3.) Evgeny Svechnikov - C/W - 19: 6'2" 205lbs - Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RUS 53.64%
4.) Dennis Cholowski - D - 18: 6'1" 177lbs - Langley, BC, CAN 67.92%
5.) Tyler Bertuzzi - LW - 21: 6'1" 190lbs - Sudbury, ON, CAN 30.51%
6.) Dylan Sadowy - LW - 20: 6'1" 195lbs - Woodbridge, ON, CAN 32.63%
7.) Vili Saarijärvi - RD - 19: 5'10" 165lbs - Rovaniemi, FIN 48.84%
8.) Robbie Russo - RD - 23: 6'0" 191lbs - Westmont, IL, USA 32.89%
9.) Xavier Ouellet - D - 23: 6'1" 200lbs - Bayonne, FRA 48.08%
10.) Ryan Sproul - RD - 23: 6'4" 206lbs - Mississauga, ON, CAN 27.14%

Ryan Sproul rounds out the top 10. Hopefully one of 8 through 10 gets a shot to make a difference and runs with it this year.

The add is Chase Pearson.

As always please vote, offer an add if you have one and discuss.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Smith, add Sambrook.

This far down the list of guys I think will ever really play in the NHL, Smith's physicality wins it over Holmstrom, for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We're at #11 and Turgeon is only getting 5% of votes? Wow, guess I think of him higher than most people. He's top 10 for me for sure.

Definitely add Sambrook.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, Turgeon is definitely top-10. This list is actin' a fool.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Its a popularity contest. Not an actual indication of where we expect each prospect to end up.

I picked Smith because I liked his Instagram video and his attitude. Seems like a top bloke.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, Turgeon is definitely top-10. This list is actin' a fool.

make a case for him being ahead of the people already there. Turgeon has a nice pedigree, a lot of good talk about his defense and PK abilities, but he also hasn't been the most pruductive guy in the WHL. Right now, I'm not sure what separates him from a guy like Nastasiuk who isn't even on the voting list.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
make a case for him being ahead of the people already there. Turgeon has a nice pedigree, a lot of good talk about his defense and PK abilities, but he also hasn't been the most pruductive guy in the WHL. Right now, I'm not sure what separates him from a guy like Nastasiuk who isn't even on the voting list.

he has shown a very significant improvement in that regard this past year at least

he went from putting up 18 goals and 43 points in 67 games last year on a team with the leagues top scorer plus a couple other guys with nice numbers to putting up 36 goals and 70 points in 72 games this year and leading his team in scoring by 13 points

still not particularly impressive numbers for a 19-20 year old season but a huge improvement nonetheless

he's definitely got trajectory on his side compared to Nastasiuk,it remains to be seen how Turgeon does in the AHL next year but Nastasiuk is a year ahead in development and has had a bit of a rocky transition to pro spending half his time in the ECHL this year

as far as top 10 goes tough to say really there's a lot of guys I think could reasonably be on that low end,i'd probably have him there personally too but for me it has more to do with being really down on Ouellet and Sproul nowadays than anything else(I would have Coreau and probably Turgeon there instead of them)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think he has underrated offensive ability to go with the good size and an already established defensive game.

I think his game will translate well to the AHL. Also looking at the GR roster, the following guys are listed as C's: Athanasiou, Nosek, Street, Globke. So, not really much competition. I expect after injuries force AA onto the team, and his play forces him to stay there, that Turgeon will have a top 6 C spot in GR sooner than later, and I think with good wingers he could produce decent numbers.

And I think he's a better player than Nastasiuk, so I'm not expecting him to go that route but we'll see.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
he has shown a very significant improvement in that regard this past year at least

he went from putting up 18 goals and 43 points in 67 games last year on a team with the leagues top scorer plus a couple other guys with nice numbers to putting up 36 goals and 70 points in 72 games this year and leading his team in scoring by 13 points

still not particularly impressive numbers for a 19-20 year old season but a huge improvement nonetheless

he's definitely got trajectory on his side compared to Nastasiuk,it remains to be seen how Turgeon does in the AHL next year but Nastasiuk is a year ahead in development and has had a bit of a rocky transition to pro spending half his time in the ECHL this year

as far as top 10 goes tough to say really there's a lot of guys I think could reasonably be on that low end,i'd probably have him there personally too but for me it has more to do with being really down on Ouellet and Sproul nowadays than anything else(I would have Coreau and probably Turgeon there instead of them)

I can get that argument, but it's not one that demands him being in the top10. At least not tome, and the bloom has come off of Nastasiuk because of that rough transition. Coming into GR, I'm not sure I see a huge difference between the two. Still, I get that argument for seeing Turgeon get some votes here, but I don't see anything that says it's a huge gaff that he's not up there.

I'm closer to what you bring up in the part I bolded. I see seven or eight guys who could slot into that 8-15 area and I'd have a hard time complaining. Do I have Sproul ahead of Turgeon? Yeah, but if Turgeon was #10 and Sproul was only getting 7% of the vote, while I would disagree with it, I couldn't see it as some sort of massive mistake.

What stands out to me about the list, at least so far, is that it's largely "older" prospects - 7/10 are 20 or older. 8-10 are all 23 yrs old. I don't think it's a popularity contest so much as a known quantity contest. Sproul is just as borderline as Turgeon, but he's closer just because he's moved through the system and hasn't bottomed out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can get that argument, but it's not one that demands him being in the top10. At least not tome, and the bloom has come off of Nastasiuk because of that rough transition. Coming into GR, I'm not sure I see a huge difference between the two. Still, I get that argument for seeing Turgeon get some votes here, but I don't see anything that says it's a huge gaff that he's not up there.

I'm closer to what you bring up in the part I bolded. I see seven or eight guys who could slot into that 8-15 area and I'd have a hard time complaining. Do I have Sproul ahead of Turgeon? Yeah, but if Turgeon was #10 and Sproul was only getting 7% of the vote, while I would disagree with it, I couldn't see it as some sort of massive mistake.

What stands out to me about the list, at least so far, is that it's largely "older" prospects - 7/10 are 20 or older. 8-10 are all 23 yrs old. I don't think it's a popularity contest so much as a known quantity contest. Sproul is just as borderline as Turgeon, but he's closer just because he's moved through the system and hasn't bottomed out.

And this is definitely true, and probably the only reason Hronek and Givani Smith are still left. Take Hronek for example, how much can you know about a kid playing limited minutes in the Czech men's league???

I think we will have a lot of movement by the time we do this again mid-season. I like Hronek, Givani, and Turgeon as risers given the opportunities they have.

I also think some people just have lost faith in some of the known guys in the top 10. I have a hard time seeing XO's game translating well to the NHL level barring a skating improvement, and it's not like I think the kid hasn't been working on it. I follow him on IG and he posts videos of him training all the time, and he seems like a hard working guy. Just don't know if it will come to fruition for him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And this is definitely true, and probably the only reason Hronek and Givani Smith are still left. Take Hronek for example, how much can you know about a kid playing limited minutes in the Czech men's league???

I think we will have a lot of movement by the time we do this again mid-season. I like Hronek, Givani, and Turgeon as risers given the opportunities they have.

I also think some people just have lost faith in some of the known guys in the top 10. I have a hard time seeing XO's game translating well to the NHL level barring a skating improvement, and it's not like I think the kid hasn't been working on it. I follow him on IG and he posts videos of him training all the time, and he seems like a hard working guy. Just don't know if it will come to fruition for him.

Not only do we not know much about the guy, but we've sort of lost some faith in our development/scouting with guys like XO, Sproul, etc. not really living up to expectations. There are people already bagging on the Cholo pick, at least partially working off the assumption that our scouts just can't get it right with D.

Agree about the risers, and I'd actually add Svechnikov to that list - especially if they try him at center in GR and he takes to it. I know he's high on this list, but it seems to be that it's because he's a #1 pick and there are a lot of things to like about him. I don't think a lot of people are sold on him, though.

I think Hicketts is another guy who could rocket up this list with a good year. Another guy who, if he translates well to GR, would answer a lot of questions.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

I think the difference with XO is that he can clearly play in the NHL. Maybe only as a #6/7 D, but he can do it. It's easier to vote for that in a prospect list than it is to vote for a guy who still has a lot of work to do before I'm sure he'll be able to make the club as the 13th/14th forward, let alone playing regularly. Which I hypocritically say, knowing that I voted for several guys who haven't proved it over XO.

That said, I think there's basically no difference in these guys after we hit #4 on the list (and I'm including a few of the other guys still in the poll or unmentioned). I'd guess that you could make a pretty decent argument for any of these guys over any of these other guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not only do we not know much about the guy, but we've sort of lost some faith in our development/scouting with guys like XO, Sproul, etc. not really living up to expectations. There are people already bagging on the Cholo pick, at least partially working off the assumption that our scouts just can't get it right with D.

Agree about the risers, and I'd actually add Svechnikov to that list - especially if they try him at center in GR and he takes to it. I know he's high on this list, but it seems to be that it's because he's a #1 pick and there are a lot of things to like about him. I don't think a lot of people are sold on him, though.

I think Hicketts is another guy who could rocket up this list with a good year. Another guy who, if he translates well to GR, would answer a lot of questions.

You're right, was just looking at guys listed at C on the team site, but I think Svechnikov will definitely be tried at center. So maybe him and a vet like Street will be the top 6 centers. Not really sure yet.

Not a big Hicketts believer, but if he can that's good on him.

Should be noted that Ouellet and Sproul were picked by different scouting staff than Cholowski and Hronek. So they shouldn't be lumped together necessarily. I like the Saarijarvi pick by Wright and co. so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the difference with XO is that he can clearly play in the NHL. Maybe only as a #6/7 D, but he can do it. It's easier to vote for that in a prospect list than it is to vote for a guy who still has a lot of work to do before I'm sure he'll be able to make the club as the 13th/14th forward, let alone playing regularly. Which I hypocritically say, knowing that I voted for several guys who haven't proved it over XO.

That said, I think there's basically no difference in these guys after we hit #4 on the list (and I'm including a few of the other guys still in the poll or unmentioned). I'd guess that you could make a pretty decent argument for any of these guys over any of these other guys.

How do you figure? He played all of 5 games in the NHL, and couldn't grab a spot on one of the weaker defenses in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad