Detroit Red Wings #11 Prospect - Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
How do you figure? He played all of 5 games in the NHL, and couldn't grab a spot on one of the weaker defenses in the league.

Wait, what? He was with the team for 1/4 of the season in 2014.

I'm not saying he's a good player (and I've consistently put Russo and Sproul ahead of him), but he certainly looked capable of handling it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wait, what? He was with the team for 1/4 of the season in 2014.

I'm not saying he's a good player (and I've consistently put Russo and Sproul ahead of him), but he certainly looked capable of handling it.

I guess I just don't see how you could say he can clearly play in the NHL, when last season he spent 95% of the season in Grand Rapids.

Believe he only got a look in 14-15 because Kindl was so bad he played his way to the press box. If he demonstrated a clear ability to play in the NHL, I would imagine he would have seen more than 5 games in the following year. From what I saw last year, I'd say he is a borderline NHL player. Which is why he is fighting for a #7 spot right now, 5 years after being drafted.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I guess I just don't see how you could say he can clearly play in the NHL, when last season he spent 95% of the season in Grand Rapids.

Believe he only got a look in 14-15 because Kindl was so bad he played his way to the press box. If he demonstrated a clear ability to play in the NHL, I would imagine he would have seen more than 5 games in the following year. From what I saw last year, I'd say he is a borderline NHL player. Which is why he is fighting for a #7 spot right now, 5 years after being drafted.

Again, I'm not saying he's a good player. I don't think he's better than a Kindl/pressbox/7D. But that's literally infinitely more proven than Turgeon is. Which is my point.

Turgeon isn't a particularly great prospect (which isn't to say he's not, possibly, a good prospect), and I doubt anyone thinks he's a likely or possible 1/2C. So it shouldn't be overly surprising that a guy who played 1/4 of the season in the NHL, and only apparently got passed over last season for Marchenko because he's a LHD and Marchenko is a RHD, is rated higher.

But again, after about the top 4, our prospect pool kind of sucks, right now. I don't see any reason why a good argument couldn't be made for any of the next 11-12 guys over any of the other guys in that group. I'm just trying to tell you why the board is likely still high on a guy like XO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Again, I'm not saying he's a good player. I don't think he's better than a Kindl/pressbox/7D. But that's literally infinitely more proven than Turgeon is. Which is my point.

Turgeon isn't a particularly great prospect (which isn't to say he's not, possibly, a good prospect), and I doubt anyone thinks he's a likely or possible 1/2C. So it shouldn't be overly surprising that a guy who played 1/4 of the season in the NHL, and only apparently got passed over last season for Marchenko because he's a LHD and Marchenko is a RHD, is rated higher.

But again, after about the top 4, our prospect pool kind of sucks, right now. I don't see any reason why a good argument couldn't be made for any of the next 11-12 guys over any of the other guys in that group. I'm just trying to tell you why the board is likely still high on a guy like XO.

I think XO and Sproul are just living off their reputation from years ago, at this point. But we will see. Sproul at least has some plus tools.

I do disagree with thinking the prospect pool sucks after the top 4, though. Personally I like Bertuzzi, Saarijarvi, Russo, Hronek/Smith a good deal. I think Turgeon can become a player similar to Sheahan, maybe a solid 3C.

Lot of unknowns though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You might be correct, but it didn't help his cause that we saw so few call ups of defensemen from GR last year. This was largely a function of Holland's inability to get off of the pot with Kindl and his obsession with depth. When you have a ton of depth and you don't actually end up needing the depth, you have fewer opportunities to call up kids from GR.

The real problem I have is how people can be so dismissive of XO as an NHL prospect and yet so convinced of Russo's NHL potential. By NHL standards, both have below average acceleration and speed for their size. Being a really good hockey player is not enough to get you to the NHL. You also need to be very, very athletic. I expect posters to be very underwhelmed with Russo during the preseason.

People shouldn't cry if XO and Sproul do not develop into NHL players. The overwhelming majority of 2nd round picks never establish themselves in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You might be correct, but it didn't help his cause that we saw so few call ups of defensemen from GR last year. This was largely a function of Holland's inability to get off of the pot with Kindl and his obsession with depth. When you have a ton of depth and you don't actually end up needing the depth, you have fewer opportunities to call up kids from GR.

The real problem I have is how people can be so dismissive of XO as an NHL prospect and yet so convinced of Russo's NHL potential. By NHL standards, both have below average acceleration and speed for their size. Being a really good hockey player is not enough to get you to the NHL. You also need to be very, very athletic. I expect posters to be very underwhelmed with Russo during the preseason.

People shouldn't cry if XO and Sproul do not develop into NHL players. The overwhelming majority of 2nd round picks never establish themselves in the NHL.

Does that maybe speak to the qualify of defenseman (or lack thereof) we have in the AHL as callup options?

I mean Athanasiou got 37 games in. Mantha got 10 games in.

I don't think anyone is "so convinced" of Russo's potential. One guy was voted #8, and the other voted #9. If what you said was true that gap would be much bigger. Russo just had a fantastic season, he deserves to be where he is.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Does that maybe speak to the qualify of defenseman (or lack thereof) we have in the AHL as callup options?

I mean Athanasiou got 37 games in. Mantha got 10 games in.

I don't think anyone is "so convinced" of Russo's potential. One guy was voted #8, and the other voted #9. If what you said was true that gap would be much bigger. Russo just had a fantastic season, he deserves to be where he is.

Perhaps, but you still need roster spots if you want to call someone up from the AHL. Under Kenny's system, roster spots only open when players get injured. He is reluctant to waive vets and almost refuses to trade players off of his roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad