a future for Seider because of Hronek and Lindstrom

it's a big if with how much of a project he is but he has the tools to become a totally different level of player from those guys
I struggle to agree with that comparison. Wallinder does only one thing better than Johansson - being big. Heck Albert is even the more physical player despite being much smaller.
I'm really, really curious to see how Wallinder develops this season, but unless he really takes a huge step, or at least many small steps, he probably shouldn't even be top 10 in our system.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Is this based on Calder eligibility? If so my add becomes Nedeljkovic by a mile. If he's a no go then my add is also Pearson

@Winger98 told me in another poll that this is by Calder eligibility, yes. I forgot that Ned is eligible for the Calder. So I guess he's eligible for this poll? Seems weird. I'd have ranked him probably 4th or 5th on this list if that's the case.

No one ever agrees on the criteria for a "prospect" in these polls, but going strictly by Calder eligibility seems especially problematic. As much heat as I gave HF for their prospect coverage back in the day, I did think their criteria for prospect eligibility was pretty solid.....

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:
If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Sebrango has more North American professional hockey experience than the rest of these combined. At 19 he was kept on a short leash in Grand Rapids and play more games than anyone except Hicketts. Sebrango played simple, reliable, mistake-free hockey. Most people are being WAY too optimistic about unproven players.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Sebrango has more North American professional hockey experience than the rest of these combined. At 19 he was kept on a short leash in Grand Rapids and play more games than anyone except Hicketts. Sebrango played simple, reliable, mistake-free hockey. Most people are being WAY too optimistic about unproven players.
Care to explain why you value North American professional hockey so much?

And some snarkier follow up questions: Do you think, maybe, you are biased in favor of players that played for the Kitchener Rangers? Or maybe have an unusual bias for Sebrango? (Are you Donovan Sebrango??)

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Volatile prospect, but for me it is Wallinder. I had him top 15 in his draft class, he has a lot of projection but for me he has the highest upside remaining. I am hoping for a big step forward at Rogle, I love that move for his development.

Add is Pearson

We're at the point in the polling where proximity and volatility start to matter at least as much as ceiling and floor, so let the disagreements fly!

Wallinder, being the kind of player he is, is going to have a wider-than-average spectrum in terms of where people rank him. He could be a fast riser on my list due to the tools he does have, but his defensive fundamentals are so far out in left field that I have him around #15. If every shift he was in transition or in the O zone the whole time, I'd probably have him ranked #5 :naughty:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
@Winger98 told me in another poll that this is by Calder eligibility, yes. I forgot that Ned is eligible for the Calder. So I guess he's eligible for this poll? Seems weird. I'd have ranked him probably 4th or 5th on this list if that's the case.

No one ever agrees on the criteria for a "prospect" in these polls, but going strictly by Calder eligibility seems especially problematic. As much heat as I gave HF for their prospect coverage back in the day, I did think their criteria for prospect eligibility was pretty solid.....

He finished third last year... Maybe it is because he is a goalie, but I would find it very odd that you could be a finalist and still up for the award the next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We're at the point in the polling where proximity and volatility start to matter at least as much as ceiling and floor, so let the disagreements fly!

Wallinder, being the kind of player he is, is going to have a wider-than-average spectrum in terms of where people rank him. He could be a fast riser on my list due to the tools he does have, but his defensive fundamentals are so far out in left field that I have him around #15. If every shift he was in transition or in the O zone the whole time, I'd probably have him ranked #5 :naughty:

He has premium tools and a long runway to tap into those. Similar to Buium and Tuomisto only I think Wallinder has the best tools of that grouping. I have never made it a secret around here that big D-man that can really skate is something I believe in pretty massively. We have to pull that out of him, he is going to a really strong program in Rogle. I think this year will be big in terms of him locking in his top 10 spot, but at this point when I look at our list I think if he maxes out he is the best player left.

I am excited to see Johansson's progression, I haven't liked that he has wilted at times to fore-checking which will only go up as he crosses the pond. I do like his game though, fantastic skater, I understand him running away with this round. Just for me Wallinder is a guy I hope we can get right, he is the kind of guy we do need to eventually hit on and develop correctly. I hope to see big things this year. One of the big things that should start helping these guys if they have big competition but also guys they can learn a lot from just going ahead of them and slotting their development a little easier than we have been seeing. Seider really helps that picture for us, a Edvinsson also helps make a guy like Wallinder's long arc easier. You have time to really figure them out, put them in the correct spot in the lineup and people around them that can also help a little more than we have seen lately in my opinion.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I know folks are going to go hard for Allllllbert, but my pick is McIsaac. I think folks are sleeping on the guy because of injuries. Maybe he wrecks his shoulders again, but if he stays healthy I think he's going to put up a good year in GR and inject himself into the conversation for a top4 spot within a year.
Kronwall had a similar start to his career. He broke his leg and then the following year had a knee injury. If McIssac can stay healthy he can leap up the depth chart.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall had a similar start to his career. He broke his leg and then the following year had a knee injury. If McIssac can stay healthy he can leap up the depth chart.

Kronwall had played like 5 professional seasons by that point. He was the AHL D-man of the year during the lockout in what many believe was the best season of AHL hockey in decades. He had already won two championships in Sweden, been named their best junior hockey player and won a World Championship Silver. A part of what was such a bummer when he kept getting hurt initially with the Wings was we already kind of knew he was a damn good hockey player we just needed to keep him healthy. I hope McIsaac can get healthy, I get that angle, but Kronwall was a little more established when he ran into his injury difficulty.

I think he can rise up the list, the reality when you look at our D pool is some of these guys can't probably make it here. Honestly good on Yzerman and Drapes for making me feel this way already.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
He finished third last year... Maybe it is because he is a goalie, but I would find it very odd that you could be a finalist and still up for the award the next year.

Yeah, I agree, and I think that's why I forgot he was eligible again. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
He has premium tools and a long runway to tap into those. Similar to Buium and Tuomisto only I think Wallinder has the best tools of that grouping. I have never made it a secret around here that big D-man that can really skate is something I believe in pretty massively. We have to pull that out of him, he is going to a really strong program in Rogle. I think this year will be big in terms of him locking in his top 10 spot, but at this point when I look at our list I think if he maxes out he is the best player left.

I am excited to see Johansson's progression, I haven't liked that he has wilted at times to fore-checking which will only go up as he crosses the pond. I do like his game though, fantastic skater, I understand him running away with this round. Just for me Wallinder is a guy I hope we can get right, he is the kind of guy we do need to eventually hit on and develop correctly. I hope to see big things this year. One of the big things that should start helping these guys if they have big competition but also guys they can learn a lot from just going ahead of them and slotting their development a little easier than we have been seeing. Seider really helps that picture for us, a Edvinsson also helps make a guy like Wallinder's long arc easier. You have time to really figure them out, put them in the correct spot in the lineup and people around them that can also help a little more than we have seen lately in my opinion.

I totally get the argument for Wallinder here. We all have things we value in prospects, same as the pros do, and I understand the lean towards ceiling, especially given that long runway. And if we're looking at absolute ceiling of the players left, he's certainly in the running. Not sure he's clear-cut #1, but a good case can be made. I'm still very curious about Buium, I haven't seen him and I don't know much about him beyond draft day/week/month coverage, but I'm interested in what I've read. Soderblom is another guy. Maybe Johansson.

I also agree with the idea that Wallinder is the type of guy we need to eventually hit on. These relatively high picks that are home run types can't all be misses if the organization is to gain that extra competitive advantage that gets them to the top. I'm certainly rooting for Wallinder in that regard too. He's probably the biggest home run pick of the past several drafts.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Care to explain why you value North American professional hockey so much?

And some snarkier follow up questions: Do you think, maybe, you are biased in favor of players that played for the Kitchener Rangers? Or maybe have an unusual bias for Sebrango? (Are you Donovan Sebrango??)
Not Sebrango. Rangers fan. North American hockey AHL more closely resembles NHL. Most people commenting on European hockey and players have never seen a European game.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not Sebrango. Rangers fan. North American hockey AHL more closely resembles NHL. Most people commenting on European hockey and players have never seen a European game.

There are quite a few on this board that watch European games.

Also the AHL more closely resembles the NHL of 2003 and its grindfest.

Reactions: Christoph53

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There are quite a few on this board that watch European games.

Also the AHL more closely resembles the NHL of 2003 and its grindfest.

The pace of play in the AHL is higher than that in my opinion. I disagree there, the AHL is probably the most physical league in the world at this point, but I think the north south hockey you find up a level is the closest resembled by the AHL. The AHL is an undervalued league by a lot of people in my opinion. I think it is the third best league in the world and it in my opinion is a lot closer to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I went with AJ based upon his play to date in a very strong league. He has a very good pre-NA resume and his skating alone makes him projectible. I do, however, have some lingering questions about what he will look like on the small ice that prevents me from ranking him any higher. That may be me reading too much into that mediocre WJC performance.

Like others, I think we are about to get into a really interesting part of the rankings where a lot of different guys start claiming votes and the margin of victory starts shrinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad