Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #7

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #7 Overall Prospect?

• Shai Buium

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Albert Johansson

Votes: 124 85.5%
  • Robert Mastrosimone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jared McIssac

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Theodor Niederbach

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Donovan Sebrango

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Elmer Soderblom

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Antti Tuomisto

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Eemil Viro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Wallinder

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
1.) Moritz Seider - RD - 20: 6'4" 207 lbs - RH Shot - Zell, GER - 96.2%
2.) Lucas Raymond - LW/RW - 19: 5'10"183 lbs - RH Shot - Goteborg, SWE - 85.1%
3.) Simon Edvinsson - LD - 18: 6'5" 207 lbs - LH Shot - Onsala, SWE - 70.1%
4.) Sebastian Cossa - G - 18: 6'6'' 212 lbs - LC catching glove - Fort McMurray, AL, CAN - 47.8%
5.) Jonatan Berggren - LW/RW- 21: 5'11'' 183 lbs - LH Shot - Uppsala, SWE - 75.5%
6.) Joe Veleno - C - 21: 6'1'' 194 lbs - LH Shot - Kirkland, QC, CAN - 69.1%

Veleno gets on the board at #6. Add is Donovan Sebrango

Reactions: Pavels Dog

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think you could have argued Johansson as high as 4 (in fact I'd have him at 5 above Cossa but behind Berggren) and everyone else left has either low-upside or is a project. I think he has a good shot at being a smooth-skating reliable but offensively capable second pairing D. I can't point to anything that should prevent him from reaching that projection or higher even. He can really do it all, he has a good shot, handles pressure well, decent hands, good passer, great wheels and defends well. At ~6' his size shouldn't be an issue, but he's not a giant like the rest of our blue line prospects. I guess if I had a complaint it's that he doesn't have skill that really pops to suggest he has first pairing upside (unless he's playing second-fiddle to a truly elite 1D)

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Johansson. I am curious who everyone picks next. I am not sure who I will choose. I wish I had a larger sample of some of these NCAA guys.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know folks are going to go hard for Allllllbert, but my pick is McIsaac. I think folks are sleeping on the guy because of injuries. Maybe he wrecks his shoulders again, but if he stays healthy I think he's going to put up a good year in GR and inject himself into the conversation for a top4 spot within a year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I know folks are going to go hard for Allllllbert, but my pick is McIsaac. I think folks are sleeping on the guy because of injuries. Maybe he wrecks his shoulders again, but if he stays healthy I think he's going to put up a good year in GR and inject himself into the conversation for a top4 spot within a year.

I'm hoping you're right because McIsaac is a guy I always thought could be a terrific #4 guy that plays all the tough situations; last minute with a lead, the bulk of PK minutes, and tough matchups against the other team's biggest and strongest guys. But I'm genuinely worried about the shoulder injuries.

In another thread we were discussing how a shoulder injury transformed Kyle Quincey's game for the worse, Dillon Fournier retired in 2017 after chronic shoulder problems, Tarasenko being out with his 3rd shoulder injury, Nyquist missing all of last season with a shoulder problem, then there's Oscar Klefblom more recently who might retire...

It's hard to ignore that his type of chronic injury problem has ruined many recent NHL players.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, I want to believe in McIsaac still but he's just lost so much development time at this point. Even if he stays healthy I'm not sure he can recover from all that lost time- and that's a really big if at this point. I loved the pick, I agree that he has the tools to be a very effective Dman, but compared to Johansson whom has essentially no red flags, McIsaac is just way too uncertain for me. I was having similar concerns about Berggren this time last year though; you're totally right that one good season can really transform a prospect's outlook.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm hoping you're right because McIsaac is a guy I always thought could be a terrific #4 guy that plays all the tough situations; last minute with a lead, the bulk of PK minutes, and tough matchups against the other team's biggest and strongest guys. But I'm genuinely worried about the shoulder injuries.

In another thread we were discussing how a shoulder injury transformed Kyle Quincey's game for the worse, Dillon Fournier retired in 2017 after chronic shoulder problems, Tarasenko being out with his 3rd shoulder injury, Nyquist missing all of last season with a shoulder problem, then there's Oscar Klefblom more recently who might retire...

It's hard to ignore that his type of chronic injury problem has ruined many recent NHL players.

For sure. I know it's a gamble with his health but I've liked the guy for a long time, too. He's a guy who I think is either going to climb the ranks in a big way or just totally fall of the map after this season. If he gets hurt again...yeah, he's probably done as far as being a serious prospect.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

I'm a big McIsasc fan but I think because of his injuries he deserves to be lower on this list. However if he has a healthy bounce back year he will move up this list quickly.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Sans injury, McIsaac would be my choice here, but it's AlJo this round. I was tempted to start beating the drum for Buium: he's an intriguing prospect with a good set of tools to work with. If he makes the WJC team I think his stock will go Gamestop crazy on this forum.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I was actually a bit torn between Viro and Johansson. But I think Johansson has, potentially, the greater upside.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, I said after pick #5 I'm going with highest probability of making the NHL, not highest ceiling.

AJ has the higher upside of being a middle pair, but I'm going with Sebrango who's almost a lock for the bottom pair. PLus he's got the advantage of playing in the AHL for both his D+1 and D+2 seasons.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Voted for the one who look like a male sibling of Audrey Tautou.

I feel like some of the criteria in voting for AJ can also apply to Viro and so I imagine he'll win a vote soon.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Johansson's my vote and looks like he's going to run away with it. I'm loving how this prospect pool has shaped up, haven't had this kind of depth before in the modern era. That's three solid blue chip prospects at the top, and four promising players at 4-7 who are all really close. Not much difference between Cossa at 4 and Johansson at 7. And all 4 of those guys would rank higher on a lot of prospect pools in the league.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Volatile prospect, but for me it is Wallinder. I had him top 15 in his draft class, he has a lot of projection but for me he has the highest upside remaining. I am hoping for a big step forward at Rogle, I love that move for his development.

Add is Pearson

yeah he's my #8

bit too much of a longshot for me to justify putting over Johansson/Berggren/Veleno but his upside is the highest in these polls since at least Cossa

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Volatile prospect, but for me it is Wallinder. I had him top 15 in his draft class, he has a lot of projection but for me he has the highest upside remaining. I am hoping for a big step forward at Rogle, I love that move for his development.

Add is Pearson
Drafting Edvinsson, and the way Johansson and Viro are developing, kind of makes Wallinder's future on the Wings hard to see for me. I know that's perhaps not the main factor to consider in a poll like this, but he's just such a long-term project who I kind of expect to be thrown into a trade in a year or two and nobody really notices because we're all so hyped about other prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00